[SOLVED] Linux Lvfs firmware update hung on pd2 firmware and can't update firmware via lvfs

Hi,

Firmware update via lvfs seems to have hung on pd2 firmware 0.1.14 to 0.1.21. Been stuck on for the last hour or so. Where do I go from here? And it just rebooted back into the firmware update process. And rebooted again. Oh boy. I’m still able to directly boot into grub via way of boot menu so it isn’t completely blasted.

Specs:

• Bios version HFW30.03.06
  • Arch os
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System)?
    -12th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with?

Update 23:55

Boot loop seems to have ended rightly. Still on 3.06 firmware.

update 30-12-2022.

Trying to update via the lvfs which fails by bootlooping a few times.

Using the below command:

sudo fwupdmgr update

Results in:

Devices with the latest available firmware version:
• System Firmware
• UEFI Device Firmware
╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ Upgrade UEFI Device Firmware from 207 to 310? ║
╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ Retimer firmware update for BIOS 3.06. Please note that after updating the ║
║ retimer firmware you will not be able to downgrade the BIOS below 3.06 ║
║ otherwise the left side ports will stop working with usb3, usb4, ║
║ thunderbolt, or display port alt mode devices. ║
║ ║
║ Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core) must remain plugged into a power source for ║
║ the duration of the update to avoid damage. ║
╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hi @Myceliumboi
If you followed the instructions mentioned at the LVFS sections correctly, and are still experiencing issues, definitely open a ticket with FW support.

It is weekend and the New Year coming, support is likely out until Tuesday, maybe double check everything and try again?
Especially the DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true in /etc/fwupd/uefi_capsule.conf. FW bios currently does not support capsule update.

Interesting comment in the main thread about the failed 207->310 update:

@Cipher I indeed changed it, didn’t help. What seemed to work is what @Fraoch suggested and that was plugging the power adapter in on the right hand side.

2 Likes

Marking this resolved.

1 Like