Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Enclosure

I was thinking along the line of recycling. Can you recycle resin or break it down somehow?

From my memory of the past 1-2 years, thereā€™s a lot of research going into recycling of carbon fibre because of its increased use into industry. But not sure about the state of it right now.

2 Likes

I assume you can burn it. Remember you need to burn lots of stuff to melt aluminum. Recycling the raw materials isnā€™t the only aspect.

2 Likes

Trust me (bruh) when I say I understand thereā€™s a cost at every step of creation / construction and destruction / deconstruction of product and material, along with logistics (A to B) of not just the product, byproduct, raw material. Majority of the population only focus on the production side of things, post-consumption treatment has always been an afterthought (in comparison)

e.g.

2 Likes

Yetā€¦

It can also be an idea for the FL13 (it may even be a better idea for the FL13 actually, thanks to the smaller screen weight/torque).

Ah, I found also this one (itā€™s closer in size):

Iā€™ve tested and used flip-around and detachable keyboard models at work. The initial cool factor fades fairly quickly, IMO. But Iā€™m a techy, and tend to type a lot - maybe Iā€™m just not the target market.

Unless perhaps you have an ultralight model like a 10" windows tablet. maybe that would work. Framework 16 has absolutely no chance of ending up that light lol

Canā€™t be as heavy as this guy:

Or this:

Everything else is light once you tried carrying something like that.

1 Like

I had one of those fujitsuā€™s in college. Also currently using a surface laptop studio, both designs can technically accommodate a larger rear than the screen physically can rotate around. But being possible and being reasonable are two things.

The point is, these arenā€™t easy to make hinge designs. The Fujitsu would require a complicated double rotating hinge mechanism that would likely cut into the space where the expansion bay sits. A SLS style hinge would require a ton of extra machining & tooling, and result in a much heavier top screen section. The prior devices were also incredibly expensive compared to normal laptops of their time.

I donā€™t see it as very realistic to expect Framework, with their current capabilities, would consider going down this very niche use-case at this time.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not expecting, Iā€™m just showing the technical possibility!
Maybe it can even be done with an unofficial project by a fan!

Iā€™m also fine without a 2-in-1, but for those who arenā€™t, they can start imagining and trying out designs.

Great work team. I am so excited to watch where this is leading. And canā€™t wait to get my hands on the 13" Laptop.
In love with your mission. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Letā€™s try to keep this on-topic please. Iā€™ve gone in and removed/edited the offending messages.

4 Likes

Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connected screen maybe, with magnets or string to hold the parts together

That thing is crazy. DM on what it was? Looks like a ā€œluggableā€ server!

Anyway, the deep dives are building a product story. Look forward to the rest of them.

@Morpheus636 My apologies if I went off topic, I am new to forums and how they work.

2 Likes

I wonder if the display could open 180 degrees (or a little less but similar). My current laptop can open to about 140 degrees and itā€™s not enough for me to work comfortably with laptop placed on my legs. I think I need 20 more degrees to be fully able to use it.

1 Like

Will this new enclosure have a hole for a laptop lock?

What exactly are the measures of the FW Laptop 16?
From the article, we only get to know that it is 18/21 mm thick. But how wide and deep/high is it?

4 Likes

There is a new support page regarding the dimensions:

The FW 16 is remarkably narrow (356.6 mm), but quite long with 270 mm.

1 Like

24Kg

:rofl:

2 Likes

That looks like an OGP bug haha (probably attempting to sanitize links or something like that). The page itself lists the correct info.