Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Liquid Metal

Fascinating.

Would this make user-replacing the cooling system more complex?

Are the pads re-useable if you remove and refit the cooling? Or would the pad need to be replaced?

See you all took a page from the PTM mod for the Framework 13 ;3 just teasing :P. Though
I do hope there will be an option for more capable cooling in the future though, the heat pipes on the FW16 seem lacking compared to other laptops.

Would I be correct in the assumption that the metallurgy of the FW13 heatsink is not compatible with the liquid metal of the FW16’s factory premade thermal pad?

(Assuming the factory 16 pad was perfectly aligned in the 13, it would just eat into the heatsink)

Edit: Forgot to highlight that the U variant’s operating ranges are probably suboptimal for LM pad compared to the HS if you have to be IN the intended operating range.

It’s not alu at the very least, otherwise mine would be in some deep trouble XD

On a more serious note, just use ptm, gets you most of the way there without any of the risk.

The u performs pretty nicely with more cooling, I can do 45W sustained after I figured out how to get around the stapm limits with lm, unfortunately I only figured that out after I moved to lm so don’t know how close ptm gets to that, up to the 30W stapm limit ptm and lm are pretty much equal in my testing.

there’s also the multiple layers of engineered seal on the fw16 that are lacking on the fw13.

keeping the liquid metal in is kinda important.

1 Like

That’s the foam barrier in the thermal pad though if I’m looking at it the right way.

The extra seal around the chip itself can be done manually like you would in extreme overclocking/marine waterproofing.

If the question is if you can put conductonaut on it then that is yes, if you should is a whole other question XD.

Basically, but specifically using the FW16’s replacement pad. The little sheet and barrier is nifty.

Not that I need it, but my background in motorsports development has me curious.