[TRACKING] Linux freezing on multiple distros

I have the same issue occurring, and this is the first thread that actually looks like it identified the issue. Thank you 43c! I’ll test another hard drive. @Framework support would do well to check this out.

@T_RRR sure thing! I’ve actually contacted Framework support about the issue and pointed out that it might be something that a larger amount of customers are facing. Let’s see what they make of it.

Been having this random freezing issue since the dawn of days (of this frame.work). Also have an SN850 installed.

@43c how did you diagnose that problem?

@Framework anything from your end?

@Michael_Siebert
Open a terminal and monitor kernel logs while running a disk heavy load (using KDiskBench/stress or similar tools). After a while nvme related errors (previous post) start to appear and finally the system freezes. It sometimes takes 2-3 hours until the freeze, sometimes less.

You can monitor kernel logs with

sudo journalctl -k -p4 -f

-k : show only kernel logs
-p4 : severity (show errors and warnings only)
-f : follow log stream (print new logs)

If you just experienced a freeze on your last boot, you can display the logs for your last boot with

sudo journalctl -k -p4 -b-1

That is assuming your distro uses systemd.

I did the same tests with a Samsung 980 Pro and did not experience any freezes. The system runs solid since I replaced my WD. This seems to be a firmware issue that is affecting Linux in particular and is only present on some drives. Different parts used by WD depending on availability maybe? This is quite common with flash based storage.

I put the WD drive into my Windows desktop and also ran WD’s diagnosis software. It did not detect any issues whatsoever. The drive also has the latest firmware available.

On Windows it does not cause any problems for me, though I did not test windows on the framework in combination with the WD SN850 so take this with a grain of salt.

1 Like

I’ve been using the SN850 1TB for a little over 6 weeks on the Framework now without any issues. FWIW I am using Slackware Linux (tried Windows 11 dual boot for a week too without issues), please let me know if there is anything that I can do to test/reproduce that might be of help.

So I wasn’t seeing anything disk-related in my journal so far, also during / after crashes. So I do not think at the moment that my specific problem is the SSD.

But: I’m running without a crash now for almost 2 days! A colleague of mine asked me whether it might be Bluetooth, so I’m running with a tooooooo short headset cable right now :slight_smile: and a Logi Unifying Receiver for my mouse, with deactivated Bluetooth.
If that’s what it takes, I’ll need a longer headset cable.

I’ve been using Bose QC35 and MX Master 3 via BT.

Let’s see how this goes.

2 Likes

@Michael_Siebert – any updates?

Yeah, looks like it is Bluetooth related - if I turn off Bluetooth, use headset via cable and mouse via Logitech Adapter: no crashes.

Next I’ll try to verify whether it’s bt audio or HID or just “presence”, but I’m on vacation right now, so no work laptop.

1 Like

Interesting my thinkpad e590 kept freezing after update to ubuntu 22.04.
And I had aswell blutooth just turning off!
Now I have updated the bios 3 days ago and no freez and no bluetooth off.

My freez where the dektop like a picture nothing happening at all. Needed to reset with hard reboot.

@Iann_C which bios version are you running? I run 3.07, with those issues

It happened to me on another device. A thinkpad from lenovo.
I was just sharing, that it might not be just framework laptops. I never had such freezings with ubuntu the past 10 years. The lenovo thinkpad bios update solved it for me. No idea what as changed in this bios.
If that helps I updated to 1.32 thinkpad bios ,Ibthink I was from 1.26ish.
Logs are quite obscure…maybe this windows 11 stuff made it work…
CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
Version 1.31

[Important updates]

• Security issue update LEN-60179, LEN-68033, LEN-59195, LEN-66614, LEN-66615 and LEN-61632.

[New functions or enhancements]

• Added Win11 OS support.

No issues with freezing on EndeavourOS (arch derivative), on BIOS 3.07, 3.09, or 3.10, with heavy/continuous bluetooth audio and HID use. Kernels 5.15.* and 5.18.*, have not gotten to 5.19 yet.

HTH.

My framework laptop also experiences occasional freezes in Gentoo. However it only happens when the screen is blank and the system is idle. It never happens if there’s any significant load on the system (never had it froze on me when I leave music playing on it). I configured my system to turn off display after 10 minutes of idling, and never suspend to RAM unless instructed. I’ve been experiencing this issue since I got the machine (running BIOS 3.02 back then) up to now (running BIOS 3.10). No freezes under Windows, or another laptop with a nearly identically configured Gentoo system. I don’t use bluetooth, and I have a Samsung 970 pro installed in my framework.

