High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

It also happens under Fedora 35, which I set up dual booting for.

Granted I haven’t looked all the way back up, but what expansion cards do you have installed?

Looking at your sleep report it seems like your computer is doing what S0 is supposed to do. Standby until 5% is drained, then enter hibernation. In your case you are getting ~30 minutes of standby before exceeding the 5% limit. I would point this to expansion cards. Although if you leave a audio application open and qeued to play music this will prevent deep sleep as S0 makes it so that you can still play music. (Don’t ask me why. I think this is irrational and something not a single person using a computer for work ever wanted.)

When it says the screen is active, this should be you using it, I mean it says that you were charging at part of this report as well (initially when you hit 27%). Are you saying that you DID NOT use your laptop at all during this cycle?

I’d like to make another report of extremely high temperatures during sleep.

I closed my laptop (it should have gone to sleep as per my settings) and sat it down on my desk, then plugged it in.

I come back after about 15 minutes and unplug the laptop. The fans immediately ramp up to maximum (they were off while the laptop was plugged in), and the bottom of the laptop is extremely hot. Certainly the hottest I have ever felt it, to the point of discomfort when touching the area around the CPU.

This is unacceptable behaviour. A laptop should not overheat to that extent while closed.

I will revert to having the laptop hibernate when the lid is closed, but this much heat, while the laptop is charging, where the fans do not turn on, is dangerous.

Make sure you flash the 3.06 bios firmware to your machine. It has an update which permits the fan to turn on why in standby when heat is an issue. I have not been able to test it yet, as I’m primarily using hibernation now, but I believe this fix was in direct relation to the issue you and others (including myself) have already reported.

1 Like

Hi, I’d like provide another datapoint to this discussion. My laptop discharges at a much higher rate (4,738mW, or 5% over 30min) compared against even the other reports in this thread. There should be no activity on the device, and I have disabled network connectivity during sleep.

My powercfg /a:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
    Hibernate
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
        This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.
        The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
        Connectivity in standby is disabled by policy.

Example drain:

There’s nothing obvious in the top offenders list.

Right now, I’m forced to disable S0, which severely degrades user experience as waking takes ~10-20s. I have the latest firmware and bios flashed, running Windows 10 21H1 19043.1348, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz.

Are there any tips on how to diagnose this further?

1 Like

If you go to regedit Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power and set PlatformAoAcOverride to 0 and reboot, S3 will probably become available to you. The time your framework takes to wake up will increase from almost instantaneous to around 8 seconds so that’s a trade-off.

C:\Users\Honoka>powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Fast Startup
        This action is disabled in the current system policy.
3 Likes

I’ve now got two overnight tests with just USB-C ports installed, my HDMI and USB-A removed. Web browser closed but no special effort to kill background tasks. The first didn’t doze in 8:40, reporting 230mW drain, the second dozed at 6:27, 424mW. Both wildly better than the 2-3 hours to 5% at something near a watt with the USB-A port installed. HDMI out with USB-A in never seemed to make much difference, certainly not this much difference.

2 Likes

It has been. Felt like things weren’t moving on this – decided to return my framework laptop primarily because of this issue :\

I’ve seen this on my own, but it was directly related to whether I had an audio application open. Basically if you hit the play function key and sound starts, that needs to be closed, BEFORE entering standby. When I do this, instead of only a half hour, I got a little over 2 hours.

I trust we’ll see some improvements in the future, but this low level stuff is difficult and takes time.

I suspect it will be closer to the Fairphone model, especially for this first product. The exception might be if they develop a mainboard with a different architecture or chip (ARM,RISC-V,AMD, etc).

I’ve seen a few posts on this here and one or two on reddit. I’m working from my memory here and can’t link a specific post but I’ve seen Framework staff active on those threads and they are working on these issues. In terms of timeline who knows thought. Observing and re-creating a bug is very different than fixing it. Software fixes and validation can take an extremely long time, much more than people would think. Given Framework’s track record so far of actively working on fixes and releasing new driver bundles and BIOS’s I’m sure this will get better over time.

The lack of communication on this issue the last several weeks does make one wonder whether it can even be fixed or not. The issue is glaring and universal. I can’t imagine they missed the high idle power draw from non-USB-C expansion cards and high standby drain in QA, which makes me speculate they have been working on a fix for a while without much to show for it (or given up and accepted it as a necessary trade-off of their design)

I DO want to clarify I love my laptop! But it is an annoying change in workflow to work around this laptop’s standby shortcomings

My battery life has improved with the 3.06 BIOS update. Hopefully, it can continue to be improved.

I’ve been having a similar problem to this, but I just shrugged it off as the laptop having really bad battery life. I’d bring it to school everyday and I’d have to charge it twice during the school day just to keep it running. While I did do some intensive tasks every so often during the school day, like photo editing in Affinity Photo, I didn’t do it very often.

I’ve had my Framework Laptop since September and I’ve been using it daily, but I’ve always had 3 USB-C modules and 1 micro-SD module plugged in. For some reason, the SD reader would show up as a separate drive in Windows even when nothing was in it. I did the sleep study thing that was suggested here and I found that the USB Mass Storage Device (the SD card reader) was almost always active, and also the Intel Smart Sound thing. I also noticed that a device without a clear identifier was using a lot of power as well. I’ve had the 3.06 BIOS beta installed for about 2 weeks now and I haven’t noticed a change. Because of this, the laptop would drain really fast when in sleep mode, so much that if I were to charge it at night, unplug it in the morning, and leave it in sleep mode all day, it would be dead by the evening.

Yesterday I tried running the new driver installer package and it seemed to install well. I’m also leaving the card reader unplugged unless I have a use for it, so I can see how the battery life is affected.

I’ll show my sleep study results from before the change and then after it in a few days when it has enough info for an accurate analysis.

1 Like

Interesting to see some of the responses here. I have to say I don’t think I’ve ever, ever owned a laptop that’s actually done standby properly. They always either drained themselves to death or never entered standby. I just use hibernate! My current work laptop flat out refuses to go into a Standby state, and my personal Surface Pro never seems to quite get there - you can tell because the keyboard backlight never goes out…

It would be a pleasant change just to get a few hours of standby working properly, even if it means I have to swap out a USB-C expansion card for the few times a month I want to plug in something different :thinking:

That is a really weird result to me. The USB C cards are just passthroughs. I was under the impression that they don’t use power at all.

Did you have a music player open or any audio streaming? Even if it was a paused youtube video, for example?

Still no news, eh? Disappointing.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if they can fix this in the firmware. Typically systems have a BIOS option for whether or not to provide power to USB devices in sleep mode. This would be a blunt instrument, but I’d be happy enabling this as I never charge devices off my laptop in sleep mode. And/or more advanced firmware that knows which USB devices (e.g. active expansion cards) should not get power in sleep mode, if that’s possible.

A lower tech idea could be a hardware switch on the expansion cards themselves to disconnect them, a.la the webcam and microphone switches. Or hardware pressure switches inside the ports so they physically disconnect from the laptop when there’s no cable attached.

Just spitballing ideas here since my current solution is yanking the HDMI and USB-A cards when I need the battery to last :confused:

1 Like

Has there seriously been no communication on this issue in the past several months? Just got my framework the other day but the sleep issue is a major problem for me. I really don’t want to have to return the damn thing.

1 Like

Windows 10 or 11? and where did you change the hibernation threshold?