[RESPONDED] NixOS questions

I think there is a (very) small NixOS user community here. Maybe we can coalesce somewhere in this forum for specific NixOS related issues.

I have one. Is anyone able to turn the great fw-ectool by DHowett GitHub - DHowett/fw-ectool 2 into a nix package and get it on the Nix “repo”?

4 Likes

If it’s helpful to anyone, I think I have a working Nix package for the embedded controller here: GitHub - ssddq/fw-ectool

3 Likes

Using this thread is a good start. I’ll pin it for now.

1 Like

Has anyone gotten their fingerprint scanner to work and would be comfortable sharing the config that enables it with me? I haven’t gotten anything to work.

Hello Koriko,

would be happy to help, are you by any chance using NixOS with Gnome Desktop Environment? can we check if fprintd can see the device at least?

fprintd-enroll list_devices

It would be interesting to see the output.

1 Like

I managed to make it work on NixOS

Those are roughly the steps:

Install fwupd from the stable branch of Nixpkgs (at the time of writing it’s 1.8.15)

https://search.nixos.org/packages?channel=23.05&show=fwupd&from=0&size=50&sort=relevance&type=packages&query=fwupd

After that follow this guide

Updating Fingerprint Reader Firmware on Linux for 13th Gen and AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops

This will work if your fingerprint reader it’s Goodix (USB:0x27C6), you can find it by running
fwupdmgr get-devices and checking in the Vendor section of the Fingerprint reader

I didn’t downgrade fwupd but followed the process at [Beta] LVFS update for Framework Laptop 13, 13th Gen Intel Core & AMD 7040 Series fingerprint reader on Linux - #58 by wyd1makyz0l3. It also works.

1 Like