Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Battery and Speakers

Just like the 13, the battery is disappointingly small compared to the MacBook Pro. Not using a 100Wh battery all but ensures that the framework will never compete on battery life.

1 Like

Arguably, no laptop on the market can compete with Apple silicon as they’re completely different architectures and ARM chips will be more efficient than x86. However, what the Framework 16 brings to the table is potentially a hotswappable battery (like the thinkpads). Side note, battery size doesn’t always indicate how good battery life will be as there are numerous ultrabooks that have fairly good battery life but with 50-60 Watthour batteries.

7 Likes

Will the Framework 13 get a audio board and speaker upgrade based on these new improvements?

2 Likes

So, I’m curious, any chance Framework team could give me a ballpark figure of the battery life for this awesome laptop? I know it can vary, but it’d be super cool if you could give me a rough estimate or a range.

If I understand correctly, the Expansion Bay System could also double as a battery. If the new framework 16 came with an AMD APU, I wouldn’t mind sacrificing some GPU performance.

1 Like

Great blog post! I appreciate the great speakers and battery connector.

Out of curiosity, why does the sticker block the oscillating membrane of the speaker in the picture?
To be honest, I don’t know much about speakers, but it seemed funny to me!

3 Likes

If they changed the FW13 main board battery connector I would still want to have inter operability with old batteries. Unless they also brought out a way to repurpose the, now obsolete, perfectly good battery when it came to motherboard upgrade time. CoolerMaster battery bank anyone?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Power Efficiency and RISC or CISC in Efficiency Cores?

An adopter perhaps? No sure how sturdy that will be and space might be an issue internally?

I do remember FW showcasing a prototype to reuse the battery, I hope it becomes available in the marketplace just like the cooler master case.

2 Likes

Is it old-fshiond wheree you can swap the battery without screws orn removing the back cover?

Can we please get the dimensions and pinout of the battery? This isn’t much of a deep dive without that (very helpful–at least for me) information.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The answer is no, you could also watch the video :slight_smile:

There are a few, search for some etc. Here’s a link to one

and

I would be really helpful to know about the charge and discharge current of the Battery. This will pretty much determine if the Laptop will be usable on battery. If the battery can only provide 50W the device would be barely useful, since CPU and GPU would have barley any power budget
(I know this problem from my roommates laptop, that is slower than my current one when on battery)

There is no ‘current’ as standard, or do you mean max current.

For charging it may be set as standard for all Li-ion batteries, maybe around 0.5C or (85W ÷ 16V is just over 5A) so divide by 2 for a 2 hour charge and you get 2.5A, to a max of 5A for a short period

For discharging the amps is down to the load, and no doubt can provide the 85W at 5A or a bit more

I currently use my laptop for a lot of online meetings and then I have to connect my conference speaker. I mostly use a Jabra or Konftel USB speakerphone.

Is the audio quality in the framework laptop comparable with a dedicated USB conference phone in the 100$ - 200$ range?

There are two main aspects to this.

• The microphone must have good audio pickup and be able to filter out noise. The ones listening to me should have good audio quality.
  • The speakers should present voice with clarity. Good bass is not very important. I have tested speakerphones that sounds good when listening to music but don’t provide voice clarity.

The import feature of conference audio is voice that is clear and easy to listen to. Voice that is not easy to listen to puts on a cognitive load that lowers meeting performance.

Hello! Probably not the best place for this question, however as I saw the video from The Verge where he mentioned that the only gaming module in the US got broken and couldn’t provide footage or information of its gaming performance it got me thinking if you guys have ever considered working with like frore systems to make fans for the laptop or a module (on the back) and try to get a “dust proof” laptop. Sorry if this is not the correct place, feel free to remove it.

There is some discussion over here
Cool tech: a solid-state fan for laptops

Oh i didnt know about that one, Thank you so much! Hope you have a great day.

Hey there!
Will we be getting the rest of the announced deep dives? I’d be excited to learn more about what will probably be my next (and hopefully for a while last) laptop! :‌D

Hi, welcome to the forum.

We should get the remaining deep dives, we just don’t know when. Framework has not given any indication that they won’t complete the remaining deep dives.

1 Like

+1 for the Connectors deep dive!