[GUIDE] Tips for getting openSUSE fully up and running

Thanks for the tips! I was just thinking about installing OpenSUSE TW. Currently running Arch but it seems isn’t the cutting edge they claim it is, they are still running gnome 42. OpenSUSE, Fedora, and even Ubuntu are already there :). Will be moving soon to OpenSUSE.

1 Like

@Ricardo I updated the guide to explain how to get improved speaker sound qualiy, if you wanna check it out.

Also its kinda odd that Arch doesn’t have gnome 43 yet, lol.

Thank you for your comment too btw.

1 Like

There is a type in fprintd in this line.

I’ll check out the audio stuff, thanks!

I’d also suggest just blindly nabbing the entire fonts pattern, and grabbing opi or zyp/zow(when it’s finished), the latter tools allow you to interact cleanly with the OBS.

I’d also recommend, heavily, grabbing packman as well.

@Senhara Again this wasn’t supposed to be a full guide. Just things specific to the Framework for the most part.

@Ricardo Thx.

Hi! I was running openSUSE for a while, then switched to Kubuntu for a bit. Now I am trying to reinstall openSUSE TW but am having trouble getting the installer to load on boot. I keep getting punted to a screen where I am told that the installer can’t find the repo, and to try and re-enter the URL. It seems like this is caused by a lack of ability to pick up my network card, and the installer isn’t loading the network module correctly. Interestingly, when I use a much older ISO, (on kernel 5.12) the same issue happens. If anyone had an ISO from kernel 5.18/19 sitting around I could give that a try to see if it is a kernel issue. Anyone have any ideas for how to resolve the issue?

1 Like

@Isaac_Peetoom_Heida Could it just be an issue with the installer? Have you tried using the offline installer? I have an offline installer with Snapshot20221029 that I used and I was able to connect just fine after installation.

@slothlike when I tried with the offline installer, the installer also failed to pick up my network card. Interestingly, when I tried the Krypton live image, it picked up the network card and showed my wifi network, but wouldn’t let me connect. If the offline image doesn’t seem to ship with the drivers required to pick up the network card, is it still a good idea to install?

@Isaac_Peetoom_Heida Right I should have clarified, when I tried the offline installer, it failed to recognize the network card but once it was installed it worked just fine. It also seems I’m not the only one:

That’s why I said it could just be a bug or issue with the installer itself. That being said, I’m not completely sure with the current version of the installer so I can’t say anything for certain.

3 Likes

@slothlike replying to you from my fresh install of openSUSE. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

@Isaac_Peetoom_Heida I am sorry I wasn’t able to help, (like a lot of my projects I can never stick to them, this guide included :sweat_smile:), but I am glad you were able to get help! Thanks @slothlike.

I am now back on fedora after coming to the unfortunate realization that a large number of rpm packages out there favour RHEL distros over SUSE ones, but I still like openSUSE, and I am going to polish off this guide a bit more and hopefully keep up with the comments a bit better too!

Could you specify whether this post is for Tumbleweed or Leap in the title?

Hi, I have a few questions.

1. Is the fingerprint setup still needed with Tumbleweed? In the Fedora 38 guide it’s not needed anymore but it was in Fedora 37. Furthermore, the openSUSE Wiki says that fingerprinters should be detected automatically.

2. For enabling the brightness hotkeys the guide written by the OP recommends adding blacklist hid-sensor-hub to /etc/modprobe.d/framework-als-blacklist.conf. Meanwhile, the Ubuntu guide*, the Mint guide* and the Manjaro guide* say to add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub" to /etc/default/grub, followed by sudo grub-update. The Fedora guide instead uses the command sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub". So there’s three different approaches, what’s the correct one for openSUSE, or do they all work?

3. The Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro guides also recommend adding GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvme.noacpi=1" to /etc/default/grub, followed by sudo grub-update, for less battery drain from the SSD when suspending. For Fedora the guide instead uses the command sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="nvme.noacpi=1". This is missing from the OP’s guide, but as all other distros seem to need manual intervention I would assume that’s also the case for openSUSE, or does it automatically use the right battery-saving setting?

4. The Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro guides - but not Fedora! - furthermore recommend adding wifi.powersave = 2 to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf in order to prevent Wifi dropoffs. Is this needed for openSUSE (specifically Tumbleweed) or does it “just work” like it apparently does on Fedora?

'* sorry, I had to remove the links because I am a new user and not allowed to use links for some silly reason! Just follow the link to the Fedora guide and then on the left you’ll see the Ubuntu/Mint/Manjaro guides.

Hi OP here. I unfortunately have switched to just using Arch on all of my systems so unfortunately I am not quite in the loop anymore of the status of how things work in openSUSE anymore unfortunately. As for that thing about improving SSD battery drain, I honestly just didn’t know that option existed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though because it is something I actually kind of want to use now.

Linux Support Lead here. We have not vetted any distro not appearing on the Linux page. And this explains what all of this means.

It’s been a minute since I have run OpenSUSE myself. Running GRUB, I would emulate the Fedora guide (and the grub methods mentioned). Then after adding to grub config, grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/grub.cfg

Basically repeat to match Fedora 37/38 guides.

Power save changes should not be needed on newer kernels (guides to be updated on that), but if you experience dropping of wifi, use them.

EasyEffects now has a package in zypper.
Also after running pam-config --add --fprintd,
I get:

WARNING: module /lib/security/pam_fprintd.so is not installed.

Some searching makes led me to bugs reported on a redhat forum and an openSuse forum. The recommended fixes did not work for me, wondering if anybody ran into anything similar.

1 Like

I have the same problem and I am running openSUSE Tumbleweed. It looks like pam_fprintd.so is not part of any of the packages in that location. What I did do was locate where the file does exist and linked it.
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/security/pam_fprintd.so /lib/security/pam_fprintd.so

Running the pam-config command did work but it looks like it still isn’t quite configured properly. Plasma does register the finger prints but the fingerprints do not unlock the system. I must be missing something. :thinking:

Hey Nathan, I was on the same boat. Try this, it works for me now:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_fingerprint_authentication