New Framework 16 will not charge

Hi there, new owner here.

Been so excited to get to utilize a laptop of Theseus.

Sadly, the little guy won’t take a charge. I used the shipping power amount up to set the battery up properly while I was setting up the laptop and getting the OS sorted.

Went to plug it in and got nothing.

Tried switching to a side usb-c. No dice.

It’s a framework 16 ryzen 7840 HS with 33 Gb of ddr5 5600. I did get the GPU as well.

I’ve heard tell of needing to extrude and reinsert the CMOS/RTC but, before this, I figured I’d drop a line and see if someone more knowledgeable has had this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-B

Had this once on mine. Shut it down leave it of and unplugged for some Minutes. And restart it.
If not working go into bios, Battery Disconnect leave it of some Minutes Plug it in and restart.

1 Like

What’s steps might you suggest if it is flat out of power. Won’t boot. Won’t charge?

Try 1.another charger/ 2.try charging without expansion Card/3. remove the battery for some minutes and reinstall it.
On what ports did you try charging?

1 Like

I ended up grabbing two usbcs. One for each side. I’ve tried both of those ports. I’ve also tried the main charging Port.

I used my USBC phone charger as well as the charger from my steam deck.

I currently have the battery removed and sitting.

I thought about removing and reinserting the CMOS battery but I don’t seem to see it On the top of the board.

Frankly, I’m a little bit of a Luddite to be futzing around in here but this is how I’ll learn I suppose?

Thanks @PSierra117

My Laptop also stopped charging when i accidentally inserted two chargers.
Only the 4 Ports nearest to the Rear are capable of charging and only use one Charger at a Time.
There is no CMOS Battery on the FW16 you can retrofit one, but its holding its settings through the big battery. The cmos retrofit is only for Standalone Operation.

Reinstall the battery, keep the midplate off. Plug In the Charger and there should be a blinking light. If so its working again.

*edit try all 4 Ports which allow for charging. One did still work for me when the other 3 stopped working. Missed to mention that. But i did the same troubleshooting.

1 Like

This helped me

1 Like

Hi @blake_stewart,

Sorry to hear your new Framework Laptop 16 (FW16) is not charging. This happens partially due to the IATA regulations :airplane: of batteries only being allowed to be charged at minimal levels while shipping. I believe it can not be over 25% but I have not read the regulations in years.

The laptop battery is likely at 0% or near zero charge.

Here is the TL:dr

Likely, the battery has gone totally flat in your machine. It is perfectly fine, it is just without any charge. There is a known issue with the BIOS that sometimes will NOT let it charge from the included 180W charger if it is totally dead :headstone: because the embedded controller (EC) that controls the subsystems like the charging, ports, low level communication, etc. is stuck and defaults to frozen state to protect the device. :policeman:

With the current state you described perform the following:

1. Carefully reinstall the battery back into the machine. :low_battery:
  2. Including reinstalling all the screws to reassemble the machine just the way it arrived :screwdriver:
  3. Find a USB PD Charger that is 30-60W; a 15W one might work too but it will be painfully slow.
  4. Open the laptop screen and do not press any buttons :no_entry_sign:.
  5. Plug the smaller charger you located into the REAR LEFT or REAR RIGHT port. (If you can not decide just use the left)
  6. WAIT a solid 2 minutes to see if anything happens.
    a. If the orange charging light shows up on that side; leave the machine for a solid hour to get a start on charging it from being totally dead. :bulb:
    b. If nothing happens after waiting two minutes; then gently press the power button once and wait about 60 seconds. :stopwatch:If the screen does not come on; gently press and HOLD the power button for 20 seconds (this forces the EC to reset itself); release, wait a few seconds, and gently press it once. It should come to life but might take 60 seconds for the screen to light up. :clock1:

When it first comes to life; the memory training should take about 30-45 seconds. This only needs to happen once. :one:

Some warnings/thoughts to keep in mind: (TL:dr)
  • There is no “main charging port” i.e. the USBC port in the rear is VIDEO ONLY if you have the video card on the expansion shell.
  • Avoid plugging in TWO sources of power to charge the laptop; it can confuse and likely panic the EC. More is not better in this case.
  • For the sake of simplicity, the FW16 does not have a CMOS battery just like a smartphone does not have one
  • Ideally try not to let the laptop go below 15% of charge; it is hard on any Lithium-Ion battery to completely discharge it and shortens the number of charge cycles as well as overall capacity
  • The newest BIOS does have some updates to address this and other minor issues; though it is not advisable to perform the update unless it has +70% charge. Ideally leave it plugged into the Framework Charger and you will not have an issue.

These are just my thoughts and some observations of myself and others on the forum.

Once it gets a decent base charge of 15% or more :battery:, the smaller charger can be disconnected and the 180W will rocket the charge up rather quickly. If the FW16 goes totally flat again for a long period of time, this process should bring it back to life. Current and future BIOS releases should make this process unnecessary though.

Congratulations on your new FW16! Welcome to the community! :grinning:

Let us know how things turn out.

2 Likes

So, very interesting result!

I can charge (after battery reinstall).

I started with my steam deck charger and then moved over to using my framework charger upon bootup. Since then I have had zero issues.

One item I have been cogitating on as a user. A lot of folks might have reticence to a DIY smaller manufacturer for just issues such as the one I had above.

I’d argue that whatever hiccups there are are, not only outweighed by the upgradability/modularity of Framework, but are probably less prevalent than a home built desktop using off the rack components.

That’s a real coup. I own the laptop of Theseus.

Glad your Framework Laptop 16 is up and running. They are amazing machines and hopefully spur other vendors to rethink how they produce products for the future.