[TRACKING] Fingerprint scanner compatibility with linux (ubuntu, fedora, etc)

I finally had a chance to try this out and I followed @Ian_Cleary’s instructions and got the lib and the daemon to build without issues. However, fprintd doesn’t seem to be working correctly. Checking my user account in the Gnome settings shows me a grayed out option for fingerprint logins which disappears entirely after about 30 seconds. Running fprintd-enroll directly gives me an error after 25 seconds saying that it couldn’t connect to the service and timed out. Systemctl says that the fprintd module loaded, then immediately errored out, but I can’t tell what the underlying error was (“failed with result: ‘exit-code’”). The only thing that might be a useful error was the line “undefined symbol: fp_device_has_feature, version LIBFPRINT_2.0.0” which doesn’t give very meaningful results in Google. Any ideas?

I was able to get a fingerprint enrolled on Ubuntu 21.04 using the most recent instructions from Ian, except I had to also install libsystemd-dev and I had to add the install command at the end of the ninja commands so that libfprint and fprintd would get installed to /usr/local/

Specifically,

sudo apt install libsystemd-dev

and then for libfprint and fprintd:

ninja -C builddir install

Then, fprintd-enroll worked.

12 Likes

Have you figured anything out on this? I got myself into the same situation, same finger even. There is a “Clear TPM” checkbox in the BIOS Security screen, but it does not reset the fingerprint.

4 Likes

No, but I think the Framework folks are looking into it.

3 Likes

Okay, I tried building everything again from scratch, adding in @Ryan_Helinski’s comment about libsystemd-dev and this time watching the meson build output. I noticed during the build of libfprint that it seemed to be missing a reference to the Cairo graphics library, so I also added
sudo apt install libcairo-dev
as well. Built libfprint, built fprintd, and everything seems to be working as expected now.

1 Like

@R_L_Royall_Jr I also found that I did not have to install libfprint-2-dev. I have since also learned that other instructions recommend that you first remove the older, system-provided libfprint and fprintd with the command:

sudo apt purge --auto-remove fprintd libfprint-2-2

The new fprintd-* commands will still work with the system-provided software installed, but you might as well save some space and possible contention / confusion.

1 Like

I am having what looks like the same problem as some others have reported. I had successfully enrolled my right index finger and middle finger fingerprints on my first Fedora 34 respin install a few days ago. I reinstalled the exact same respin and got the error “Failed to enroll new fingerprint”. I was able to enroll some other fingerprints, so appears as if something is not cleared out on install. I repeated the experience with the respin that just came out today, August 16. After the successful enroll of a different fingerprint, I saw that a button for something like “Delete Fingerprints” appeared, so I tried that, hoping it would clear out the data that seems to be preventing me from being able to register my index or middle fingers on this fresh install. (edit: It did not resolve the problem.)

dnf info libfprint says I’ve got the following installed:

Version : 1.90.7
Release : 3.fc34

1 Like

I’ve solved the issue of the fingerprint option disappearing in Fedora34/Gnome40!

Found the solution here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/oik8sq/need_help_setting_up_fingerprint_auth_in_fedora_34/h4xvrqv

In short, these three commands brought it back in the UI (though I still have no idea why it disappeared in the first place - something I did while troubleshooting fprintd)

$ sudo authselect current
$ sudo authselect enable-feature with-fingerprint
$ sudo authselect apply-changes

Note - this doesn’t fix any issues with fprintd or the fingerprint reader itself. At this point, I had verified that fprintd-enroll was working perfectly, I just didn’t have the UI integration piece working.

