How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

Also note that you need to drain the battery all the way to 0% first, then full charge, to get an accurate reading. That’s how ThinkPads have been doing battery calibration / reset for years. (Battery’s internal electronics will prevent over-discharge, so don’t worry about it getting down to 0%)

3 Likes

Shoot, I guess I’ll have to run it down to 0 and then charge it again, then :stuck_out_tongue:

I was part of batch 3, started using the Framework in mid-October, pretty much every day since. In total, roughly 5 months. 95% capacity for me, as of last Tuesday when I fully charged it.

Battery is typically used ~ 5-15 hours each week; otherwise it’s plugged in. I updated to 3.07 sometime in January/February, and have kept the battery limited to 60% most of the time, with some exceptions - like last Tuesday.

I see a 6.802% of wear with about 2 month of usage.

1 Like

Wow, I’m surprised by the amount of wear some of you have …

I still have 100% max capacity set because I use it throughout the day without the plug, and have been using my Framework since Batch 4 pretty much non-stop, and only charge it at night while I’m home. At work it is never plugged in, and generally is at 30%-40% when I get home. Using it 5-7 hours per day since October (6 months now), I have only 3.7% wear.

2 Likes

When was the last time the system went through a full discharge AND charge cycle?

1 Like

After doing that, my tlp-stat -b is showing 97.4% capacity (or 2.6% wear). This is over about 5 months. Intuitively, this seems about par for the course (and certainly better than my previous laptops — with some of them, I had essentially killed the battery within a year because I wasn’t very conscious about unplugging from the charger, setting battery charge limits, etc.).

[edit] Never mind, I guess now it’s showing 96.5% capacity :man_shrugging: Either way, well within what I consider acceptable.

2 Likes

From 4.8 to 5.1 in a week. Maybe I’ll not hiberante all the time, though I thought that did actually power down, but maybe it keeps the ‘volatile’ RAM powered ???

I do hibernate all the time, actually. I rarely shutdown or reboot my laptop, except for when required by updates. I also have a cap of 80% for charging, and I rarely let the charge get below 30-40% (basically, I reduce the number of full cycles the battery goes through).

Aha. I was wondering how to get this in Linux. Thanks @Chiraag_Nataraj, tlp-stat -b is reporting 98.5% capacity. This is a batch 4 delivered in October, so 6 months old.

Lately I shut it down, but for the first few months I kept it on the charger. I also set a charge limit of 80% when the feature was enabled (4 months ago?).

Seems pretty good overall?

6 Likes

The range doesn’t reduce the number of cycles, 50% needs to be done twice to make a cycle as a cycle is 100% to zero.

I’m using Win11 and much the same charging routine as you ???

Have been intending to us Ubuntu, so better get on the case and see what Linux has to say :slight_smile:

I don’t know mate :man_shrugging: All I know is that I’ve gotten decent battery wear on this thing, far better than in the past (with my other laptops), and part of that is me being a lot more conscious of how I (ab)use the battery and not letting it drain fully down.

1 Like

Five nights a week. I always plug it in at home, and my cap is still 100%.

Edit: OH nvm, I see what you mean, I haven’t let the battery go below 10-15% or so. Not sure how much that changes the max capacity reading though. Going down to 30% most days, maybe once it was at 5%? I don’t care to let it run that low though.

Edit 2: I also never reboot, and only hibernate. Not sure how that affects the reading by HWinfo either.

1 Like

Keeping the battery in a mid-state of charge definitely does improve battery wear characteristics. See the picture below and compare the red line (100% to 40% SOC) to the green one (85% to 25% SOC). Both are 60% DOD, but the one that keeps the SOC in the middle has slower degradation (with lower DODs having lower wear rates). That’s why the lower battery limit is good for slowing wear (though evidently it didn’t help me).
(image source)

Also thanks everyone for posting. It does appear that my battery degradation is abnormally high based on your inputs. I’m working with support to try to find out what’s going on.

2 Likes

@OxyMagnesium I’ve also had my laptop for about the same time (Batch 1). Both upower -d on Linux and HWMonitor and powercfg /batteryreport on Windows shows my battery at 15% wear.

Odd (or perhaps confirming) that we have the same exact wear percentage, and I also think this is pretty high degradation for such a short period of time.

Curious to know your findings with support and let me know if I can help, run any tests, etc. I’d also like to get to the bottom of this.

Edit: I’ve kept my laptop plugged in most of the time. It has been on basically 24/7 apart from putting it to sleep/hibernate randomly, and I’ve had the battery charge limited to 60% since around whenever the relevant BIOS released. So there shouldn’t be a high number of battery cycles.

2 Likes

@Michael_Wu Very interesting. I agree that it’s quite strange that we both have the same battery wear considering that our usage has been very different. I’ve run mine unplugged most of the time, and I do fully shut it down every night so it can’t be either of those things. I will definitely let you know what support says regarding this.

1 Like

@OxyMagnesium Huh, very interesting indeed. Our basically opposite usage leads me to believe that the amount the battery cells degrade just sitting over time is significantly higher than the impact of “normal” usage.

Here’s the serial number or whatever by the QR code on the battery, maybe needed to pinpoint a possible bad batch:

FRANBBATA
1121105BW

I could be wrong and this is just a theory at this point. Looking forward to it, thanks!

Although this is correct in some cases it is not quite right.

For example a battery kept at 50% all the time by being plugged in, theoretically would not go through any cycles. Howveever it will still degrade in a few years.

For example it is not wise to buy a Li-ion battery that is more than a year old.

Most claims are very short term tests and the results can be misleading, but I agree that your experience is neither pleasant or expected.

OK Another update:

Decided to try a complete rundown and charge to 100%

The result now shows the battery as depleted 6.1% so that’s an increase of 1% for a day ???

I’ve had a little concern with the battery wear level accuracy. I use HWiNFO64 to measure my laptop and the wear level varies every time I use it. Today it’s at 0.0%, the other day it was at 1.7%, on another day it was slightly higher. I have the charge cap set to 80% and don’t really run on battery very often.

Seems wonky.

1 Like