My FW freezes at least once/day, must force off/on. Also runs hot even though it has plenty of air on the bottom.

Framework Laptop DIY Edition (11th Gen Intel® Core™)
250GB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™
Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200

Laptop Make: Model > Framework: Laptop AB
Kernel: 5.15.0-46-generic
Shell: bash 5.1.16
DE: GNOME 42.2
WM: Mutter
CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz [167.0°F]
CPU Usage: 4%
Disk (/): 39G / 228G (18%)
GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
GPU Driver: i915
Memory: 3864MiB / 15786MiB (24%)
Resolution: 2256x1504

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.

SMBIOS 3.3.0 present.
BIOS Information
Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
Version: 03.07
Release Date: 12/14/2021
Address: 0xE0000
Runtime Size: 128 kB
ROM Size: 12 MB
BIOS Revision: 3.7

2 Likes

Apart from the HD and bios my system is identical running Ubuntu 22.04.1, try upgrading the bios to the latest 03.10.
My Framwork is running stable the fan only comes on when the machine is working hard ripping DVD,s and the like and my battery life is around 5 to 7 hr depending on what I am using it for.

@QRP Do you have the possibility to swap the disk with another model for testing? That did the trick for me but there seem to be different causes for freezing (e.g. faulty wifi/bluetooth cards). Also the same model of disk which caused my machine to crash does work perfectly fine for other people here. I suggest you contact the Framework support.

Are there any errors in your logs after a freeze? You can check with

In regards to the the temperature, 167°F (75°C) is quite normal @4.7GHz. Try the balanced power profile (if you are using power-profiles-daemon) to get that down in idle. Also applying a different thermal paste does help. I’ve used Thermal Grizzly’s Kryonaut, which works well for me. I’m at around 116.6°F (47°C) at idle but it can easily reach 167°F (75°C) when loaded.

I will check the log after the next freeze.
I have switched out mice, OS, browser, still getting random freezes. I will post after the next freeze.
Thanks for your help.

Just froze and rebooted.
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_TZ.ETMD>
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel:
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: No Local Variables are initialized for Method [_OSC]
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: Initialized Arguments for Method [_OSC]: (4 arguments def>
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: Arg0: 00000000fd4f0b40 Buffer(16) 5D A>
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: Arg1: 00000000effbaf21 Integer 0000000>
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: Arg2: 000000007a0c7c28 Integer 0000000>
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: Arg3: 000000006b1f36e3 Buffer(8) 00 00>
Oct 29 19:37:42 pop-os kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.IETM._OSC due to previous>
lines 26-54/54 (END)

BTW, Pop! OS runs much cooler than Ubuntu.
BIOS Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
BIOS Version: 03.10

That doesn’t seem to be all the log lines. Try to add --no-pager (I forgot that in my previous post, sorry) for journalctl to print all lines without pager:

sudo journalctl -k -p4 -b-1 --no-pager

You can check if you still got logs from that boot and adjust the -b option.

sudo journalctl --list-boots --no-pager

I’m also experiencing freezes since several month and went through a lengthy process with Framework’s support team (super helpful people btw!). Unfortunately until now we couldn’t find the culprit.

System:

• 11th gen
  • 32 GB ram (only 1 module)
  • SSD WDS250G3X0C

Variables ruled out together with Framework team:

• Removing USB hub didn’t help
  • Switching from Ubuntu to Fedora didn’t help
  • Switching RAM to different slot didn’t help
  • Memtest86 didn’t return any errors after 2 passes
  • Removing all extension cards didn’t help
  • Removing USB hub didn’t help
  • SMART status of SSD is ok
  • Running on battery or power adapter makes no difference.

I noticed that freezes become more frequent on certain kernels; I had an almost flawless experience on the 5.19.16-200.fc36.x86_64, but after upgrading to 6.0.5-200.fc36.x86_64 the freezes returned again.

Since this thread became a bit quiet I wanted to ask in this forum if anyone else than OP experienced freezes on 11th gen hardware and is in contact with Framework support about it? Could anyone solve it?

Might it be that there are still driver issues and regressions in the current kernels for 11th gen Intel chips? Or does it rather sound like a hardware issue? I’m a bit clueless to be honest and I feel not so many people around are having issues with their 11th gen hardware.