[RESPONDED] Gentoo on the Framework Laptop

K, it’s all working. The problem is that the 12th gen hardware is too new for the latest stable kernel. Unmasking and getting latest kernel sources from portage and compiling did the trick.

2 Likes

did you have to enable any specific modules in the kernel to get it working?

Unfortunately I can’t attach the .config and make.conf here as the forum file upload policy forbids that, but the config mentioned here works: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1148336-highlight-framework+laptop.html

I will upload the dot files to github after I get some sleep :slight_smile:

Bottomline: sound, video, multitouch works, w00t

2 Likes

Here’s a set of dot file you could use as a reference or as is, when installing Gentoo GNU/Linux on your 12th gen Framework laptop:

Let me know if I missed something.

Right now I am in the process of setting up OpenCL, if anyone got tips - please chime in!

2 Likes

Brightness control keys not being registered is solved by disabling CONFIG_HID_SENSOR_HUB in the kernel config. Apparently that conflicts with something something from another thread.

Any tips & tricks for running Gentoo on alderlake?

Most things run as expected, OpenCL driver, apparently, does not fully support the hardware yet, sadly. It passes the basic diagnostics, but fails in practice in at least some instances.

Just finished setting up the hardware, flashing a gentoo iso now

1 Like

@muirrum you might be better flashing another OS(like arch) and installing it to a small parttion and use it for the installation of gentoo. I found that it would sometimes crash on the live GUI OS

OS is installed!

Thanks for the suggestion! The livegui worked fine for me.

I’m just dealing with setting up i3 and then theoretically that should be it for initial setup! I ran into some issues with the kernel and getting all the WiFi modules right, even looking at the wiki article, so right now I’m on a distribution kernel with plans to shift to a compiled kernel later on once I have it more fleshed out.

I’m now running into some funky issues with the AX210 card similar to those described here and here. lspci -k reports that the driver is loaded:

a6:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev1a)
      Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210 160MHz
      Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
      Kernel modules: iwlwifi

Other network interfaces will work just fine, but the wifi card doesn’t show up as an interface in ip addr or related commands. I tried removing the apparently problematic firmware, to no success. I’m trying downgrading the kernel below 5.11.13 now.

EDIT: Turns out the latest kernel is masked by ~amd64, and that has the required firmware for the AX210. Built kernel 5.19 and it works fine.

Updates on this, still can’t get multitouch to work. Trying upgrading to ~amd64 system-wide

You can just use the kernel config that I uploaded, it has support for multitouch, wifi, etc. You need to unmask the latest kernel sources. You will need to edit appropriate xorg.conf files (which you can find in the same repo as the kernel config as a reference) in order to setup the touchpad behavior.

That is not necessary. It’s a kernel config + xorg.conf.d combination that controls that.

Oh, nice. I just found your xorg.conf.d thing, which kernel config fixed it for you?

The main one was:
CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH=y I think.

A possible issue that I had was, probably, the fact that I tried editing .config by hand. Don’t do that, as often settings aren’t living in isolation and can effect other settings when setting/unsetting, that is usually handled automatic by the system, if you use make menuconfig, but if you manually edit the config file, any mistakes with dependent setting will be not recognized.

I’ve now tried the kernel config and the xorg.conf.d and neither work. When PS/2 emulation is disabled, the mouse refuses to work at all.

This is certainly interesting

EDIT: It works in the livegui (KDE), which I find even more interesting.

I started installing Gentoo onto the laptop but I did use the gentoo-kernel-bin and I get about 5 seconds into boot up and it hangs, I have the mid-range 11th Gen option from before the audio chipset change.

I can still chroot into it so I can definitely do some emerging and try building a custom kernel config to see if that resolves my issue. I’ll refer to the Gentoo wiki link above for that.

I am trying to multi-boot and do a head to head between EndeavourOS, Ubuntu, and Gentoo to see if any of them offer faster speeds when loading software, start-up and shutdown, etc

Update: compiled the kernel setting all of the options and it’s now booting. However I’m finding that Gentoo itself didn’t do as I asked originally and it didn’t compile a desktop manager… different issue but that’s a bit of a turn off considering how much I’m needing to continue doing “post install”.

That’s strange. We have basically the same hardware (as long as that’s 12th gen), the kernel should just work, unless we use different versions of dependencies or there’s a mistake somewhere.

Try using latest linux-firmware and xorg, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-5.19.9 . Also, what does “neither work” mean exactly? Can you describe where it fails, can you tell why? Do you use initramfs?

That kernel uses all the bells and whistles whether you need them or not, similar to the LiveUSB kernel. Try compiling the kernel config that I linked instead.

question for those who have install gentoo on a 12 gen
how many threads have you put (MAKEOPTS and NINJAOPTS)