High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

Using device manager, you can right click on the fingerprint entry, and then under power management(?) make sure to say that Windows can power off the device, and that it is not permitted to wake the system from sleep. That should allow Windows to turn it off when in standby.

Just test it out, and see if it fixes the problem.

That option is already checked by default.

1 Like

I’ve been underclocking this laptop now to 2.2GHz to see if it makes a difference to battery drain at all in general use (just using Word).

To be honest it still burns through battery at like 1% a minute. Never had such a thirsty laptop.

At that rate, it’s an indication that you have some tasks / processes running in the background.

Well yes, very hard not to in Windows. Always at least 60+ things running in the background. I don’t think Google Drive/Firefox and Word at the same time is over the top however.

Not doing 4k transcoding with some Lightroom batch processing in the background. :grinning:

Is your system even able to go into idle?

Because it sounds like you’re going through some 25W+ power consumption.

When it comes to Firefox…some sites are really poorly designed (and uses a lot of resource in the background). Maybe something to look into. e.g. Auto Tab Discard – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

I have been around PCs since the early 90’s so I used to running a tight ship. :grinning:

Just did a timed 5 minute usage. 69% dropped to 66%. Max wattage hit was 10.5W, usual was 3.5W. Running Firefox (4 tabs, only extensions are uBlock/Disconnect and NoScript) and Word. Screen at 50% brightness. 33% Ram usage. no GPU to speak off. Just not touching it using 5-10% CPU. Nothing unusual in Task manager either. Just usual backgrounds.

Apps - 3
Background - 55
Windows Services - 83 (Windows 11)

In the time I typed that…65%.

CPU average wattage should reach down to 0.5w, with overall system wattage reaching down to under 2w.

Anyway, if the ‘usual’ was 3.5W…(I read that as average) over 5 minutes, then it doesn’t explain the 69%–>66% drop in 5 minutes.

Something isn’t adding up…there’s some unknowns.

I was using the machine.

Okay powered up and no apps open (other than HWMonitor) just sat there for a few mins, lowest wattage recorded is 2.3W.

It’s under-clocked and thirsty!

The battery just nose dives in this machine. It has since I had it. I’m no power user…its running at 2,2GHz max for cripes sake.

Now at 62%!

Each time when Windows is first started, it has a process to load up additional data into RAM as cache (and does consume additional power…and not really idling). This does take short while to settle down (10-15 minutes):

Yeah…it’s definitely sub-par out of the box.

Yeah it’s odd isnt it!

Yes I leave the machine a few mins after a boot to settle down before doing any tests.

Now at 60%…

When I need longer runtime, I tend to set my PL1 and PL2 to 7W. It’s fast enough for video / media consumption and emailing. Maybe you can tweak those values to your needs.

i.e. Energy consumption is not clockspeed driven…so slower clockspeed doesn’t necessarily mean low energy consumption.

Yeah don’t think I should have to go that far though. I have switched off Turbo and reduced the max standard clock by 600MHz already.

Might just have a crappy battery. Maybe raise a support ticket?

Doesn’t hurt. I’d be interested to see what they find / say.

I’ll do some more testing tomorrow. I’ll do a fresh boot. Let it settle then open Youtube and HWMonitor and let a 1080p video run and time it for say 30 mins and see how much we have left just doing that. My battery is set to only max charge to 80% so am aware I’m leaving some battery time on the table. Battery wear is at 1%.

Then I’ll report back.

Let me know which youtube video you’ll be testing with, and then I can do the same on my end. And we can compare results.

Will do! Will do a full report. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sounds pretty low key, though of course if you have a hundred tabs open it may make a dif is some are ‘live’ in the background.

1% a minute = 1hr 40 min. My average is around 5hr for 100% charge but that is mostly Firefox alone with occasions on Open office etc. VNC . . .

Maybe you can try a more simple use, especially with firefox as @Second_Coming indicates and see if you get an improvement.

Could always be the battery.

Have you checked the use via powercfg /batteryreport etc. ?

I’m not a 300 tabs open person, I don’t get that usage behaviour. 4 to 5 tabs tops.

Battery reports are all fine, it’s all basic stuff here, as I’m a PC support guy. Checked the power config in Control panel etc. etc. Remember…it’s now really under-clocked. No more 4GHz boost on this laptop. 50% screen brightness etc. etc. I run a tight ship, I have all the auto starts switched off for stuff I don’t need. I switch off services I don’t use etc. etc.

Nothing appears out of the ordinary just the battery drops 1% every 60-90 seconds. I’m going to do the YouTube for 30 mins test in a bit. Once it reaches the locked 80% on charge.