Framework 13 Alternative Screens - TL134ADXP01 & TL134GDXP02

Hey all, back with some new screens to test since my last post on using the BQ135QAN01 on my Framework 13. I’ve been using the BQ135QAN01 as my daily driver since I last posted. Overall, I feel that its fairly similar to the original screen in terms of brightness, colour, etc.

My goal has been to push up the scale in terms of brightness and refresh rates, while still keeping to glossy screens (as I come from a Macbook previously and really like the glossiness).

The TL134ADXP01 will be called ADX from here onwards & TL134GDXP02 will be called the GDX from here onwards

I am aware that the new FW13 and the new screens have been announced, but if you’re finding this independent of my previous posts, I have been looking for a better screen for quite some time. I decided to post this as it may still be helpful to anyone finding this.

Key notes on both:

1. Thankfully, I found a vendor on ebay that sold both these screens. Both screens are 13.4 inches, but of different aspect ratios
  2. On purchase, the vendor did ask if if i was using it for a laptop or an external project. When i said an external project, he offered to send me the driver boards for both for a price. I paid $160 for both screens and an additional $120 for the driver boards.
  3. On inspection, both driver boards are the same. The ADX seems to house a full driver board and thus just takes a simple cable. The GDX needs an LED driver for its backlight so there is a breakout board that drives the LEDs.
  4. See notes below for individual notes and pictures

Specifications

Spec TL134ADXP01 TL134GDXP02
Dimension 293.5mm x 189 mm 288.2mm x 197.7 mm
Resolution 2560x1600 2520x1680
Aspect ratio 16:10 3:2
Refresh rate 165Hz (155Hz actual, see notes) 90Hz
VRR VRR: Not sure (see notes) Yes (48Hz - 90Hz)
Surface finish Matte Glossy
Colour Rated 8 bit Rated 10 bit
Pinout 40-pin 0.4mm 30-pin 0.4 mm

TL134ADXP01 key notes

1. The ADX is rated for 165Hz but i’ve only been able to set it to 155Hz. I’m not sure if this is a driver board issue or FW13 issue. This was the external driver board issue - I have tested with another driver board and the screen works at 165Hz VRR without issue.
  2. Able to set experimental VRR(48Hz up to max refresh rate set) on Gnome but screen blanks out when testing with UFO test on full screen. Please note that VRR on Linux is still experimental and possibly may not even be caused by the screen
  3. The ADX comes with its own fully functioning internal driver board. The external usb-c driver board seems to merely take the DP/usb-c signal and convert it to the required eDP pinouts
  4. The brightness is just slightly higher than the original screen
  5. Didn’t realise the screen was matte - and FYI in case anyone is particular about this
  6. I have deduced the pinout of the screen based on the pinout of the driver board. I can’t vouch for it being 100% accurate
  7. The screen does not fit the space available in the FW13 frame. You will need to machine out the sides if you want to fit it in.
  8. The maximum thickness of the screen is ~5mm as the driver board has been folded and taped to the back of the screen
  9. The driver board has an enable VRR setting.
  10. Based on my experience, this board runs on a standard 40-pin pinout layout. It should work directly with a the framework laptop and a 40-pin 0.5mm to 40-pin 0.4mm adapter.

TL134GDXP02 key notes

1. The GDX is smaller than the original screen, so there is a significant gap in the frame (see pictures)
  2. The screen is noticeably brighter(screen is rated 500 nits max) and the colour is definitely punchier. However see the 2 below notes.
  3. The breakout LED driver board is pushing too much power to the screen. The board is pulling 14 watts total (see pictures) which is insane. The screen is only rated for 5 watts total (backlight + lcd).
  4. The screen is rated for 10 bits but I have no idea how to check this on my Fedora(Wayland)
  5. Expected pinouts for this board will be posted below.
  6. I am aware that this screen is indeed VRR rated. The VRR does seem to work, as at various point I have seen the driver board OCD displaying different refresh rates. The screen also does not blank out when trying the UFO test on full screen.

Overall, I think the GDX is pretty nice. I have a custom board I have designed that I will try manufacturing and the goal will be to integrate this into the laptop, failing which I will just go with the new Framework screen.

Pictures

ADX:

GDX:

Common driver board:

Edits:

1. Changed the ADX to reflect that it works with VRR 165Hz with a driver board that supports it
  2. Added note to the ADX that the screen pinout is standard and that you can drive it directly from the laptop with a pinout converter / adapter
6 Likes

Additional notes on testing:

1. See edits to TL134ADX. The gist of it is that this is a fully fledged 165Hz screen that can run direct of the laptop with a 40-pin 0.5mm to 40-pin 0.4mm adapter
  2. The driver board is quite inefficient. I have tried it with another driver board and the ADX takes less than 5 watts max and the GDX takes about 10 watts max.
  3. I believe the original consumes somewhere between 3 - 4 watts on max brightness, so the ADX is on par given the higher brightness and refresh rate.
  4. The GDX needs a backlight driver, and so its efficiency is dependent on that. It has a theoretical maximum power requirement of less than 5w, so sans conversion losses, it should also be in the same ballpark.
  5. I’m pretty impressed with the brightness and clarity of the GDX. I have already added it to my laptop. I however will iterate through some custom driver boards to get the driver package to fit into the frame. I’m also worried that the existing driver is pushing too much power to the screen and that probably will burn out the LEDs faster
2 Likes

Really cool! As a glossy enjoyer it’s great to see some alternatives.
I’m actually curious if it’s possible to remove the matte layer on the new Framework’s display which would be a lot easier to fit than these.

1 Like