[RESPONDED] Coreboot on the Framework Laptop

Not exactly, if SPI controller is supported by flashing tool e.g. flashrom one can hot swap chips. It would work as follows:

• boot your platform to OS with functional BIOS storage
  • while system booted remove BIOS storage
  • place second chip (spare one) in socket
  • flash development/debug version of coreboot/BIOS/UEFI
  • reboot the platform and gather logs
  • modify you coreboot/BIOS/UEFI code and repeat until you get working firmware

I will teach that technique in free OST2 training called Architecture 4032: coreboot Hands-On

1 Like

Interesting, so far i used a eeprom programer with a SOIC-CLIP for flashing. It has the upside that it ignores the flashing protection that most laptops have and you can always reflash a corrupted bios. Its a rather dangerous method though since using the wrong programing voltage will destroy the chip. Trying to create a somewhat working coreboot image is definetly something i might try in the future even though i still lack a lot of experience and knowladge on this topic

1 Like

Yeah, you are right this is one of the most popular methods while developing or modding firmware. What Iā€™m saying is that there are different methods and not all of them make sense for all hardware. Clipping hundreds of time a day, while you develop/debug coreboot or other Open Source Firmware can be really annoying and eventually can destroy something. coreboot developers in some situation repalce the chip with socket and make it swappable, what gives ability to hot swap, of course if you can leverage SPI controller. Some intresting notes can be found on old coreboot wiki

2 Likes

HEADS support would be so awesome!

2 Likes

Any idea whether the Fn key status in the EC? RWEverything doesnā€™t seem to show any useful changes, but I thought Iā€™d ask the hive. =)

Just got my Framework and started messing around with it.

It does look like the EC is really something Chromium based, like claimed earlier in this thread by @nrp . The EC image can be found in the AP SPI flash at offset 0x01400000 and has size 512 KB. Running strings on it I see plenty of strings that indicate the firmware came from the chromium EC and is using the MEC1701 chip, and an ISL9241 charger. Curiously, the board is named ā€œhx20ā€ (perhaps this is an internal codename?) However, attempting to send cros_ec host commands over eSPI using ectool isnā€™t going anywhere, this interface appears to be neutered.

It would be great to see if Framework can mail their patches upstream to the Chromium gerrit. This way we can modify the EC to our heartā€™s content.

In terms of debugging, thereā€™s two headers of curiosity: JSWDB and JECDB, both come unpopulated. I havenā€™t messed with them to see if I can get a UART or connect a J-link via SWD.

The AP firmware is just Insyde H20 BIOS. Coreboot porting time anyone?

4 Likes

Where would one find the required copyright information required by the use of the chrome EC codebase? Itā€™s just the standard 3 clause BSD license, but that requires that the license and copyright be included with the distribution.

Iā€™m not trying to lawyer or complain here, Iā€™m just trying to make sure that everything is in compliance so that there isnā€™t a bigger problem later.

Maybe a list of opensource projects used along with their licenses could be an added page in the BIOS? If you open a chrome browser and go to chrome://credits/ youā€™ll see what Iā€™m suggesting. This is automatically generated from the build, which is nice, but even a manually managed list would be good.

1 Like

@Martin_Roth The little ā€œuser manualā€ that came with my laptop says

Software Licenses
For information on software licenses for embedded firmware or included software in the product, check the software licenses page at the following link: https://frame.work/software-licenses

3 Likes

Is this topic the best place to track for updates to frameworkā€™s BIOS and privacy?

1 Like

There are threads dedicated to beta bios revisions

That would be a better thread I think

Iā€™m on mobile so linking is hard but the search function should bring you straight to the relevant thread

2 Likes

Adding another user wanting support for Coreboot.

5 Likes

same here, currently the only thing that holds me from buying is boot guard enabled/locked cpu on board.

in my opinion frame.work donā€™t need to port coreboot to their laptops - just make version of the board which is unlocked - and opensource community will do the rest and port coreboot by themselves. there are alot of firmware hackers (like myself) who would certainly put some of my private time to make it happen.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s another vote for more open firmware. I truly believe open source and transparency is the best way forward for humanity.

8 Likes

Adding another vote for open bios even though I would probably never flash it, I said the same thing about my phone before running CyanogenMod for a few years. Openness and hackability are things I appreciate.

5 Likes

I wonder if we could get an estimate on the ec source release timeline? I am dying to try out some esoteric keyboard layouts.

2 Likes

I am also gonna sign my name here! Open source EC and Coreboot are definitely must-haves!

3 Likes

FYI: there is a german company (9Elements) doing a lot of coreboot work, including porting. I just read an article about a Microsoft engineer successfully booting Windows 11 on a Coffee Lake server board with coreboot (plus Tianocore I think) thanks in part to their work. Maybe they could be of help?

2 Likes

As long as Intel Boot Guard is enabled it will not be possible. Framework would have to create a separate motherboard

1 Like

@nrp @Kieran_Levin ā€“ iā€™m currently researching for a new laptop purchase and having this would make the framework easily edge out the other options. is there anywhere i could follow along for status? is there a rough timeline for when it might happen?

1 Like

@khimaros You see a bell button on the right side of this thread. You can select ā€œWatchingā€ to be notified by email.