Keyboard Backlight - Idle Timeout?

Got my machine a few weeks ago and love it so far, just a few minor quirks that I know will be sorted out in due time.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that the keyboard backlight stays on any time the machine is awake, even if the display is off. Is there any way to configure an idle timeout? Or to make the keyboard backlight turn off when the display turns off?

6 Likes

+1
On some laptop brands and flavors of Linux, keyboard backlight brightness can be controlled by fiddling with the right parameters in /sys/class/leds/ but I don’t see anything useful in there on my Framework.

1 Like

That is a worthwhile thing to have, and something we’ll add to our firmware roadmap.

22 Likes

I agree this would be good to have as an option. This feature has my vote! In my case, the laptop doubles as a regular monitor in my home office, so the laptop is in an open position.

I really appreciate the backlit keyboard, but it does tend to produce light pollution when not wanted, and I really don’t want to have to manually turn it on/off every day.

I created a feature request here to custimize the keyboard backlight:

Is there any update to this? Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking of this problem as well as another niche feature - keyboard backlight fading. When you switch between brightness value presets, fade between them instead of simply changing it.

It’s been a while since I looked at the firmware code available (warning: I have no idea what I’m doing) and it doesn’t seem that hard to add a few lines of code so instead of doing brightness= value add a loop that will increment that value until it reaches the target value.

Problem is, my Framework 13 is the only PC I have and fiddling with the EC firmware might leave my laptop completely unusable until I flash a backup manually with some tool I don’t have (unless I can use an Arduino as a USB to Serial converter)

hello @nrp is there any guides from framework side for the backlight of the keyboard in linux/ubuntu? my PC even when it goes to ‘sleep/hivernate’ the screen turn off but the keyboard light leds no. so It stays on for example the hole night. is there any way to control this?
thanks in advance…