Large battery BIOS support timing?

Curious on the status of the BIOS update for the 61wh battery for the 11thgen. It’s getting lonely sitting on my shelf…

I’ll probably catch flak for being negative but Framework isn’t exactly known for their alacrity when it comes to BIOS updates, I imagine you’ll be waiting quite a while.

5 Likes

You won’t catch any flak from me. It is the single issue I have with Framework at this time. BIOS/UEFI updates need to be a bigger priority. I have owned my Framework 12th gen Intel since November with a single beta bios update. It fixed pretty much everything for me, but I am coming from the Thinkpad ecosystem where you get updates every three months for the first year and then at least two per year for the four, and then some more. My T430 was receiving updates until 2019 so 7 years of BIOS updates, they were timely, and reasonably frequent.

Hopefully with Framework now pursuing Business Customers i.e. Enterprise it will provide the impetus to put more resources into making this happen.

5 Likes

As a decision maker for an enterprise, that would be my hold back. My security and desktop teams would be all over me if we weren’t getting the support and updates in a timely (on a schedule) manner. They should have had the BIOS done way before releasing the battery IMO.

I think this will come with maturity as FW grows. I only hope they get the chance to do so. I’m on an 11Gen and thinking of upgrade but I’m not going to lie, it was a biatch in the beginning due to BIOS issues and I was using Windows 11. It’s hard to get BSOD with W11 but any BIOS version before 3.17 managed to pull it off… I’m almost scared to start that process over with an upgrade.

1 Like

Agreed. Personally I am on a 12th gen with the 3.06 beta and it has been flawless…honestly most of the issues with that one seem to be user error versus something going wrong with the update…i.e. not following the instructions exactly will cause problems. Regardless I want regular security updates, pretty simple ask.

As to upgrades and experiencing this all over again I am waiting until the 15th gen Intel, and I will wait until it is past the batch deliveries. Seems like that is the sweet spot for at least a beta bios update, and getting past any production glitches.

1 Like

Any updates at all? I’m sitting on the larger battery for a while now. Some sort of update would be nice…

1 Like

@Reese_Borel The main 11th gen bios thread had an update a few days ago.

While not confirmed it will include the battery fix, it is in response to requests about when the next update would be coming along, and if it would include the fix.

1 Like