Hard shell | case for framework laptop wanted

Would anyone else be interested in a hardshell case? I would personally like something like this (a bit thinner perhaps):

Recent Reddit posts showing dropped framework laptops with bent corners have me a little worried. While it’s nice to be able to buy replacement parts… not having to is still the best option. I don’t believe that theirs currently enough framework users to warrant a company making a mold for a case for this laptop sadly.

I was considering 3d printing corner reinforcements for the lid and base. I’m not particularly good at parametric design though. Really need official shell 3d model to boolean off of. Plan was essentially to attach them with 3m foam inside recessed grooves. Not sure if a stiff TPU would be best or perhaps just single wall PLA which would crumple and absorb impact. Even if fully ridged it would spread out impacts I think.

A parachute expansion card is also an option :slight_smile:

It would make it a bit less sleek of course but as one of the Thonkpad converts I personally wouldn’t care.

11 Likes

If Otterbox came out with something to ruggedize the Framework laptop, I’d instantly buy it.

I’ve ordered Dbrand skins for mine, which will protect against scuffs and scratches. My plan to defend against drop damage is to just be really careful.

I’m currently shopping for a carry case / pouch and a separate bag or backpack.

5 Likes

Hell, or even the equivalent of a Spigen clear case on this bad boy. That would be pretty useful.
The only issue I can see is that you’d most likely not be able to open the hinge to its full 180 degrees with a case on.

1 Like

I too would buy a hardcase for my Framework in a heartbeat… to be honest its my second laptop I ever bought new and I’d like to keep it that way…

Yes an anti grav engine that kicks in at a certain force measured by the accelerometer. Oops! I think we need another expansion card for the lack of a built in A-ometer.

Still until we get such an expansion card anti corner crunchers seem like option for those with slippery fingers or wild children and dogs flaffing around the environment.

I have dropped mine a few times, for I am a clumsy man, and one of the major advantages already is that I was able to take the display out for a bit and simply bend the bump back into place enough not to worry about it damaging the display.

The mock up looks super cool though.

2 Likes

Ahh yes I am also looking for something like this!! Would be so nice

I am waiting for my batch 2 to get shipped.

In the meanwhile I am looking for a hard case for the framework.

On my previous laptop I had a UAG case, which worked really well, but UAG is currently not offering one for the framework.

Does anybody know of a similar kind of case/cover?

1 Like

Hoping hardshell case options become available! I’m not talking about a bag to carry it in, but a shell to attach.

Question, how important is shock protection for the components on the framework, given that the drive is solid-state? HDDs were the main reason for spring protectors e.g. on old ToughPads afaik, so is it not so important with the framework?

3 Likes

It doesn’t fit as tightly as the examples shown, but I’m looking at this UZBL case/bag combo from Amazon as a solution until a custom-fit hard shell case becomes available.

I had a clear Speck shell for my late-2000s MacBook, and I’d love to have something similar for my Framework.

1 Like

Did you end up purchasing this, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

Has anyone found a suitable hard shell yet? I just purchased a laptop 13 and I’m a bit worried about damaging it.

I don’t think Framework is popular enough yet for anyone to create a hard shell to fit it.

2 Likes