[SOLVED] FW 16 Keyboard backlight

No mention of OS. As procedure fails inder Fedora 40, I’m assuming windows.

It works under Linux as well.
See this post: FW 16 Keyboard backlight - #17 by MJ1

Thanks. Please post the udev rule(s)

The instructions are in a collapsed section, which you can click to show. Sorry, that wasn’t clear. I edited it.

No, initially it was snaps, but I changed to regular deb packages for this

Not brightness, cycles through different breathing speeds. All I want is for the backlight to actually stay on, but so far nothing allows that to happen.

This is really some odd behavior. I activated that breathing by accident just today. There was certainly no VIA app involved. I think I was trying to hit something like pos1 or something when whatever I hit triggered the breathing. Using the VIA website with the udev rules did fix it for me. The question is, what key combination activates that mode in the first place?

That’s odd. Even when I somehow activated it by accident today, Fn + Space was still changing brightness. Maybe @Matt_Hartley or someone else at Framework would be so kind and shed some light on this situation.

Try Fn + C.

I don’t see it listed on the FWL16 hotkey page, but Toggle backlight breathing, BL_BRTG, is on the default keymap under Fn + C. I’m guessing it’s an oversight that it wasn’t listed on the hotkey page.

From the latest keyboard firmware v0.2.9/keyboards/framework/ansi/keymaps/default/keymap.c

[_FN] = LAYOUT(
        FN_LOCK, KC_F1,   KC_F2,   KC_F3,   KC_F4,   KC_F5,   KC_F6,   KC_F7,   KC_F8,   KC_F9,   KC_F10,  KC_F11,  KC_F12,  KC_INS,
        _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______, _______,
        _______, _______, RGB_TOG, RGB_MOD, RGB_HUI, RGB_SAI, RGB_SPI, RGB_VAI, _______, _______, KC_PAUS, _______, _______, _______,
        _______, _______, KC_SYRQ, RGB_RMOD,RGB_HUD, RGB_SAD, RGB_SPD, RGB_VAD, KC_SCRL, _______, _______, _______,          _______,
        _______,          _______, _______, BL_BRTG, _______, KC_BRK,  _______, _______, _______, _______, _______,          _______,
        _______, _______, _______, _______,          BL_STEP,                   _______, _______, KC_HOME, KC_PGUP, KC_PGDN, KC_END
    ),
3 Likes

Thanks, Fn+C did stop the breathing and now with that stopped Fn+Space does adjust brightness.

Looks like I am late to the party, looks like it is resolved now. Glad to hear you have it sorted.

Just stumbled upon this too when my non-RGB keyboard switched to breathing instead of static backlight. The FN + C key combo should really be listed on this page

2 Likes

Thank you. This fixed it for me. I’ve had this randomly happen and then vanish.
Follow up: Is there a similar hot key for the num pad?

Yep.
+ is Toggle backlight breathing, BL_BRTG, on the default keymap when Numlock is off.

From the latest numpad firmware v0.2.9/keyboards/framework/numpad/keymaps/default/keymap.c

/*
     * Extra keys for when numlock is disabled.
     * Numlock keys are passed through to the number layer,
     * and automatically remapped by the OS.
     *         β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
     *  4 keys β”‚    β”‚    β”‚    β”‚    β”‚
     *         β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
     *  4 keys β”‚    β”‚    β”‚    β”‚    β”‚
     *  3 keys β”‚Homeβ”‚ ↑  β”‚PgUpβ”‚BL  β”‚
     *         β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€Brtgβ”‚
     *  4 keys β”‚ ←  β”‚    β”‚ β†’  β”‚    |
     *  3 keys β”‚End β”‚ ↓  β”‚PdDnβ”‚BL  β”‚
     *         β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€Stepβ”‚
     *  3 keys β”‚ Insert  β”‚Del β”‚    β”‚
     *         └─────────┴────┴────┴
     * 21 total
     */
    [_FN] = LAYOUT(
        _______, _______, _______, _______,
        _______, _______, _______, _______,
        _______, _______, _______,
        _______, _______, _______, BL_BRTG,
        _______, _______, _______,
            _______,      _______, BL_STEP

)

It’s not present on the Macropad though.

Fn+C worked for me. Now Fn+space cycles keyboard brightness as intended.
Thank you.

@Matt_Hartley ^ Perhaps you could pass this on, internally?

I don’t have RGB, so I’d remembered the only hotkey concerning the backlight I thought applied to mine. If β€œFN + C” had been listed just below the β€œFN + space” hotkey, it would’ve saved me some trouble. :wink: