Niche expansion cards

Because I’m going to wait until I get my Framework in, although I suppose in theory I don’t need to. But I’ll have to make the entire thing from scratch, because I need a USB-C male in, so a custom designed board. Should be pretty doable I expect, especially with the open specs on the schematics. And the help I’m sure they’d give me on their forums.

1 Like

You could also just use one of the allready designed microcontroller expansion cards like the rp2040 one and abuse it as a serial adabter if plan a doesn’t work out.

But plan a sounds quite doable

Possibly, although I’d rather a proper FTDI or the like USB → Serial. Probably could even add the other pinouts needed for full RS-232 so a simple plug + DB-9/RJ-45 could suffice for those needing it.

I’ll see, a bit of a ways off for the moment at least.

I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but a similar device is available from miniDSP.
The form factor is a bit bigger than what would fit on the Framework, but it shows that it could work.

an air sensor suite of temp, pressure, humidity AIO would be cool

I worry temp would be too influenced by the heat of the machine. But possible otherwise.

LIDAR so I can catch speeders. A breakout module to support hardware development, maybe will a cable that plugs into a solderless breadboard…

Yeah, I’m hoping to DIY up some kind of FTDI, with a switch to do 5v/3.3v logic and power.

1 Like

There is already design allowing for switchable FTDI serial (albeit only TX and RX are exposed). See GitHub repo.

Oh wow, cool, thanks for that link. Looks great…except the switching is internal, not any kind of easy access. Ideally it’d be from the face on the edge, but I’d certainly accept something built in to the top that’s hidden when inserted, but still easy to switch when removed from the Framework. I do want/need to have the Vdd (3.3v/5v) pin pulled out to the connector, make it a whole lot easier to hook up little micros like ESP8266/ESP32 to flash them and the like, without requiring an external power source.

But, design is open, all the KICAD are posted, so that’s pretty awesome.

Thanks for pointing that one out to me.

Since I’m using my work laptop a lot for CAD in the Workshop and at the customer’s sites, directly at/on machine tools (and every now and then my private laptop as well) I thought it would be nice if there was some small Spacemouse with an expansion card end so you don’t have to have space to put either a Spacemouse or a normal mouse down.

I don’t think it’s a feasible idea tho, for a couple of reasons:

• The expansion card slots are probably not designed to take the forces of an input device, especially one with forces in all directions, like a Spacemouse.
  • If you were to make a bracket to put a small 3Dconnexion Spacemouse in, I feel like that would be a bit too big and clunky, and making a smaller one integrated into an expansion card is basically impossible.
  • The idea is probably flawed from the beginning since I always put my hand down on a surface when using the Spacemouse and that’s kinda hard when the whole idea is to have it hanging off the edge of a table.

All in all, I think it’s a fun idea, but not likely to be a good expansion card. I have no motivation to make a prototype and improve on the idea myself, but I thought I’d throw the idea out there.

Has anyone made a framework TV tuner expansion card over the past 3 years? Searching on the forum doesn’t turn up much.

I don’t think so

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but in a similar vein there are the Tomu devices designed to fit inside a USB port, such as the Fomu, an FPGA that fits inside a USB port!

• an open sided card with nvme connector to connect any bare nvme regardless of lenght
  • a lenovo, or whoever has it, type nipple (like the one they put in the middle of the keyboard, but on the side)
  • a combination port with touch slider for changing volume or brightness easily
  • a dual or quad, micro sd reader. hell i would take about 4 of those, for archival with SD cards…
  • speakers. just that, lol. just bigger speakers with a great DAC. i dont know how one can make the two sides cooperate tho, you definitely would want 2. (could make a high quality stereo system in the expansion bay too. 2 smaller in cards, and a bass in the bay?)
  • a 3 battery case that attaches under the laptop to extend its life. could connect through either the bay or as a usb charger through one of the expansion slots. could have extra ports too, if its already making the laptop thicker. imagine an extra 165Wh with 3x55Wh batteries, and extra ports on the back…possibly fitting expansion cards?
  • VGA amd serial ports
  • balanced audio out
  • LoraWAN base station
  • GPS module
  • disguised as normal port GPS module with backup battery and lorawan for tracking if stolen

i have these ideas for now. i hope i havent been repeating something already said in here.

1 Like

i always thought of a Pogo pin expansion card, with somewhat of an external rail or magnet in place.

It could be a cool idea to work on (don’t have the technical skills to do it myself), since it would allow the connection of, idk, custom removable controllers to diy projects (thinking about the FrameDeck projects around here) or a “magsafe-like” Power Delivery system

i guarantee it has some sense in my mind, but maybe people who are more keen on working on laptops and pogo pins will say that the tech is not worth it

What about having a thermal camera on the bottom of the module?

Oh! A magsafe expansion card for those coming from Mac (and frankly for anyone liking magnetic charging)

1 Like

there are already 3d prints available for magnetic charging

Compatible with the Mac chargers?