[RESOLVED] If you're having graphical issues on Wayland

I’ve been struggling with graphical freezes, glitched lines, and other weirdness running GNOME on Wayland for quite some time now, and I couldn’t for the life of me find anything out there that led anywhere. Well, through some incredible luck, I finally stumbled upon this last night: Haswell GPU Hang with kernel 5.10 (#3039) · Issues · drm / intel · GitLab

It seems running this has fixed the weirdness:

echo off | sudo tee /sys/module/i915/parameters/mitigations

So if you’ve experienced similar issues, hopefully this helps!

3 Likes

You can make this permanent by doing

boot.extraModprobeConfig = ''
  options i915 mitigations=off
''

For the record, “mitigations” refers to mitigations for this attack, so proceed with caution: More Details On Intel's CVE-2019-14615 Graphics Vulnerability, a.k.a. iGPU Leak - Phoronix

Well, hrm. The problem came back even with that setting off. It seems to be substantially worse after coming out of suspend, and that seems to persist across warm boots too.

Could you try “i915.enable_psr=0”?

4 Likes

Sure, just updated and I’ll report back after a day or two of use to see if that does it.

Side note, I seem to remember this being a trick on 11th gen that eventually got fixed, I’m guessing it’s a similar deal with 12th gen?

Potentially, I think I saw something about a load of intel GPU fixes coming in kernel 6.1

Yes, this is the correct recommendation.

1 Like

Yeah, after a week I’ve had no more glitches or freezes.

2 Likes

Delighted to hear it. I’ve been happy as well with the current state of things. [TRACKING] Fedora Freezes and Flickering on newer Kernels - #84 by Matt_Hartley

Yes, this is the correct recommendation.

Could you give en explanation of where to set “i915.enable_psr=0”? I am not proficient with Linux, however, have the same issue of Fedora 37 freezing from time to time on my Framework 12th gen. By the way, I had it also with PopOS when I still had it installed a few months ago.
I found a workaround of switching away from Wayland to Xorg with the gear on the login screen, however, this disables some touchpad gestures.

I have found out that the issue is now mentioned in Step 5 of the Fedora installation guide. This was not there when I installed Fedora a few months ago but nice to see it is updated.

No problem, basically Panel Self Refresh is a power saving feature (speaking at a high level). It’s been known to help with screen flickering and in some cases, freezing and other oddities.

Yep, it’s a recent addition. I wanted to see more feedback from users trying it out as my own experience alone wasn’t enough. Now that we have proper testing done, it’s been added.

2 Likes