4 Likes

On Ubuntu 21.04, I just installed libfprint and fprintd v1.94.0 following a slightly modified version of @Ian_Cleary 's instructions. Instead of sudo pip install I installed python packages in a virtual environment. It worked no problem for libfprint 1.94.0. When installing fprintd, however, I was stuck with this error message, even though I had installed the dependencies including python3-pypamtest:
meson.build:134:8: ERROR: Problem encountered: Python3 module 'pypamtest' required by test suite not found

My workaround was to comment out this line in meson.build:
'pypamtest': get_option('pam')

1 Like

Has anyone succeeded in using fingerprint for things other than the login screen? e.g. sudo on the terminal, or other dialog boxes that ask for authentication?

3 Likes

@Atul_Ingle my fingerprint works in terminal on the Respin of Fedora that Framework recommended.

3 Likes

@Atul_Ingle I use it to unlock 1Password, works perfectly. On first boot, I have to use my master password to unlock 1Password, but after that, I can just use my fingerprint.

UPDATE: Ooooh, I just noticed I can also use my fingerprint to sudo!

4 Likes

Oh. That is SLICK!

1 Like

if anyone’s wondering, setting up the fingerprint to work with sudo is simple for Ubuntu 21.04. just need to run sudo pam-auth-update and use the spacebar to enable fingerprint auth. there’s a stackexchange on this as well sudo - Use fingerprint authentication not only for login - Ask Ubuntu.

obviously, you need to have built libfprintd with the directions laid out above and enrolled your fingerprint. for me, i needed @Ian_Cleary’s directions and @Ryan_Helinski’s addition of using install at the end of the ninja command. additionally, i had to use sudo to install ninja since meson was looking for it in usr/local/bin. i built the latest version from source which is libfprintd v1.94 i believe.

5 Likes

@garrett528 I don’t see a fingerprint option when I run sudo pam-auth-update. I think I may have to manually edit some files in /etc/pam.d/

I have this problem. It appears the fingerprint reader has storage of its own, and when fprintd can’t tell the fingerprint reader what fingerprint to delete, it can’t tell the reader to wipe its memory and start over.

1 Like

We started a thread with the sensor maker to see if they have a solution for this.

15 Likes

I’m having an issue with building fprintd (v1.92.0) via meson builddir

meson.build:84:0: ERROR: Dependency "libfprint-2" not found, tried pkgconfig

but, libfprint (v1.92.1) build just fine.

in the log from the failed build of fprintd, I saw this error:

CMake binary for 1 is not cached
CMake binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.
Trying a default CMake fallback at cmake
Did not find CMake 'cmake'
Found CMake: NO
CMake binary for machine 1 not found. Giving up.
Run-time dependency libfprint-2 found: NO (tried pkgconfig)
full error log here

Build started at 2021-09-03T19:52:10.700819
Main binary: /usr/bin/python3
Build Options: 
Python system: Linux
The Meson build system
Version: 0.59.1
Source dir: /✂️/fprintd
Build dir: /✂️/fprintd/builddir
Build type: native build
Project name: fprintd
Project version: 1.92.0
Sanity testing C compiler: cc
Is cross compiler: False.
Sanity check compiler command line: cc sanitycheckc.c -o sanitycheckc.exe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
Sanity check compile stdout:

-----
Sanity check compile stderr:

-----
Running test binary command: /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/sanitycheckc.exe
C compiler for the host machine: cc (gcc 10.3.0 "cc (Ubuntu 10.3.0-1ubuntu1) 10.3.0")
C linker for the host machine: cc ld.bfd 2.36.1
Sanity testing C compiler: cc
Is cross compiler: False.
Sanity check compiler command line: cc sanitycheckc.c -o sanitycheckc.exe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
Sanity check compile stdout:

-----
Sanity check compile stderr:

