High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

I just realised something about the fingerprint reader when the laptop is in sleep / suspend with Windows.

The fingerprint reader / scanner seems to be powered on when the laptop is in sleep…because if I just place my finger on the scanner, without ‘pressing down’ on the power button, it will wake the system and authenticate to Windows.

Is there a possible option that I can flip / toggle such that the fingerprint reader doesn’t recieve power when the laptop is in sleep / suspend mode?

i.e. I only want the power button to act as a power button, and an LED indicator during sleep.

1 Like

I am using 12gen, August batch, i5, Windows 11.
I already set the battery charge limit to 80%.
I just received my laptop. Yesterday, I put it to hibernate at 5 PM.
This morning, I start the laptop at 10 AM (after 17 hours), and the battery dropped from 80% to 60%.
Is it normal?

Well it may be normal in the sense that given all the finer details it could be expected, but not desirable or common.

You can get Windows to report on what is using the power and maybe find a solution.

This is an old topic base on a 11th gen setup started a year ago.

It’s a lot read, have you read it all yet you may find some guides as to what the issue was for others and apply that to your problem?

I tried another day, the same, doing hibernation, waiting 17 hours.
This time, only drop from 81%(even though set limit to 80%, after charge, it shows 81%) to 80%.

Really mysterious!!

Thanks, I will monitor it. If it starts to drop a lot again, I will spend some time reading this topic. Otherwise, I will skip this topic and focus on more meaningful thing to do, rather than fixing a laptop …
Hope framework laptop could become more and more robust, we can really enjoy it rather than enjoy fixing it, although fixing it is fun too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Data points:

• Sept 9, 2022: I tried to just close the lid, stay overnight, and open it after 12 hours.
    Firstly, the laptop goes to sleep then goes to hibernate.
    The battery dropped from 81% to 75%.
  • Sept 10, 2022: In the same setting, hibernate, after 12 hours, from 81% drop to 79%.
  • Sept 11, 2022: In the same setting, hibernate, after 14 hours, from 81% drop to 78%

Yes > I set to 78 and get 79 :slight_smile:

Using device manager, you can right click on the fingerprint entry, and then under power management(?) make sure to say that Windows can power off the device, and that it is not permitted to wake the system from sleep. That should allow Windows to turn it off when in standby.

Just test it out, and see if it fixes the problem.

That option is already checked by default.

1 Like

I’ve been underclocking this laptop now to 2.2GHz to see if it makes a difference to battery drain at all in general use (just using Word).

To be honest it still burns through battery at like 1% a minute. Never had such a thirsty laptop.

At that rate, it’s an indication that you have some tasks / processes running in the background.

Well yes, very hard not to in Windows. Always at least 60+ things running in the background. I don’t think Google Drive/Firefox and Word at the same time is over the top however.

Not doing 4k transcoding with some Lightroom batch processing in the background. :grinning:

Is your system even able to go into idle?

Because it sounds like you’re going through some 25W+ power consumption.

When it comes to Firefox…some sites are really poorly designed (and uses a lot of resource in the background). Maybe something to look into. e.g. Auto Tab Discard – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

I have been around PCs since the early 90’s so I used to running a tight ship. :grinning:

Just did a timed 5 minute usage. 69% dropped to 66%. Max wattage hit was 10.5W, usual was 3.5W. Running Firefox (4 tabs, only extensions are uBlock/Disconnect and NoScript) and Word. Screen at 50% brightness. 33% Ram usage. no GPU to speak off. Just not touching it using 5-10% CPU. Nothing unusual in Task manager either. Just usual backgrounds.

Apps - 3
Background - 55
Windows Services - 83 (Windows 11)

In the time I typed that…65%.

CPU average wattage should reach down to 0.5w, with overall system wattage reaching down to under 2w.

Anyway, if the ‘usual’ was 3.5W…(I read that as average) over 5 minutes, then it doesn’t explain the 69%–>66% drop in 5 minutes.

Something isn’t adding up…there’s some unknowns.

I was using the machine.

Okay powered up and no apps open (other than HWMonitor) just sat there for a few mins, lowest wattage recorded is 2.3W.

It’s under-clocked and thirsty!

The battery just nose dives in this machine. It has since I had it. I’m no power user…its running at 2,2GHz max for cripes sake.

Now at 62%!

Each time when Windows is first started, it has a process to load up additional data into RAM as cache (and does consume additional power…and not really idling). This does take short while to settle down (10-15 minutes):

Yeah…it’s definitely sub-par out of the box.

Yeah it’s odd isnt it!

Yes I leave the machine a few mins after a boot to settle down before doing any tests.

Now at 60%…

When I need longer runtime, I tend to set my PL1 and PL2 to 7W. It’s fast enough for video / media consumption and emailing. Maybe you can tweak those values to your needs.

i.e. Energy consumption is not clockspeed driven…so slower clockspeed doesn’t necessarily mean low energy consumption.

Yeah don’t think I should have to go that far though. I have switched off Turbo and reduced the max standard clock by 600MHz already.

Might just have a crappy battery. Maybe raise a support ticket?

Doesn’t hurt. I’d be interested to see what they find / say.