New 2230 SSD models worth the wait?

If your referring to the Fifth shipment update, then the contents of the email seem to say the contrary, as they say they are gonna ship as long as no issues arise.

Wow,
Thanks for the very detailed answer, very useful information.
With that in mind, the main advantage of newer drives would be in high queue depth applications. It’s unlikely that any of the software I’ll be using will be able to make use of that. And stuff I write myself definitely won’t.
So, thanks, that helped a lot!

Dirt you actually read the email? :laughing:

I have yet to see a drive actually saturate the interface in even remotely random reads/write, let alone something like low4K. (which is more or less what an OS actually does). The most expensive non-enterprise drives I have tested only offer maybe 50% more than the cheapest consumer drives, and that’s across like an 7-year gap.

A humble 32GB stick of Optane (not an SSD) on 2 lanes of PCIe2 will eat a sn730 (1TB? 2TB?) for snacks by pushing 171MB/s of low4K.

Manufacturers tout those absurd sequential reads/write, but you only hit those in truly ideal conditions

I just go to a reputable brand, sort by cheap, and find one with capacity I need and a DRAM cache. It’s gonna work.

As far as I remember, DRAM cache is a no-go on 2230, at least for now.

I definitely wrote data analysis scripts where I/O was the bottleneck. Clearly I could’ve done it better and it was a SATA SSD. But it’s possible

EDIT: probably wasn’t the bus that saturated in my scripts
now that I’m thinking about it, so disregard previous comment

I have some uh … “Western Digital Internal/OEM 512GB SN530 WDC SDBPTPZ-512G-1012”

I pulled these from a Dell OEM, and I peeled back the sticker on one of them, there’s a small package of DRAM.
Yeah it’s only 512, but it’s also only 1-sided.

yeah SATA can be quite easily saturated, with a max speed of about 550MB/s. Most drives I have can pretty consistently reach speeds over that, on mixed data. On PCIe3/4 it’s not close.

Also check this out
[M.2 2230 ONLY] SSD Survey - Framework Laptop 16 DIY

Thanks, I did before starting the thread. I couldn’t find the answer to my question about 2024 drives.

All the info on the sn530 I can find says it’s DRAM-less. And yeah, 512 is not enough.

Yeah, it’s quite likely I won’t be able to saturate it. It’s mostly a case of future-proofing since I really really don’t want to reinstall the system on that drive within the next 4 years or copy it to another drive. So if I can saturate the bus, I would be more serene. But the specs that were listed above have changed my mind, so I’ll likely go with the sn770m

To me the question is whether you really want to be an early adopter with that particular component in what I assume would be a daily driver… :thinking:

Yeah you are right. I mistaken the PMIC for a controller and the actual controller for a DRAM pack.

It’s the closest thing, though.

If you have scoured the internet and can’t find a 2230 with a DRAM cache, then I guess you can pick your sn770.

Otherwise I will strongly recommend installing your OS on a 2280 with a cache, it does help with endurance.

They say the sn740 is pretty fast. It has not a DRAM cache but a SLC-sort of cache for faster responses.

1 Like

My main OS will be installed on a SK Hynix P41 (2280 drive with DRAM) as mentioned in the first post. My other OS will be installed on the 2230 though.

It won’t be my daily driver OS. I actually will likely boot into it fairly infrequently. But no, don’t really want to have an early adopter experience. I can tolerate a BSOD every once in a while but nothing that would require reinstalling the OS. But are new SSDs really that unstable?

You mentioned that you won’t be using the secondary OS very often, so I guess a cacheless is fine. Anyway you will still able to benefit from the PCIe buffer on the controller itself.

Yeah the 770 look fairly good, although seems to be a tad excessive. For me, at least.

OK then, seems that’s what I’m going for.

Yeah, it’s likely a bit excessive. But the laptop will cost me over 2000€ without a GPU, so spending a few euros more doesn’t seem like that big an issue.
Also, I can’t find the 740 in stock on amazon or other resellers in the EU.

And bloody hell, the prices just keep getting weirder. A Corsair MP600 2TB 2230 costs 250€, slightly more than the sn770m.

1 Like

Nah. It’s quite rare. And I don’t even know that those could be attributed to new components so much as simply poor manufacturing. Still…

Find me a 2230 with DRAM that’s not an OEM special drive.

1 Like

aah.
I must mention, there is a high chance you can get a 2x NVMe carrier for the GPU-less version. Framework in fact made it the reference design for expansion bay modules. At least Linus said that.

I don’t think you can do Intel RST (not that the 16 even ships with an Intel) and do RAID 5 on 4 SSDs. (PCIe lane allocation, etc, etc). But that would be totally sick.

Maybe AMD have something similar, but there is simply no way. Or are there?
I don’t know. You can find out.

If you use an os that isn’t windows you can easily boot off software raid (or even better stuff like zfs) that doesn’t have a weird bios layer and a pseudo driver stuffed in between.

And if you use windows you could put the os on the 2230 and have a software raid 5 over the other 3.

At least on desktop they do

1 Like

I know windows natively support software raid through various methods. I am not too sure how you would make a raid 5 in the installer, though.

Pretty sure you can’t install windows to any kind of os level software raid

My memories are that once you have Windows installed you can mirror the drive if you need some redundancy.

Depends who you are. Most people, no.

Microsoft, to cheap out on 1TB SSDs, sure, just bung in 2 512GBs and cobble it with Spaces.