Hinge sturdiness / stiffness

My one hardware complaint for the laptop is that the hinge is too weak. It wobbles easily, and if it’s too obtuse an angle, it will even tend to fold all the way open (to 180 degrees)

I’m presuming there’s no DIY solution to tighten the springs but throwing it out there just-in-case

4 Likes

Hi Anil, could you share what angle you’re seeing it drop on it’s own at? In general, the hinge should hold position out to pretty close to 180 degrees.

After a bit of experimenting, this most commonly happens to me when the display is maybe at 115 degrees, and then trying to stand up while holding the laptop. If the laptop pitches forward, then gravity does the rest.

I’ve also had this happen while re-adjusting my position on the couch but perhaps not when on a flat surface.

1 Like

@RandomUser: lol oops. s/monitor/laptop

Ok, got it, that makes sense. The extra force from the acceleration of picking it up or adjusting position could definitely overcome the hinge adjustment force. We tuned it to balance between keeping one-hand-open working and keeping the hinge stable while in use, all across 20,000 hinge cycles.

3 Likes

I think the hinge on my brand new laptop is pretty ideally tuned. It stays open in any position at any angle.

However it’s true that if I shake the body the hinge does shift. So it’s just barely holding. I’m a bit concerned that as it ages it will loosen up. The hinge being too loose was one of the most annoying things about the Pixel so this is worrisome.

If it does loosen is it possible to tighten it?

1 Like

I have the same question as well. My laptop’s hinge is not tight enough. When I use it on my lap, the screen will slowly fold all the way to open as I type.

1 Like

I’ve also noticed this issue recently. Placing the laptop somewhere will often incur enough force to move it down slightly. At around 135 degrees, readjusting the position of the laptop will cause it to fall quite a lot. Definitely needs more tightness.

2 Likes

I’ve also been facing this issue. Are just a few of us experiencing this, or is everyone? Based off of the review videos I’ve seen it doesn’t look like they have a hinge issue (e.g. LTP review video). It is a bummer…

1 Like

Generally speaking I have no real issues with the hinge on the Framework laptop. However, I did go ahead and test a laptop scenario and found that, when starting at around 120 degrees tilt on my lap, the display will increasingly tilt backwards if I’m really hammering on the keys. This takes at least a few minutes of “extreme” typing, but eventually it will tilt far enough back that gravity starts to exacerbate the issue.

1 Like

@RandomUser I want to know that too, has anyone reading this tried adjusting the hinge tension?

Today I was outside and the wind literally just blew my screen backwards. How do you adjust the hinge tension?

1 Like

Agreed, @Framework would you be willing to release a tighter aftermarket hinge on your marketplace.

I’ve had the screen fall down several times during normal use (i.e., picking up the computer from a sitting position and falling from wind outside)

3 Likes

@Nigel_Ferns Nirav has said they would consider doing exactly this:

7 Likes

@feesh
Thank you for sharing; that would be amazing if they offered an aftermarket.

1 Like

Replying to this topic because I think the laptop really needs this. I move my laptop around a lot and the screen always opens to 180 on its own

4 Likes

The hinge opens too easily. Pushing it away (open) takes less force than closing it. So, picking it up results in the lip flopping open almost all the way. Needs to be a tiny bit tighter when pushing it open.

1 Like

Hinge definitely moves too easily on my Framework - every time I move around the laptop opens to 180 degrees (flat), its quite annoying.

2 Likes

@Nigel_Ferns - Count me in as interested in a marketplace hinge upgrade.

1 Like

Keep that in mind while adjusting the tension nut on the hinges. Of course you can adjust them to fit your liking. Just make sure they take almost the same amount of force to move.