FW Laptop 16 - automatic brightness control linux

Hello, I am trying to set up automatic brightness control on my framework 16. I checked whether my sensor reads info properly and I can confirm it works. I ran: sudo watch cat /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_illuminance_raw and it was periodically changing based on light in my room. Sensor seems to work.

To manage automatic brightness I used this program: GitHub - mikhail-m1/illuminanced: Ambient Light Sensor Daemon for Linux
Installation went fine, I configured it and the result was that the service started normally after I fixed the config file.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get the adaptive brightness. In my journal (journalctl -p 3 -xb), I got the following:

Jun 12 14:01:41 Samo-PCFW kernel: i2c_hid_acpi i2c-FRMW0003:00: failed to set a report to device: -121
Jun 12 14:02:23 Samo-PCFW kernel: i2c_hid_acpi i2c-FRMW0003:00: failed to set a report to device: -121
Jun 12 14:02:37 Samo-PCFW kernel: i2c_hid_acpi i2c-FRMW0003:00: failed to set a report to device: -121
Jun 12 14:07:26 Samo-PCFW kernel: i2c_hid_acpi i2c-FRMW0003:00: failed to set a report to device: -121
Jun 12 14:07:39 Samo-PCFW kernel: i2c_hid_acpi i2c-FRMW0003:00: failed to set a report to device: -121

Sensor was reporting correct ambient light in the room but display brightness did not change.

Info

• Which release of your OS (Operating System / Windows 10, 11, Distribution of Linux)? Arch Linux + KDE Plasma 6
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with? Framework Laptop 16 with Ryzen 7, no dGPU, Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB drive, Kingston Fury 32GB Ram Kit
  • If this is a Linux issue, please use the Linux tag or at least put Linux in the title.
  • If there is no information pertaining to your issue or question, please let us know here: Framework | Support Framework | Fix Consumer Electronics

Well, on google, no similar info seems to be printed. Does it mean I should report this to FW support?

If you mean directly contacting support, then no.
Only Fedora 40, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS are supported. Framework | Linux Compatibility on the Framework Laptop. There are far too many distros with different setups for them to test and support more than a couple.

Arch or anything else means just community support / posting on the forum and asking for the help of anyone around. Framework staff do make an effort to help if they have time, but official Linux Framework support will tell you to test with a supported distro.

This is labeled as Mint, but really it applies to anything outside the officially supported distros.

Maybe this tool works for you instead?

Looks like you did what the Arch wiki recommends. Works well on Ubuntu/Fedora, however I’ve heard of others dealing with issues on Arch KDE.

This thread appears to have had some success, might be worth checking this out:

While some of the workarounds there are Intel specific, they may get you moving in the right direction.