Now Available for Pre-order in UK, Germany, and France

Ok Thanks, so I’m gonna buy mine this week!! Hope it comes to the rest of eu soon for everyone else.

1 Like

The photo of the german keyboard layout is weird. The right control key is labeled “strg” (which is an ok correct german translation, although the S is usually capitalized), the left one is still labeled “ctrl”. Is this intentional?

3 Likes

Also the PgUp/PgDn keys: shouldn’t it be “Bild”, not “pg”?

Edit: and “Druck[en]” for “PRT SCR”? (ironically all caps while the other labels are lowercase)

1 Like

Found a few places where there are escaped newlines in the text like here:

Wir haben ein maßgeschneidertes, hocheffizientes GaN-basiertes 60-W-USB-C-Netzteil für den Framework Laptop entwickelt, das Sie auswählen können. Es verfügt über austauschbare 1 m AC- und 2 m rechtwinklige USB-C-Kabel.\n\nSie haben auch die Möglichkeit, Ihren eigenen Stromadapter mitzubringen. Wir empfehlen die Verwendung eines USB-PD-kompatiblen USB-C-Netzteils mit einer Leistung von 60 W oder mehr, das alle erforderlichen regulatorischen Tests für Ihre Region bestanden hat.

I placed my preorder, my question is now, is there any way to get to the marketplace (seems like I cannot even reach the english version for now from germany) and maybe add something later to the preorder?

Thank you Vectorspace I have now discovered how to do that.

I assume the current logic redirecting the English website to the specific language website is by checking your accessing source IP address.

As a a temporary workaround, maybe you can try a secure VPN service then connect the Framework website via US from your living country, and I assume you can see the English website that you saw previously.

You can check your site accessing global IP address before and after using VPN on this page: https://www.myip.com/ .

I think Framework’s wrong assumption for this breaking change is that people living in Germany must be the most comfortable for German language than other languages such as English and French and etc. And even worse the website redirects my IP address in Czech Republic to Germany - German website.

I hope Framework would change the redirection logic back not to use this IP address - country binding logic, and find another way to achieve what they want to do. Because the database that Framework website system is using to bind the IP address with the country could be outdated. And I suspect that the logic covers the border cities.

No you can’t - IP addresses get reallocated and reassigned from time to time, so the mapping of IP to location will also change over time.

The border cities are such as Baarle article, Baarle - Wikipedia that has Belgium and Netherlands/Holland territories in the village, and even one house can have 2 countries territories in it, and Basel - Wikipedia that has Switzerland, Germany, France in their actual Basel city life. People can easily cross the border just to go to a shopping mall or restaurant by walk or tram in Basel.

@Bingo @junaruga I had a similar problem yesterday and solved it by simply changing my country/currency to US/USD in the upper right selector. After that, the marketplace etc. were available again.

Thanks! Just changing the country/region to US/USD solved the issue. As “United States” was translated in German, I took a little time to find it.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the expansion to new countries!

One question - my relatively small country - Bulgaria - is missing from the current locale selector. Does that mean there are no plans to bring your products there at all - not even in the mid-to-distant future?

The market size might be small, but the logistics and law issues are pretty much solved (EU-wise), and regarding localization - tech-savvy users might be OK with just an “International English” keyboard layout.
Edit: As noted by some fellows above - direct EUR payments are fine too (BGN has a fixed rate to the EUR and our banks offer automatic conversion without too much added cost).

P.s. Also getting the automatic redirect to “de/de” here too, which is very confusing.

7 Likes

Great to have the frame.work laptop available in Germany! Have you checked out the German standard for open source hardware DIN SPEC 3105? Other countries would benfit.

“”“DIN SPEC 3105 is a standard that delivers an explicit definition of the term “Open Source Hardware” (OSH), based on objective and enforceable criteria. This means, it defines precise criteria to make the difference between hardware devices qualifying as OSH and those who don’t. This standard extends the “Open Source Hardware Definition 1.0” hosted by the Open Source Hardware Association – a definition that is quite generally accepted in the field of OSH. In short, it delivers more detail where the “Open Source Hardware Definition 1.0” remained vague, for example when it comes to define OSH documentation contents.”""

4 Likes

Fairphone has also separated country and language settings.
https://shop.fairphone.com/en/languagegateway/

The top page is redirected to English from my living country Czech Republic.
https://www.fairphone.com/ => https://www.fairphone.com/en/

2 Likes

I think this System76’s form " International Shipping For Thelio" to select country to be notified on the following page looks nice for Framework to model the functionality.

Great news! Can’t wait till you start shipping in the rest of the EU.

2 Likes

@nrp does this mean that in the marketplace you’ll make the ISO keyboard available too?

Thanks

Good catch! Is there already an answer somewhere?

1 Like

I quite love that long waited availability in Europe means just a few countries and a german language lessons for most of Europe via site automatic language changes :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s hilarious. I’ve just decided to check the boards again after a one-month hiatus to see if there’s any follow-up to the underwhelming “European” rollout restricted to just two EU countries. Spoiler alert: there isn’t. Only now I have to Anmelden instead of Log in - unless I Continue with Google. Or, if I don’t have an account, switch to the Konto erstellen form where I can sign up to Stay up to date with […] updates as long as after providing my Vollständiger Name I click on the Create Account button. All this to proceed to the Framework community, which is still English only it seems - no German subforum anyway. So one can (or has to) sign up in (partial) German to post in English.

By the way, I’ve never realized German is such a vocabulary-starved language. On the upside, seems this makes it quite approachable to an English speaker. Here’s some German I learned today:

English: “Guides for Setup”
German: “Guides für Setup”

English: “Community Forum”
German: “Community-Forum”

English: “Knowledge Base”
German: “Knowledge Base” (clearly an example of the tricky German grammar - who’d have expected it not to be “Knowledge-Base”)

English: “High End Notebook DIY Edition”.
German: … (Homework - claim your prize below)

German: “schiffen”
English: … (OK, to be fair this one was actually changed after an earlier report)

Essentially, the website is a big jumble of English, German, and Germ-ish. At this point it feels the obvious next step to perfect this endeavor would be to spice it up with a metal umlaut here and there as the final icing on the cake. This would at least make it look more German. Like: Knöwledge ßäse. It can’t possibly get more German than that, can it? Thank me later.

It’s none of my business but frankly I doubt the Germans feel honored being ushered in to a half-Arsched job like this. And of course, as @ChanJohann said, it makes even less sense to show it to anybody who is not even in Germany, and whose browser is not set to send the Accept-Language: de header or similar.

Otherwise, why not show the French version instead? I’m not in France as well. Or, here’s a bold though, show the English version, as I’m also not in the UK. Incidentally, this would respect what my browser has been requesting all along (Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5).

3 Likes

@BlueBird as a native german speaker i can assure you that the “germish” translations you list are actually desirable. A full on german translation of these words would sound way more awkward to a german speaker, a) because the german language tends to produce longer, composite nouns that can sound awkward when compared to the english counterpart and b) because one will probably have heard the english counterpart first and more often, therefore one might intuitively think it is the “original/right” word, or associate it more with tech stuff than the german translation of it (e.g. “high end” is mainly associated with technology over here, while the german translations “hochklassig” or “premium” are used in a more general sense).

It takes some understanding of the german language and especially its usage to get that, so I actually don’t think the Framework team have done a “half-arsched” job there, unless they got it right by miraculous accident.

6 Likes

Will these preorders be fulfilled in first come first served order?

1 Like