Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Memory and Storage

@John The post says Gen4x4 so that’s 4 lanes of PCIe 4. So max throughput would be about 7.8GB/s.

1 Like

Any idea if/when the Dual M.2 SSD Holder Module will be available for sale? I have a use for this as soon as I get the 16s I ordered.

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t believe Framework has said.

“Two more in the expansion bay” is very specific for a suggested DIY project. With a PCI splitter, one could probably fit more sad in there.

The 2 seems to come from a prototype they made. The design is available at github, so it remains unclear if the expansion is planned or is just a POC.

2 is what would fit there, within the non-GPU shell (if you had the pcb). The shell was designed to allow for DIY pcbs, with a back panel that can easily be replaced with a 3d printed one if you need port cut-outs.

I think the fact that they already had a dual SSD design suggests they were at least considering selling one. Plus, them mentioning the ability to add two more SSDs like that, without qualifying the statement, is very suggestive in my opinion. And with the fact that Framework-16 preorders have been far beyond what they expected, it increases the chances that it will be worth it for them to make it & sell it themselves.

But they have not announced it, so we can only guess.

Seems they’ve chosen the best 2230 M.2 that exists, but still this is a dramless SSD form factor - so I don’t see it keeping up with the main 2280 NVMe.

1 Like

Does the frame.work team see a way that modders could fit a second 2280 into the framework 16 in the future? I’m curious what that would be. Thx!

I prepared a way, but won’t be able to test it, before receiving my Framework Laptop 16:

1 Like