GPU display support

So, I am considering preordering a Framework 16 with the AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S model but I have a concern: how many external displays can it run simultaneously, specifically on Linux? I cannot find documentation answering this question anywhere. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

It can run two displays directly on the 7700S; the internal screen and one external screen using the port on the back. Any of the other ports go through the integrated 780M.

The dGPU supports 4 displays. The internal display does count towards that when the display is on, however I expect that when the lid is closed it probably won’t.

There is physically only one port on the dGPU (and the ports on the laptop connect to the iGPU), however you can use an MST hub (built in to most docking stations) or monitors that support daisy chaining.

There are two conflicting answers here, can anyone else provide insight?
Thank you ^^

There is no way to manually control MUX especially on Linux. See this thread for more information:

All side ports are connected to the iGPU. So only monitors connected to the back port are connected directly to the dGPU. I don’t know if you can connect more than one monitor to this port using a hub.

1 Like

Thanks for this, I have posted a similar question specifically asking about using an MST hub and for anyone else wondering, this should be possible, using an MST hub with a USB-C input and however many display outputs you need (up to the maximum the card can support, which I am still not sure about)

My setup will just have 2 external monitors, plus the laptop display, so a simple MST hub from Amazon will do the trick in my case.

1 Like