[SOLVED] Matte screen please! :)

This is actually what I ended up doing on my ThinkPad X1 Tablet Gen 3, which is the laptop~tablet that I use when I’m at a client. I wanted a 3:2 screen so bad (and a TrackPoint and a very good keyboard) that I decided that adding a matte screen protector could be a workaround. Putting it properly was tricky but I was successful in doing this and I can’t complain today.

So yes, this is the way I would go with the Framework laptop because it has a lot of great things, especially a 3:2 screen ratio. I would love to be able to get a 7-row keyboard, probably as much as having a TrackPoint. Honestly, a good-quality-keys-7-row keyboard + TrackPoint + 3:2 HiDPI screen = me paying $4,000, even if I have to add a matte screen protector. EDIT : assuming that a matte screen protector will exist. I will make sure that it does exist and it’s of good quality before buying the Framework laptop.

2 Likes

The matte option would make this laptop perfect.

3 Likes

Another vote for matte. Re: a touch screen though, on a laptop like this it has little utility when you actually use it in real life.

3 Likes

Just another vote for a matte screen. Was going to pre-order and found it wasn’t an option. Will 100% order if/when it’s available. After using a laptop with one I can’t go back to glossy.

6 Likes

Adding another vote for a matte screen, honestly dealing with the glare is a dealbreaker in my book.

3 Likes

welp… this is a pretty big bummer:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Not buying if there isn’t an option for matte screens. Absolutely not negotiable.

3 Likes

I’m a geezer-nerd with poor eyesight. :woozy_face: Glossy screen is totally unacceptable - a no-go for me.

2 Likes

What matte screen option as well!

but we do have anti-glare coatings on the display to make it super usable in most lighting conditions.

This is not true. Screen is very glossy and “anti-glare coating” even if it is present is not helping at all.

5 Likes

I would have already bought one if a matte screen was an option. I even searched for a matte replacement screen but could not find one. If I can find a matte replacement screen, I’ll probably buy at least one DIY model. I doubt I’d be happy with a matte screen protector.

1 Like

+1

Any chances this is coming in near future?

Matte screens are essentially glossy screens with a permanent matte layer on top. A good quality matte screen protector provides virtually the same thing. Head on over to the matte screen protector thread for an idea of peoples’ experiences before ruling it out.

13 Likes

Please forgive my ignorance, but I find myself wondering if a matte bezel is possible.

1 Like

@Andrew_Holden the bezel is plastic, and quite matte.

1 Like

Maybe I misspoke, and I apologize if this is what you were answering. I meant to ask if a bezel with an integrated matte panel in the center is possible, and if it would have the desired effect.

Ah, that was discussed a bit in this thread:

After playing with my Framework laptop for many weeks, I’m now convinced that a matte screen would indeed be a huge improvement to the overall experience. I spend a lot of time on a terminal screen with a dark background. The glossy reflections are especially annoying there.

[PS: I am coming to Framework from a Thinkpad T460 which, I believe, had a matte screen but with an abysmal 250 nits of brightness. So, despite the glare, I’m way happier with my Framework display than the T460.]

5 Likes

Adding one more vote for matte screens in future! I intend to use this laptop for work, and working in the terminal with a dark background is really hard on the eyes with the glossy screen. Looking into matte screen protectors now.

2 Likes

@Anna_Ordog I can independently vouch for the Photodon protector (that @nrp demoed w pictures above in the thread) looks really good, and they should soon have the sizing optimized for the Framework it seems

4 Likes