-----
Running test binary command: /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/sanitycheckc.exe
C compiler for the build machine: cc (gcc 10.3.0 "cc (Ubuntu 10.3.0-1ubuntu1) 10.3.0")
C linker for the build machine: cc ld.bfd 2.36.1
Build machine cpu family: x86_64
Build machine cpu: x86_64
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
Target machine cpu family: x86_64
Target machine cpu: x86_64
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpynfvkkdh
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpynfvkkdh/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpynfvkkdh/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -fno-strict-aliasing 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -fno-strict-aliasing: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp8gtfnxbb
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp8gtfnxbb/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp8gtfnxbb/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wcast-align 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wcast-align: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp9so305f2
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp9so305f2/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp9so305f2/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=address 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=address: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmppssgu7x5
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmppssgu7x5/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmppssgu7x5/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=array-bounds 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=array-bounds: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp3vtgi8ti
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp3vtgi8ti/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp3vtgi8ti/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=empty-body 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=empty-body: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp9nkkp0bw
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp9nkkp0bw/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp9nkkp0bw/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=implicit 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=implicit: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpxe38oi4s
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpxe38oi4s/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpxe38oi4s/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=init-self 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=init-self: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp1wyngoul
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp1wyngoul/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp1wyngoul/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=int-to-pointer-cast 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=int-to-pointer-cast: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpesksuf2u
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpesksuf2u/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpesksuf2u/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=main 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=main: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpoma77u19
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpoma77u19/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpoma77u19/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=missing-braces 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=missing-braces: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp20iohb97
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp20iohb97/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp20iohb97/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=nonnull 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=nonnull: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp5emge_sd
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp5emge_sd/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp5emge_sd/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=pointer-to-int-cast 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=pointer-to-int-cast: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpq5v1x3_n
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpq5v1x3_n/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpq5v1x3_n/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=redundant-decls 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=redundant-decls: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpxxqgh2a8
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpxxqgh2a8/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpxxqgh2a8/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=return-type 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=return-type: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpw8o9m1j4
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpw8o9m1j4/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpw8o9m1j4/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=sequence-point 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=sequence-point: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp6aely5cq
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp6aely5cq/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp6aely5cq/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=trigraphs 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=trigraphs: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpi7z_4czj
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpi7z_4czj/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpi7z_4czj/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Werror=write-strings 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Werror=write-strings: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpktqnbf74
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpktqnbf74/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpktqnbf74/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wformat-nonliteral 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat-nonliteral: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpahseo_ex
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpahseo_ex/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpahseo_ex/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wformat-security 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat-security: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2xr77ii5
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2xr77ii5/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2xr77ii5/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wformat=2 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat=2: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpbcsycwm2
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpbcsycwm2/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpbcsycwm2/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wignored-qualifiers 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wignored-qualifiers: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpdlyh7tts
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpdlyh7tts/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpdlyh7tts/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wimplicit-function-declaration 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wimplicit-function-declaration: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp0z6sly7v
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp0z6sly7v/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp0z6sly7v/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wlogical-op 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wlogical-op: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpteudx0oe
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpteudx0oe/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpteudx0oe/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wmissing-declarations 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-declarations: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpfmcauw6o
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpfmcauw6o/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpfmcauw6o/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wmissing-format-attribute 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-format-attribute: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpymb8fkw2
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpymb8fkw2/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpymb8fkw2/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wmissing-include-dirs 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-include-dirs: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpl005_v4o
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpl005_v4o/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpl005_v4o/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wmissing-noreturn 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-noreturn: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpg70ok8e0
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpg70ok8e0/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpg70ok8e0/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wmissing-prototypes 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-prototypes: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpn0lflc9q
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpn0lflc9q/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpn0lflc9q/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wnested-externs 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wnested-externs: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2pz5x12a
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2pz5x12a/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2pz5x12a/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wold-style-definition 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wold-style-definition: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpveft2teb
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpveft2teb/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpveft2teb/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wpointer-arith 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wpointer-arith: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpx25hqa2k
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpx25hqa2k/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpx25hqa2k/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wshadow 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wshadow: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp15xsamzm
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp15xsamzm/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp15xsamzm/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wstrict-prototypes 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wstrict-prototypes: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpkcjs1ub_
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpkcjs1ub_/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpkcjs1ub_/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wtype-limits 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wtype-limits: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2u4qhq1g
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2u4qhq1g/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp2u4qhq1g/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wundef 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wundef: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpodrcq8pz
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpodrcq8pz/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpodrcq8pz/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wunused 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wunused: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpd1mkxbmi
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpd1mkxbmi/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpd1mkxbmi/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wunused-parameter -Wno-unused-parameter 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-unused-parameter: YES 
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp95oyxod7
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp95oyxod7/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp95oyxod7/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 -Wpedantic -Wno-pedantic 

