M.2 2230 SSD Recommendations for the Framework 16

That sounds like a pretty solid plan for your case. If you care about corruption it’s pretty good to be able to detect and repair corruption.

You could also just run btrfs with multiple copies on a single drive if corruption is your only worry. With btrfs you can pretty granularity set what is supposed to have how much redundancy.

ZFS…:stuck_out_tongue:

I currently run ZFS on my home NAS (FreeBSD), and on my desktop & laptop (Debian). The snapshoting is so useful, saved myself by taking a snapshot before a big upgrade, something went wrong, boot via a USB thumb drive to a rescue image, import the ZFS and revert back to the snapshot, back up and running.

Also use zfs on my nas. For desktop use and redundancy on a single drive the higher flexibility of btrfs may be the better match though. Btrfs has snapshots too.

I’ve avoided BTRFS since the early days, although from what I understand it’s been a few years since single drive, and mirror & stripe modes are solid.

However, I got started with ZFS, so just keep on using it since I’m used to it and know it’s quirks and such.

I’ve been using it on most of my systems for probably 10 years now. I have never had it fail on me. I don’t get why people always hate on it and when I ask them to provide reasons, they never have any examples where it did them wrong. Meh, I love btrfs.

My Framework 16 currently has Arch, Ubuntu, and Fedora all installed on the same partition, under their own subvolumes on btrfs. Pretty awesome way to not waste more space than you have to, all while keeping each OS completely separate.

1 Like

Mostly it was the early days, then it got to be habit.

Although still don’t try and use RAID5/6 AFAIK. Not sure if that’ll ever end up being fixed. Good quality filesystems are HARD.

I got away with running btrfs raid 6 right when they had problems XD, never had any noticeable data loss and I changed the structure a lot during this time. Being able to just add a drive to the array was a feature I kept missing in zfs for a long time and even the kinda implementation that zfs is getting/has now is just a shadow of the flexibility btrfs brings.

But for desktop use the flexibility is even more useful imo. The multiple copies option especially would be an exact fit for your data corruption paranoia, with 2 or 3 copies and check-summing you can be pretty sure the file you get is exactly what you gave it or not at all even on a single drive (you are still gonna need to do backups i case your drives die or the whole laptop disappears or decides to put 18v on the 3.3 rail and fries both ssds or whatever).

My nas is definitely gonna stay zfs for the foreseeable future though.

I don’t use raid5/6 on btrfs, but reading about it my understanding is that it was fine as long as you had metadata set to raid1. btrfs just has a few gatchas that will ruin our day if you have no idea what you are doing. It doesn’t hold your hand :stuck_out_tongue:

Afaik those issues have been fixed long ago (the reputation it got from them outlives them though XD), I was just running it while they were a thing and got away with it.

I don’t think zfs holds your hands any more or less than btrfs does, both are extremely robust at this point.

1 Like

This is just for reference for the community, to say that the Corsair MP 600 2tb 2230 ssd works flawlessly, fits like a charm and works without heat issues. FW16 also does a good job dissipating heat through the bottom of the laptop, even when downloading and installing 160gb games for example in one go it does not have any issues and does not get overly hot. Also gaming from it works without issue.

https://www.amazon.de/Corsair-MP600-CORE-Mini-NVMe/dp/B0CKXXY791

1 Like

I went with a SABRENT 2230, it works with no issues since I’ve installed it.
(It’s not the most technical overview I know but here we are)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BQG6JCRP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I personally went with the 1TB WD PC SN740 (happened to be on bargain sale at a German retailer when I looked around for it), however I find this site quite useful to get an overview of available models, which ones are re-brands and general attributes: List: 2TB, 1TB, 512GB M.2 2230 SSDs (January 2024) – upgrades for Surface Pro/Laptop, SteamDeck, XBox Series X, etc. – Dan S. Charlton

Weird question: could you run the FW16 with just the secondary M.2 2230 size slot filled, and nothing in the main 2280 sized slot?

Yes, I did that to start with using an SK Hynix 256GB which I loaded with Win10.