How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

5 more days and mine has gone from 6.1 to 7.6

Averaging 0.3 per day ( 9% a month so 20% in two months ) ???

UPDATE:

Now 6 days later it has gone down from 7.6 to 7.4 ???

The spec says a loss of 20% in 1000 cycles I don’t use a cycle in 2 or three days, so 2 or 3 thousand is 6 to 9 years away, but not according to the stats, it will deplete 20% in 2 or three months

UPDATE:
I have now been using the laptop mostly plugged in and the wear has now reduced from 7.4% to 6.6 so that’s a huge ‘decrease’

The mind boggles ???

I’ll keep at this and see what transpires.

Think it was in another thread that someone mentioned the battery is rarely in-stock in the marketplace, if ever. I wonder if this is partially due to Framework might be aware of the [questionable] battery quality issue (unconfirmed), and is trying to source from a different battery manufacture…without doing a recall.

Mind you, the 1000 cycles bar is typically under some degree of ideal conditions. Various temperature, discharge / drain rate, usage pattern will offset that.

I have seen better batteries / cells…ThinkPads, e.g. Sanyo & Sony (made in China). (i.e. it’s not a regional thing, but a battery manufacturer and possibly cell binning / matching matter?)

Same gripes on the Fairphone forum, so likely a global supply issue as has been going on since the COVID lockdowns, no doubt there are other ascpects too.

1 Like

Batch 3 (Since Sept 29 2021) here and mine is showing 86.2% capacity (13.8% wear). I’ve been using it every single day on battery since I have college and work and the battery usually lasts me about 4-5 hours from full charge. I never capped it between 20% and 80%. 13.8% does seem a bit high on wear imo, not sure if it’s me or if it’s the battery.

Relative to some others it’s fine, much better than mine which is 7.6% in about a month.

However I don’t trust the readings and I’ve never a had a battery than lasts long so the loss of 20% over 1000 cycles seems like a fantasy.

How do they do these tests ???

A battery is a battery, subject to different applications and environmental conditions…but here’s a test:
Tesla battery researcher shows new test results pointing to batteries lasting over 2 million miles - Electrek

Battery Power Online | Accelerated Life Testing of Lithium-ion Batteries

I would like to see the following features in the BIOS:

1. Start charging threshold. (e.g. So that the battery doesn’t going into charging mode when it’s at “Stop charging threshold - 1%”)
  2. Ability to enable / disable fast charging, or have different charging speed.
2 Likes

I was being sarcastic I didn’t expect anyone to know and as for Tesla and a million miles more like a million lies m! Smile you are being recored and we may pay you for a pretty face.

Strangely the wear on my battery is reversing. I did wonder what would happen if I used it plugged in as I didn’t trust the measuring app.

So now it is recording only 6.6% see

2 Likes

@amoun Yeah the wear reporting is definitely a bit suspect; I’ve also seen it fluctuate by as much as 2-3% over the course of a few days. I think its calculations depend on a lot on the depth and speed of discharge, so it makes sense that it isn’t super consistent. So far it hasn’t varied a lot more than that though, so it’s probably at least in the ballpark.

@Michael_Wu You could try removing your charge limit and continue using the laptop normally for a few days, maybe even let it discharge very low. I did this at the suggestion of support and it does seem to have some effect on the reported wear, and though it didn’t change much for me perhaps it will do more for you since your limit is lower.

1 Like

@OxyMagnesium thanks for getting back to me!

So yeah AFAIK/IME if there’s a charge threshold, over time, the battery wear percentage will drift away and won’t be as accurate as after a full 0 to 100 charge cycle reading.

I think (unsure) I did at least one full charge cycle between my last post and now.
Currenty it’s showing 87.43%, more than the prior 85%.

If accurate, I think 87% battery wear in 8-ish months (while being plugged in almost 24/7) isn’t too great.

I’ll perform a few full 0-100 discharge/charge cycles and report back, hopefully it goes up even more!

Edit: typo

2 Likes

Um, after 17 days, wear increased to 9.350% now…

Edit: I was using 80% charge max, for about a week, yet still :thinking:

Yeap! that’s my setting 78% and running most of the time not plugged with the same wear in one month.

However: Above I note I have decreased from 7.6% to 6.6% by using plugged for the last week or so, so there’s hope it is just a poor monitoring system than a battery issue.

UPDATE: 9 hours later and it continues to get better. It’s now at 6.4%
I have justt up the top charge from 78% to 90% to what happens

Over 2.5 months from new and running Ubuntu 21.10 and now 22.04 and only charging to 80% the battery is showing 2.5% wear. Used 80% of time plugged in and over night the laptop is shutdown and unplugged, Running on battery I am getting around 6hr use on “Power Saver”
Monitoring using Linux “Power Statistics”

1 Like

2 days later and it has gonr upi from 6.6 to 7.6 as I run the charge down from 90% to 63%.

I intend to charge to a max of 69% and use whilst plugged in for a week to see what happnes

Shouldn’t have any impact at all since laptop is running off AC power, but battery wear readouts are weird.

The reading after being plugged in are different

• Battery at 69% Wear at 7.6%
  • Switched off and unplugged.
    Next morning 9 hours later
  • Plug and note red flashing light
  • Switch on
  • Wait 5 minutes light stops flashing
  • Check Battery 70% Wear at 6.7%

???

Just chiming back here after setting my battery charge limit to 100% (from its usual 60%) and using the laptop off battery a bit more. I maybe let it discharge all the way once, and at least from 100 to ~3% another time yesterday.

So it used to be at 85%; 9 days ago 87.43%; and after doing the above (really just letting it charge to 100% and discharge all the way to 0%), it’s now reported at 89.4177%.

So I’ve managed to “gain back” 4-5%. If that’s accurate, then ~10% of battery wear in 8 months actually seems okay. And I was using the laptop before the battery charge threshold/limit was available in the BIOS. Even though my laptop has been plugged in most of the time; but also it’s been on 24/7 most of the time too.

Thanks @OxyMagnesium again, I’m a bit less concerned now, and the battery replacements are direct from Framework and seem fairly priced! Hopefully we get a way to reuse old batteries – I’ve been dreaming about some 3D-printable enclosure that we can put old batteries in to make our own battery packs to charge the laptop and/or other devices.

4 Likes

I can confirm that I am seeing the same behavior as @Michael_Wu. For me, it took a lot longer for the wear to reduce to that level, but the wear percentage changes are very similar. So it seems that this is indeed a wear calculation issue with the battery rather than abnormal physical degradation, which is definitely good. It’s still annoying because a higher (even miscalculated) wear value will cause the battery to charge to a lower level overall, but it’s honestly not a super big deal for me. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out with this.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that is true.

• The ‘wear’ level is based upon time used, which roughly relates to the amperage used. This is calculated and is open to quite a variance.
  • The charging is down to the battery voltage which only stops at a particular voltage. So even a ‘worn’ battery will charge to the same voltage but will get there quickly if it really has degarded.

I’m pretty sure the charging algorithm only checks the voltage to decide what to supply. The real battery state ‘wear’ feeds back info on what the voltage is to reduce is slowly as the battery charges and the wear value has nothing to do with the charging voltage.

OOTB I was at 98.8% today using 75% limit (I did a full discharge/cycle before checking) I’m down to 95.3% after ~3 months. I would expect the health to stabilise however and not see 20% drop by years end.

It would be nice to be able to see cycle counts and temperature, perhaps this can be made available?