Framework 13 not turning on/charging issue

Last time it was on it was strugging to charge, on and off while using the Anker 65W Powerpoint 3 adapter, once it died it just stopped charging didn’t matter the adapter/wire.

Left it alone for weeks and just re-attempted and now I have the amber light on, laptop seems like it powers on with the white LED power button on but no display. I’ve tried moving the USB C card to the other ports and it flashed green, amber and blue at one point.

It doesn’t seem like it’s charging at all. Is it possible that the Anker brick ruined the internal battery?

What gen do you have? The 11th Gen won’t start without a charged ML1220?
In which case you will have to do a mainboard reset.

Yeah the 11th Gen.

Just did the reset about an hour ago. Left it charging. Tried to power it on and got a solid green light (first i’ve seen in a while) but no display and white LED power button on. Turned it back off and leaving it to charge the 24hrs.

You may need a new ML1220. Framework will send one for free so contact them. However it may be quicker to buy one locally or online.

Ensure it is the ML1220 not the CR version which isn’t rechargeable.

See also this topic on the vulnerability of the CMOS/RTC ML 1220 it requires regularly charging.

There is also a work around to have the CMOS and RTC powered by the main battery so the ML 1220 can be avoided/dumped.

This workaround requires a bit of work

The more recent option is to ask for this

Appreciate all the info! It’s unfortunate that this is just a band-aid fix and requires a workaround.

Months before this issue I noticed it stopped holding a good charge to the battery compared to when I first purchased it, I assume it relates to the RTC?

RTC and normal battery are separate entities. If you turn it on after a full reset it could take a little bit to train the memory without displaying anything. So you might need to be patient.

It’s a design flaw or errata if you will of the 11th gen board combined with a bug with 11th gen processors that makes it get stuck.

The RTC Battery Substitute module I believe makes it worth like subsequent generations. Though just replacing your RTC battery will make it work again like usual.