Framework Laptop 13 Deep Dive - Creating a custom high-resolution display

Batch 1 of the 2.8k display is shipping! Very excited :slight_smile:

1 Like

2.8k display just arrived! Wasn’t sure I’d ever see 120hz on this laptop, but wow… it’s beautiful…

I still need to tune some things to make 200% scaling on linux better, but it finally feels usable instead of just cartoonish.

The rounded corners are also very small. The bottom corner is just a few pixels, the top right corner is invisible since I’m using gnome with the black status bar on top anyways.

Great job framework team!

3 Likes

I did get the 2.8K screen today :blush:. Very beautiful thing and works perfectly under Fedora with 200% scaling.
I’m fairly new to linux but managed to enable the experimental fractional scaling and variable refresh rate settings :blush:.

1 Like

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who’s gotten one to use with KDE plasma on how the rounded corners are in actual use.

Probably gonna pick this up if it’s not super jarring.

If I recall correctly (and I might not be or this may have changed), if the experimental fractional scaling setting is enabled on GNOME then even when scaling is set to 200% some apps will appear blurry (as it still treats it as fractional scaling even though it’s 200%). I suggest disabling the experimental fractional scaling setting.

1 Like

Ah I have one app that looks a little blurry, I’ll have a look if that’s the cause. I do use fractional scaling for my external monitor.

This is absolutely true! If 200% works well, you should absolutely disable fractional scaling. They don’t behave the same and some applications (Vivaldi, in my own case) look awful with it enabled.

1 Like