Matte screen protector

I got my ViaScreens matte cover today, and immediately set about installing it.

Screen #1: Went well until I realized I lined the protector flush with one corner of the screen instead of centering it. No problem, they sent two screens, and the first one went surprisingly smoothly. Now that I have experience, the second should be a piece of cake, right?

Screen #2: Lined it up perfectly… and then yanked the entire protector off when attempting to peel off the surface protector.

0 for 2. Time to put in another order…

3 Likes

This is way too easy to do lol, luckily I was able to reapply it since I’d only lifted part of it off.

1 Like

Yup. That’s how I ended up with one small speck of dust under the upper left corner. Didn’t bother trying to get it out as it’s close enough to the edge that it’s not an issue, and I didn’t want to risk getting more under there.

2 Likes

Just ordered a MXT: Medium matte finish from Photodon.

1 Like

Just dropping a note that Photodon.com Just added a Part # SKU for the framework screen protectors. 3409-01 This will make it easier to order and cheaper also because it is not a custom cut. The size for this is 285.5x190.5 with 1mm (square) Corners.

4 Likes

Anyone have a direct link for photodon? Framework 13.5-inch Laptop Privacy and Screen Protectors isn’t found.

2 Likes

try this it was just added today:
Framework 13.5

5 Likes

Cheers! I just happened to go checking before they updated.

1 Like

I got a matte Viascreens protector (took almost three weeks to get here. Thanks Royal Mail).

It looks sick. Seriously good - better I think than even the matte display on my X1. Better in person than the photos posted above. I 100% recommend it.

2 Likes

Photodon has been shipped.

1 Like

Well, I just destroyed my screen and protector during installation. $200 and one day wasted. If you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go bang my head through a wall.

It really is indefensible to not offer matte as a factory option.

2 Likes

I tend to concur. I’ve installed those things in other devices before, and while it is possible to successfully install them, it can be an absolute nightmare to do it, especially if you do it in a dry/dusty environment. A new matte option from factory should be at the top of framework’s list of priorities.

5 Likes

I just wanted to share my experience with Photodon, which was great. I bought their MXT screen protector and had them professionally install it. Don’t let the fact that installation being a “Request a quote” option scare you, their prices were quite reasonable. In fact a large portion of the cost (about 50%) was the shipping to and from Photodon (using Fedex Ground), rather than the cost of the screen protector and installation service itself.

I started with the quote (which I actually requested before buying the framework), and their support staff was awesome, especially given that I am just a consumer (not a business). When my framework came in I continued on with their support staff, to actually place and order and arrange the rest of it, real easy.

Finally, the quality of the screen protector and its installation. Absolutely no complaints here, its basically as if I had a matte screen from factory. While I would still prefer a matte screen option from factory, or a preinstalled matte screen protector option from framework, in that order, this is really the next best thing.

I would 100% recommend, especially if you are like me and the only thing you despise more than a glossy screen, is trying to install a freaking screen protector.

7 Likes

If anyone wants a ViaScreens protector (Matte Lite version) for their Framework, I have one sealed up that I didn’t need. $25 shipped in the US. Cost me $32 originally.

Thanks

1 Like

@SeanL - good idea.

I believe there are a number of folks in the Toronto area - if anyone’s interested in the ViaScreens Matte protector just shoot me a message. Not sure I’d know how to ship this thing effectively, so pickup is best.

1 Like

Good workaround. But it is workaround. I absolutely supportive of the idea Framework represents. Personally, I am not considering laptop with glossy screen OOB

1 Like

So I have the ViaScreens protector matte. Anyone know of an easier way to install these? I like to think I’m at least a bit competent, but no matter what, mine has been coming out crooked at the very end by a mm or two and riding up against the bezel. Anyone had any success with taking the bezel off to install?

Even tried the “tape” technique where I tape it in place, open it like a book, remove the plastic sheet to apply and try to line it up.

Other than that, I love the screen protectors. I’m really interested in the privacy one. Never had any experience with those in any setting, but it seems like a nice concept.

2 Likes

@macropaige I installed the Viascreen Matte Light no issue, I think I pulled it up once after about 1/4 of screen to straighten it up. I removed the bezel cover, are you aware it’s only held on by magnets? Just dig at a corner with fingernail or the spudger end of your Framework tool. Tilt screen back for easier removal. It’s one of the best features of the Framework.

2 Likes

When I installed mine, I lined it up with the bezel on and then lifted up just one side of the bezel to put on the alignment stickers. Once I had it nicely lined up and taped down, I removed the entire bezel. After that, it’s just like their installation video, where you lift the protector up, clean the screen, and then peel off the backing while you stick it down.

Definitely watch their video and use the alignment stickers like they do. And raising the humidity in your room will help you control dust.

I installed mine perfect the first time. Not a single trapped bit of dust or bubble. So I would definitely recommend the method. I’ve installed quite a few of these on different laptops and this is only my second perfect installation and the first one that I’ve taped down.

2 Likes

I think it’s been said before, but I think the best bet for a “screen protector” will be one that doesn’t use adhesive and instead uses something else. Not sure what, but it’ll exist eventually