Holding power button down doesn't seem to force reboot?

On most laptops I’ve used, if you hold the power button down long enough it forces a hard reboot. My Framework laptop doesn’t seem to do that. Is this consistent with other users experience?

1 Like

Did you try holding the button for 20 seconds? Beta firmware shortens this to a more reasonable 8 seconds.

6 Likes

Mine does take some time to force reboot, it feels much longer than it should, and made me think nothing was happening the first time. But keep the power button pressed down long enough, and it will force reboot.

1 Like

Thanks. I hadn’t realized HOW LONG it needs to be held down. Feels like greater than 20 secs but it did eventually reboot. I’ll eventually do the bios upgrade once it’s out of beta.

1 Like

I TOTALLY agree that it feels longer than 20 seconds. And like you, once out of beta, I will upgrade my firmware. 8 seconds will be so much better.

I completely agree that 20 seconds seems a bit overkill - but I have only used this while setting up the computer the first time. This isn’t something that anyone should normally need to do - am I missing something?

1 Like

That’s right, but when I did have to shut down this way, the 20s delay almost convinced me the system was unresponsive at the firmware level. Looking forward to the update.

1 Like

Ah yes, it needs to be clearly mentioned somewhere that the user will see since it is a bit unusual. The first time I turned the laptop on it also took a long time, so I wondered if it was dead. It seems this is the case after using the battery disconnect option in the BIOS.

1 Like