Female Type C Receptable Used in Expansion Card?

Hello,
I’m working on designing a USB 3 hub expansion card to give two USB C ports per expansion slot. I took apart a USB C expansion card, and its receptacle is labelled “3C11H”. Of course, googling it doesn’t bring up anything useful, and I’m struggling to find one of a similar design (such that it’s in-line with the PCB, and not sitting on top of it). Does anyone know what part this is, or if there are any similar ones I could use in my design?

Welcome to the community :).

Two of those are very tight next to each other inside a expansion card.
But there are quite a few available, for example here: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/usb-dvi-hdmi-connectors/usb-dvi-hdmi-connector-assemblies/312?s=N4IgjCBcoEwBxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAPZQDaIALGHAMwCcArCALqEAOALlCAMocBOASwB2AcxABfQgDY6iECkgYcBYmRA0YYMDDmFN2mhFYhO3PkLGSJEoA

Additionally I have just published a prototype design for such a expansion card, you can have a look if you want :). Dual USB-C Expansion Card - #470 by tbe

Not to discourage you but designing a USB 3 hub is not trivial, especially in that form factor.

3 Likes

Those would be known as “mid-mount” connectors.

You might also want to look into @tbe’s work on this kind of project that has been released here: Dual USB-C Expansion Card - #470 by tbe

Edit: project files released because the developer had decided to take a break and may not return.

3 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t realize someone had already made one! I’m actually already most of the way through my design, but it’ll be a few months before I can get it fabricated.

1 Like

There have been a couple talked about in these forums, but no one has actually brought one to market yet. Good luck to you!

Surprised you didn’t search and find the following and that this one was not mentioned . . . ?

That one is not available yet either.

1 Like

Pretty sure there is more than one design in the works

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, but most of the mid-mount receptacles I see online have pins only on one side in a way that’s crowded enough to make the PCB layout near impossible. Ideally, I’m looking for a part like this USB Type C Socket - SMT Inline Breakout Board : ID 4396 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits (but ofc, just the receptacle without the pcb).

I’ve found a few plugs in this style, but no receptacles (i swear, i must’ve looked at every usb c receptacle digikey has to offer). I suppose the worst case is buying them from adafruit, desoldering them, measuring them, and putting them in my design, but that’s of course unideal.

If you’re looking at resorting to desoldering them from adafruit boards, search aliexpress first. They should have them available bare / not attached to a board. I feel like I’ve run into them there. Alie can be a pain to search though. And I’d suggest tearing down a sample alie connector to check its quality, like pin insolation. Also look at mouser, jlcpcb.com/parts.

Mouser and JLC turned up dry, but looks like aliexpress has them! https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803076061559.html

Still can’t find an actual part number or drawing but we’re getting close

EDIT: The aliexpress link has a drawing, which is in Chinese, which might explain why it’s been so hard to find

You might want to check out this one:

These will also fit next to each other. Might be an option for a single PCB design.

Looks like that’s the original part I’ve been hunting after! Thank you so much!!

EDIT: Looks like yours has slightly different dimensions than the aliexpress one I found, but yours looks like it would fit better