Introducing the new Framework Laptop 13 with Intel Core Ultra Series 1 processors

Looks very nice!

Is the coloured expansion card lighter in weight?

Now you just need the Iron Man Mk 5 briefcase to go with it.

1 Like

So quick first impressions on the Framework 13 Core Ultra (125H), keep in mind this is my first Framework device:

• Assembling the DIY edition was fairly straightforward, although as some people here have already mentioned the display cable routing around the bezel could be explained better - I still don’t know what the adhesive sticker on the cable is supposed to stick to and nowhere did I see a mention of it, so I just left it as-is for now
  • The 2.8k panel is great. I actually like the size of the UI with 200% scaling, so I get where they are coming from. Having an effective real estate of 1440x960 on a 13.5" inch screen seems about right. UI size is very similar to how a 14" MacBook Pro looks by default
    • Even the response time is fine to be honest. It’s not on the level of a decent gaming display and obviously nowhere near an OLED, but it’s fine and at least for me works decent enough for casual gaming
  • Under Fedora, everything just works out of the box. I might switch to Tumbleweed later, but wanted to go with a distro that’s officially supported first
  • A very unpleasant and almost binary fan curve was quickly fixed by fw-fanctrl. The device can still get loud, but it fixes annoying fan speed up and speed down on short performance bursts
    • I do hope they come up with a more advanced cooling solution (vapor chamber etc.) in future mainboards though
  • Performance for every day tasks is very snappy and even the iGPU seems to be pretty decent
  • The speakers are nowhere near as bad as the internet made be believe. They are no MacBook Pro speakers, but they are more than good enough for spoken content
  • I generally like the keyboard, but it’s very easy to rub some of the half-height keys (arrow up, esc and del is where I noticed it the most) against the keyboard frame when you push them down a bit sideways. Not a big deal but still a minor annoyance
  • The trackpad actually works quite well. Not a MacBook trackpad, but still better than my ThinkPad T490’s trackpad
  • I like the expansion card system, but the fit is quite snug when trying to get them out
  • Separate hardware switches for microphone and webcam are awesome
  • The memory kit I purchased for my Framework (I did go for a 64 GB kit after all, Kingston FURY Impact 5600 MHz CL40, KF556S40IBK2-64) works out of the box
  • My (previously used) Samsung 980 Pro works as well
3 Likes

I got in my 125H motherboard yesterday and installed 96gb of ram (two crucial 48gb dimms), everything works as expected, so you can max it out if you want.

2 Likes

You will find other similar mentions but they do loosen up, if you are in the habit of switching them

3 Likes

I can’t really compare apples to apples as I don’t have an aluminum USB-C card, but the plastic USB-C card is 6 grams and the aluminum USB-A card is 8 grams on my scale.

Thanks. I weighted mine (aluminium USB-C) with a cheapo Amazon scale (calibrated* to 50g, if you can call that remotely calibrated). It came to 7.00g. So yours appear to have some weight savings!

(The USB-A card is at 7.34g on my end.)

My scale puts both (aluminum) usb-A and usb-C at 7g (cheap kitchen scale).