Intel CPU Options on Framework Laptop 16?

Very new here, but would like to hear if you have something new on the Intel in Framework 16 topic and if possible on the secondary market for AMD boards.

I’m thinking of getting the 16th with AMD first and later on replacing it (“when time time comes”), which in this case seems not to be earlier than Q2/Q3 2024.
I need to get my machine before end of 2023 and seems almost certain that no Intel options will be available until then.

In that case (need it this year) you’ve got to have your order placed in the first two days after opening the pre-orders (batch 4 at the latest). If you’ve been undecided and haven’t ordered yet, you’ll definitely have to wait until next year, intel or not. If there is enough interest, Intel may come at later date, as has been the case the other way around with the fwl 13. Wait and see.

Just so you’re aware, if you order AMD now, you won’t get it until the beginning of 2024.

1 Like

Thanks! - I’ll then try chip in for the next batch!
Last info for 13 vs 16 - any clues on how long the battery lasts in 13 vs 16 (provided that one has moderate load?
I know it’s vague, but lets say some 15-20 tabs in chrome and some IDE coding and running code 4-5 times an hour for 30-60sec. Can this be like 7-8h + in both 13 and 16 ?

I need like real world feel - not looking for some dedicated tests.
Tried to find some real-world impressions but nothing first hand pops out.

For the most part, you’re probably not going to get to 7-8h on 13 with that workload. We won’t know about 16" until they’re shipping.

The main point for having Intel CPU & Chipset is 1+1:

• Thunderbolt 4 connectivity. This allows for docks & with multiple monitors & external GPUs
  • Having Nvidia GPUs, which I guess can also work with AMD mobos also.

I’m gonna wait until Intel comes around for buying a Framework 16, cause point 1 is too important for me, since I’ve already invested in a CalDigit TB3 and I love the easiness of connectivity.

1 Like

The amd version allready has full featured USB4 which covers that (apart from some small edge cases like docks that use 2 separate dp channels instead of mst but they are pretty rare and usually targetet at apple stuff cause they don’t support mst for some reason)

Intel platform also won’t give you nvidia, the proeblem with getting nvidia is well nvidia. If an nvidia gpu module would show up it would certanly also work in the amd version.

My hope there is that some 3rd party gpu manufacturer that already has a relationship with nvidia might make one at some point. Maybe one of the smaller ones that doesn’t also make laptops themselves like inno3d or something. Or maybe the Chinese re-manufactured option. I don’t really see framework getting access to gpus from nvidia directly, they are just way too small for that.

Yeah the usb4 probably got you covered there.

5 Likes

Well, I’m not confident that plain USB 4 will support the full spectrum of TB3/TB4 devices out there, without any issues, especially eGPUs.

Maybe an official review of the current state of supported devices would clear things out…

I remember it took a couple of years for ThunderBolt certification for the 13’’ model. It baffles me as to why all this work is now discarded, instead of having an Intel mobo option for 16’’ with full certified TB3/4 support.

egpus allready work pretty well with the usb4 on the last gen amd chips.

docks may have some issues because of the single dp link but that highly depends on the dock.

It still mostly worked though but the cert certainly is nice. Would be nice if someone with a bit less of a conflict of interest would do something similar for usb4.

2 Likes

I highly doubt any work was “discarded”. Each new mainboard was designed alongside engineers at Intel, and had to be re-certified each generation. It is likely that unless they were to do a 16" laptop with the same CPU as the 13th gen 13" mainboard, that they would have to create a new design and get it certified on it’s own.

1 Like

Even then thanks to the new size and the presence of 8 more pcie lanes on the board it would allmost certanly require a new cert, I doubt even apple could get away with that.

2 Likes

Yeah, but now the legwork is done and experience is gained, it would take a lot less time/cost…
In any case, many people have invested in expensive TB3/4 docks, and they are now excluded as potential Frame.work customers (like me).

Hello,
When will the 16 in. Laptop be released with an iintel processor?

PS Hopefully I am in the right forum for this question

We don’t know :frowning:

1 Like

i think 2025 but idk anything

Given what they’ve launched this year already, I bet they’ll be shipping Intel 16’s by the end of 2024. They really seem to be working hard, especially for such a small company!

Can we have some official word on when we can expect Frame.work 16" with Intel & full ThunderBolt 3/4 support?

Just a reminder that this is just a community forum and although FW staff may pop in occasionally, official announcements are usually made through either their official social media or blog posts

3 Likes

i wouldnt count on more then 4 ThunderBolt 4 ports

2 Likes

Even 2 ThunderBolt 4 ports would be enough! One for the Dock and one for eGPU. The main requirement is Intel CPU & TB4 supporting chipset, just like the 13" models.