Code:
 extern int i;
int i;

Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-pedantic: YES 
Pkg-config binary for MachineChoice.HOST is not cached.
Pkg-config binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.
Trying a default Pkg-config fallback at pkg-config
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (0.29.2)
Determining dependency 'glib-2.0' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0` -> 0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0` -> 0
-I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
env[PKG_CONFIG_ALLOW_SYSTEM_LIBS]: 1
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs glib-2.0` -> 0
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lglib-2.0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs glib-2.0` -> 0
-lglib-2.0
Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpsvaimxrm
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpsvaimxrm/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmpsvaimxrm/output.exe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 

Code:
 #include<stdio.h>

int main(void) {
            printf("%ld\n", (long)(sizeof(void *)));
            return 0;
        };
Compiler stdout:

Compiler stderr:

Program stdout:

Program stderr:

Running compile:
Working directory:  /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp77_nzddv
Command line:  cc /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp77_nzddv/testfile.c -o /✂️/fprintd/builddir/meson-private/tmp77_nzddv/output.obj -c -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O0 --print-search-dirs 

Code:

Compiler stdout:
 install: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/
programs: =/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/
libraries: =/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../lib/:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../:/lib/:/usr/lib/

Compiler stderr:

Run-time dependency glib-2.0 found: YES 2.68.1
Pkg-config binary for MachineChoice.HOST is cached.
Determining dependency 'gio-2.0' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion gio-2.0` -> 0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --cflags gio-2.0` -> 0
-pthread -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs gio-2.0` -> 0
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs gio-2.0` -> 0
-lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
Run-time dependency gio-2.0 found: YES 2.68.1
Determining dependency 'gio-unix-2.0' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion gio-unix-2.0` -> 0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --cflags gio-unix-2.0` -> 0
-pthread -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs gio-unix-2.0` -> 0
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs gio-unix-2.0` -> 0
-lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
Run-time dependency gio-unix-2.0 found: YES 2.68.1
Determining dependency 'gmodule-2.0' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion gmodule-2.0` -> 0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --cflags gmodule-2.0` -> 0
-pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs gmodule-2.0` -> 0
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgmodule-2.0 -pthread -lglib-2.0
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --libs gmodule-2.0` -> 0
-Wl,--export-dynamic -lgmodule-2.0 -pthread -lglib-2.0
Run-time dependency gmodule-2.0 found: YES 2.68.1
Determining dependency 'libfprint-2' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]: 
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion libfprint-2` -> 1

CMake binary for 1 is not cached
CMake binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.
Trying a default CMake fallback at cmake
Did not find CMake 'cmake'
Found CMake: NO
CMake binary for machine 1 not found. Giving up.
Run-time dependency libfprint-2 found: NO (tried pkgconfig)

meson.build:84:0: ERROR: Dependency "libfprint-2" not found, tried pkgconfig

so I installed cmake. and ran `meson builddir` again, but the error about libfprint-2 remained.

In another thread, I learned about ninja -C builddir install, which I ran in the libfprint directory.

And now I get a different error from fprintd meson builddir

meson.build:148:8: ERROR: Problem encountered: Python3 module 'gi.repository.FPrint' required by test suite not found
1 Like

Use Void Linux, where the binary package is at 1.94.0 :wink: (shameless plug)

1 Like

Well, I’m already using Ubuntu 21.04 – (and have a lot of setup scripts for ubuntu, so I think I’ll stick with that)