How to realize fedora&win11 dual system?

Recently, I found that gnome and wayland are very unsmooth, but I am not willing to give up linux, because in my opinion, it is more suitable for setting up a development environment and learning programming than Windows, and Windows is more suitable for entertainment.
In addition to the primary SSD, my framework latop is also equipped with a 1T type-c expansion card, and Fedora36 is installed on the primary SSD. Now I want to install Win11 on the type-c expansion card to realize the dual system of Fedora+Win11.
Now there are two questions that confuse me and don’t know how to start:

1. Can the read and write speed of the type-c storage device meet win11?
  2. Can it appear in the boot list like the primary ssd? I don’t see it in the bios
    I’m not sure this is a good solution, please tell me how to implement the above dual system? thanks.

This is actually the setup I’ve been using (started with Fedora 35 + Windows 10 and have since updated each to Fedora 36 + Windows 11) and it works well. I haven’t tried installing Win 11 directly onto the expansion card (I did Windows 10 and then a few months later upgraded it to Windows 11), but I’m assuming the process should be pretty similar.

The main issue is that you need to somewhat “manually” install windows onto the expansion card via the command prompt as the graphical installer doesn’t want to do it. I based my installation off of this guide at the time and had a pretty good time.

If you follow the guide as is, I’m pretty sure you’ll end up with Windows 10/11 Home Edition. If you want Pro or some other edition, this worked for me. The setup isn’t always 100% rock stable (fairly rare blue screens, but they are more frequent than if windows was installed internally in my experience), but it is certainly very usable. The biggest issue is usually if you have heavy, sustained read/write loads that cause the expansion card to throttle. Sometimes, the performance drops and the system gets a bit laggy in those scenarios, but again, it’s very usable imo.

1 Like

The main areas to watch out for in that guide are anywhere they’re creating partitions. You want to make sure they’re sized in a way that you’ll be happy with.

Reading through the thread a bit more, it might be worth trying this solution as a more modern approach. You could always fall back to the more involved version if it doesn’t work out – it certainly looks simpler :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s very detailed, thank you very much for your guidance. Your suggestion helped me a lot, thanks.

1 Like