Niche expansion cards

They are. People like to put their multiple Dell bricks to good use.

Like I said, they are effectively a DC-DC switch. It’s a lot more difficult than people would normally anticipate.

The only problem is that a single expansion card is not enough of a structural support to keep the external GPU in place. On laptops with docks you need heavy-duty tabs, aligning pins, hooks (and matching eye-holes) and whatsnot to ensure firm attachment.

My original idea is more of a cable “cast” where the connector plug is shaped like an expansion slot and directly to the main board (instead of through a USB-C passthrough that degrade signals), and help eliminate extra “stuff” beyond the edge of the laptop. The other end then goes to a regular graphics box.

What this idea reminded me of is the old Dell Optical/Floppy “deck”. It’s a dock for their older laptops, and it houses an optical and a floppy drive, as well as maybe some USB, Serial and other ports on the back. Like I mentioned, there are multiple locking points on the bottom of the laptop.

That’s why I meant to slide or snap it onto the base, so there would be no force on the expansion slot. But that was just a thought, as I’m still waiting to hold a Framework laptop in my hand I can’t verify if there would be a way to make this possible.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if others mentioned it, but having an expansion card to run doom on it would be great!

1 Like

Pretty much every controller has a plug thicker than a module so making a module to accept one would be little better than the USB adapters that already exist.

Honestly Wacky things i would love to see is a built in battery pack that acts like a bridge-battery like the old thinkpads ( the last being the T480 generation )

1 Like

It’s a 4-cell vs 6-cell battery.
Weirdly I remember them as being a Dell thing. Although it could be for both
Before Lenovo bought them.

If you make it stout enough (maybe half or 1/3 the depth of the laptop) a 4-port “stand” with … aah.
Fan booster and GPU all in one “performance dock” would be nice.

The connectors on one side could simply be removed and “snap-on” later. And because it’s relatively stout the torque/forces applied to it is not going to be too significant.

I made a little 3-view drawing.

6 Likes

Is there a way to make usb expansion cards that only do data transfer and not charging?

Yes and no, I could do it so the power delivery pairs are not attached just VBUS and data, though for USB-C I also need CC pins meaning that it isn’t exactly possible

Did I overread it or did no one actually pick up on this idea?

1 Like

what about for usb-a?
The reason I ask is because I don’t want my framework to charge while connected to my docking station.

definitely FPGA

2 Likes

If not on here already, +1 for VGA! Maybe even a full size serial port :blush:

1 Like

Both being prototyped and developed, at the moment the serial port is very close to being able to be sold.

5 Likes

@Josh_Cook That’s cool! Are these like official framework products or is some third party making them?

I’d love a vga port! :blush:

1 Like

Developed by me.

4 Likes

@Xavier_Jiang
That is on point, GPU on right additional battery on the left, Since the ports are USB4 it should support eGPU and it could be something like and AMD or Nvidia card.

Another thing to consider is instead of having it tapper off as aggressively in you design here you could instead have hollowed out just enough to be able to put in a actual PCI card too.

having been fiddling around with stuff on my desk, I noticed that a mikrotik sfp+ module is a similar length to one of the expansion card boxes. I wonder if it would be possible to get an SFP+ cage into a module. I guess it depends on if the electronics can be fitted into half the width of a module and if the heat would be tolerable.

The height of the base can be increased. It is not going to be too difficult.
The idea of the “aggressive taper off” is because the base need to be as short as possible to limit the amount of torque (potentially, at least) applied to the ports when something inevitably wedges between the base and the laptop, so to keep the base “stout”.

The “incline” is to then ensure that the laptop’s rubber feet (or whatever) can still touch the surface when being docked to.

I need to do another production batch, so I have a couple of expansion cards that I can do. Note that the USB hub doesn’t exactly work the best as a data transfer hub but more for basic devices like a keyboard, mouse or phone. Do not ask me what this thing is, if you don’t know what it is you more than likely do not need it. I’m also going to be selling basic USB2.0 breakout boards that I already have stock of but just waiting for my reel of 5.1k ohm resistors.

• USB-A 2.0 4 port hub
  • Optoisolated USB-A
  • Basic DB9 serial
  • RS422 to DB9 connector
  • RS485 to DB9
  • RJ45 serial for networking gear

0 voters

2 Likes

How about a M.2 slot so a PCIE to M.2 adapter could be easily plugged in to run an external GPU.