BIOS 3.09 to replace Incomplete BIOS 3.08

So Insyde placed Framework in the backseat?

Dell got their updates…months ago.
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000195969/dsa-2022-032

So has Lenovo for majority of the units on the list:

…To be fair…HP is stuck in pending:

Insyde, WTH?

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

It seems so based on Nirav’s earlier comment?

Well, since BIOS updates need to be tailored to every hardware configuration it’s no surprise that Dell (with probably the largest install base) was 1st out of the gate. No idea how big Insyde is and what their bandwidth is … I just want my candy!

No hard feelings on Framework, that’s for sure, just wish they could notice this conversation and at least tell us what’s going on. Information is kind of like mirrors in an elevator lobby – doesn’t make the wait any shorter but gives you something to distract yourself with while you wait.

2 Likes

Potentially dumb question but what does CVE stand for?

1 Like

Don’t forget, as far as I am aware, Framework still hasn’t had Thunderbolt certification from Intel. Patience is a virtue, they say!

Not even sure if it’ll ever come to the 11th gen…there’s no additional message from Framework on this since last year. Is TB4 for the 11th gen mainboard still being pursued? We don’t know. (Not being the dark cloud. Just saying we don’t even know the progress, the end goal, the dates…nada)

Other brands already have their 12th gen systems certified with TB4…being sold. (Forming a comparison)

I was going to go that direction, still hoping for 3.08… I did download the beta for 3.08, perhaps use that as it appears to be OK except for the Insyde issue.

Tks

Our release process for BIOS updates that involve upstream security fixes is:

1. The upstream vendor has to complete their fix and validate that it is correctly fixed.
  2. The engineering team at our manufacturing partner and our internal engineering team integrate the upstream fix with our Framework Laptop-specific BIOS.
  3. Our manufacturing partner and internal team validate the BIOS.
  4. We release to the Community for a public beta test.
  5. We release the final version publicly.

Unfortunately in this case, step 1 has taken much longer than we’d like.

18 Likes

Does the ‘upstream vendor’ keep in touch and give you progress reports or any reasoning why there is such a delay?

3 Likes

Thinking along the same line: Framework being a customer to the upstream vendor, Framework should have leverage on the SLA.

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying the process! This is what I wanted to see. I actually contacted the ‘upstream vendor’ by emailing their US office email address, and tried to understand why they take longer for their patch to the Framework Laptop. They explained me their general workflow to sell their BIOS firmware and to fix security issues, but unfortunately they didn’t answer me for Framework’s specific case so far.

4 Likes

@Insyde (if anyone from there is reading…): Chop chop.

1 Like

Sadly that @ is not a real user :frowning:

I introduced this thread to a person at the ‘upstream vendor’ 2 days ago. So, I assume they may read it.

4 Likes

Any chance we can get a rundown of what the update addresses? Specifically hoping for some movement on the drain during sleep (not off) issues. I’ve got a batch 1 unit that I’m really fond of, but now that the world is opening back up a bit and it’s not sitting plugged in all the time, this is the kind of deal breaker that’d lead me to sell. (Which sucks because FW is exactly the direction I’d like to see HW vendors move!)

@Matt_Simmons Did you try the kernel parameter nvme.noacpi=1? This improves your battery life with the sleep mode: s2idle remarkably. You can see Linux battery life tuning - #202 by junaruga for detail.

2 Likes

I’m on Fedora Linux but tempted to try the beta myself, mainly because I so frickin’ tired of having to reboot and go into bios to enable battery disconnect every time I want to shut it down.

Honestly, after being frustrated and waiting for months at this point for power related fixes, I bit the bullet and installed the unlisted 3.08 bios. At least for me, I’m no longer seeing huge power drain when hibernating or powering off the laptop.

Caveats being obviously it’s an unlisted BIOS, there’s no changelog or guarantee of anything actually being fixed, but anecdotally in limited testing it’s an improvement on the power drain.

2 Likes

I decided to give this a try, and this bios absolutely ate my battery up. It drains a LOT when I am literally just looking at outlook online. This is a report of this just happening.

Windows 10 I71165 32 GB Ram, 2 TB Sabrent Rocket.

1 Like