How to make sure an external monitor support high refreshing rate with my FW 13?

Specs:

• Framework 13: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
  • Windows 11

I am looking for an external monitor with high refreshing rate (ideally no less than 120 Hz) to work with my FW 13. I have been looking through the past posts in the community and am still quite confused about whether my FW 13 support 120Hz (or up) external monitor, and if so, how to make it happen.

Here are a few things I am confused about:
Does the size of the monitor matter? (I am thinking about 22 or 24-inch)
Does the port and cable matter? (like HDMI or PD)
Does the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M Graphics actually support 120 Hz or up when using an external monitor and the original monitor at the same time?

Many thanks for y’all’s help! And I apologize if some of the questions are too basic - I can definitely keep searching and learning if the keywords become clearer!

The standard on the port and it’s supported resolutions / refresh rate will matter. Plugging in the monitor and running xrandr will show the supported resolutions and refresh rates for the monitor, as this is exposed to the computer via EDID.

Depending on what resolution you are looking at you should be able to do 120Hz over DP. A 4k monitor or smaller should be possible, but larger is iffy: External monitor support on the Framework Laptop

HDMI may be limited to 60Hz at 4k with a HDMI expansion card and I’m unsure if 120Hz is supported below that. A USB C dock may be capable of 120Hz. Take this with a grain of salt.

This post shows maximum display port output speed for a few monitor sizes from AMD for the 7840hs (essentially the same as the U):

In theory could do 4x 4k-120Hz monitors simultaneously (including the internal panel) over DP.

1 Like

Thanks! Will try different things out and post the results here :slight_smile: