Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle

The fingerprint reader update fails with: failed to req: transfer timed out.

$ fwupdmgr update
Devices with no available firmware updates: 
 • WD BLACK SN850X 1000GB
╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ Upgrade Fingerprint Sensor from 01000330 to 01000334?                        ║
╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ Fix physical MITM vulnerability that was found from blackwinghq - a touch    ║
║ of pwn part 1.                                                               ║
║                                                                              ║
║ Fingerprint Sensor and all connected devices may not be usable while         ║
║ updating.                                                                    ║
╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Perform operation? [Y|n]: 
Writing…                 [                                       ]
failed to write: failed to req: transfer timed out

I tried powering off the laptop and waiting a few minutes before restarting, but neither seemed to have worked.

p.s. This update comes from the regular lvfs repo and I’m using the latest fwupdmgr in Fedora 39.

EDIT: Welp right after writing this post the update worked.

Successful Manjaro update from 3.03 to 3.05. Running kernel 6.8.5-1 and everything appears to be working properly. Almost no errors in the journal and I notice my average power consumption’s dropped by a couple of watts.

When i try to update to 3.05 i just get a black screen and when reboot it say error 2 decompress failed

On Windows 11, and just updated to BIOS version 3.05 using the utility, was successful and have no issues.

On Fedora 39 and also just received BIOS version 3.05 through the Software app. The update was successful. I’ll continue testing to see if there are any regressions (hopefully none!)

I updated this morning, and it seems to have changed the fan behaviour which I haven’t found a way to work around yet. When adding a little load my CPU temperature rises up to 100°C, but the fans are not really kicking in, only producing a light blow. Consequently, the cpu gets throttled down.

I am on Arch and using the power-profiles-daemon as recommended by Framework Laptop 13 - ArchWiki

I have set the fan speed to autocontrol via ectool.

I’m observing the same issue (PPD, no manual ectool changes) but not sure if BIOS related. The fan will eventually ramp up but it will take a long time to start let alone reach peak RPM. Once it does temps stay around 95C at 3.6GHz all-core load.

I ran the following 3 times to confirm:

1. Wait for CPU idle temp to stabilise (39-40C in my case)
  2. Run all core CPU load with stress, i.e. stress -c 16 and start timer.

CPU will shoot up to about 4.2GHz and 100C then start to throttle down to about 3.1 GHz. Fan does not ramp up at any audible level until about 35 seconds in. It will then [very] gradually ramp up every 5-10 seconds until it reaches a peak about 1m20s into the test. With more airflow core frequency will also increase a bit more to about 3.6GHz.

Needless to say, this is extremely sluggish fan behaviour.

Edit:
Some further investigation:

• fan barely audible at 100% single core load at 4.8GHz sustained with temps in the 98.9 - 99.5C range; I would expect the fan to be at max RPM with these temps;
  • no difference if PPD is running at all or not;
  • no difference between amd_pstate modes, though amd_pstate=guided does seem to at least keep the CPU temps at bay a bit better in all-core loads while the fan eventually wakes up from slumber and decides to slowly ramp up;

If there’s a BIOS rollback procedure I’d be happy to dig into it and compare. Ditto re the informational USB messages mentioned earlier which, I admit, may have already been there before and only just noticed by actively looking for them.

1 Like

This has been my experience as well. Dunno if it is intended or if it is indeed a regression of some sort.

I’ve just had a look at my desktop workstation, which is AM5 based, and the We don't know the algorithms for LPM for this host, disabling LPM. info message in dmesg is also showing.

Obviously, It’s not a like-for-like comparison, but I’m far more inclined now to think that this is completely unrelated to the FW 3.05 BIOS release and was likely there even with 3.03. So no need for anyone to worry about seeing it in the logs.

Have had no issues with the new BIOS under Debian Sid.

2 Likes

Have you, or could you (please), run a stress test keeping an eye on CPU temps and fan? Just curious how your fan behaves. It might help in diagnosing if this is an isolated issue and, if so, if it’s hardware/distro/BIOS related.

I’m having trouble updating my amd 13 BIOS from 3.03 to 3.05 using the EFI shell update, following the instructions here. I’ve downloaded the correct BIOS zip (Framework_Laptop_13_Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.05_efi.zip)
and

extracted it to a 10GB FAT formatted USB,
unmounted,
reboot into BIOS,
disabled secure boot,
boot from file,
navigated to efi > boot > bootx64.efi
executed and let the terminal run automatically
immediately receive the error update.nsh not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or script file

what can I do from here?

I was about to update the same way as you, until I read that running the script might delete your UEFI bootloader entries making your system unbootable if you don’t know how to recreate them.

Honestly I wanted to save myself the trouble, so I just enabled the “testing” repo of fwupd and it found the update at that point. Install went well (it also found a fingerprint reader firmware update). Just revert back to the stable repo of fwupd after rebooting, to make sure you’re not accidentally installing beta firmware in the future. :wink:

fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing

And once you are done:

fwupdmgr disable-remote lvfs-testing

2 Likes

The 3.05 BIOS is out of beta and has been released for GA. You don’t need lvfs-testing anymore. Running just

fwupdmgr --force refresh

should suffice.

1 Like

Updated to 3.05 using LVFS last night. No problems.

I did, initially, have the issue of the update not showing up (standard or “testing”). But I believe that was due to the bug in libxmlb. I ran a normal update, rebooted, then checked for the BIOS and it found it.

1 Like

How do you measure fan speed? It doesn’t seem to be reported?

I installed the new bios update yesterday via efi-shell and usbkey.
Since then i have had my machine randomly going in sleep or hibernation state, and keyboard, touchpad and on/off button not working (not even lit).
I am running fedora 40.
Anyone else facing similar issues?
Cheers

Yes, it doesn’t seem to be reported by any sensors that are exposed to the OS on Linux as far as I can tell (might just be my set up).

But you can use your ear sensors :slight_smile: If reported CPU temp is high, especially >= 90C, and the fan is barely audible, or not at all, then there’s a problem with the configured fan behaviour.

I have the 7840U variant, which has a Tjmax of 100°C.

By use of my ear sensors, fans kicked in at CPU 96C and ramped up slowly. Kicking the temps down 10C.

Over sustained load, fan seems to ramp up and down randomly, almost sounds like the ocean. Guessing it’s reacting to temp changes in different parts of the system.

Now sitting at CPU 84C GPU (integrated) 70C with fans sounding low.

Completely normal.

Interesting. Glad to hear a normal result. I’m also with the 7840U.

Still…

• Are you using PPD? If so, what PPD profile? If not already, you can try to repeat the experiment with the “performance” profile.
  • What mode for amd_pstate do you have set? You can check this with cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/amd_pstate/status
  • What do you use to generate the ‘sustained’ load?

For the example I gave above I used stress -c 16 to spawn 16 threads of CPU compute load. CPU should shoot up almost immediately to 98-100C (which is expected) and the fan should, ideally, start to ramp up immediately, and reaching peak audible level not long after. 1m20s in my earlier post is too slow. I would expect peak audible RPM within 10 seconds.

I rarely see the GPU go above 70-75, which is fine.

I just re-ran my earlier experiment, first run started from CPU temp at 33C idle, ambient temperature 17C. The CPU stayed at 99C for good 40-50 sec before the fan became audible and again reached its loudest at 1m25s.