NUCs with 256GB+ RAM

Dear Azure, I just came of a thought … is there some forum/vlog/channel where NUC fans would be posting videos with like say 4x96gb fitted NIC articles/videos!?! i … so far i have found is pugetsystems website > configure does allow 4x96gb with mini-tower combinations but not “disclosing” with NUC … despite their NUC motherboard “Z690” (NUC 13) is has 4 mem slots/banks (https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/v1x5vo/which_ram_slots_to_use_rog_maximus_z690_formula/ … AND … https://www.reddit.com/r/bapccanada/comments/rr94hq/4_sticks_of_ram_on_z690/) … therefore please share your knowledge too and and any such fan groups doing such… lastly i think it is unwise now to search with say “NUC 4x96gb” (with/without quotes) on google but instead with precisely motherboards which go into them … i will look for NUC 14 Pro’s motherboard and then will look for forums doing something like “Z790 4x96gb” … i am not sure whether wikipedia > List_of_Intel_chipsets implies Z790 as NUC-motherboard and will check… though it has 4 mem banks … please share your take on the matter in whole… thank you!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SolidWorks/comments/11tyih7/need_recommendations_for_30k_solidworks/ … “There are new BIOS updates on the way for the new 48 and 96 GB memory kits but manufacturers need some time.” … “We are waiting for DDR5 8ch (channel) controller with our workstation refresh” … “I don’t know when will these firmware will arrive, since it’s totally up to the board’s manufacturer, but theoretically the highest amount of RAM will be 384GB with 4x96GB kits.” … “As far as I know no Z790 board support more than 128GB memory (updates for the new, bigger memory kits are on the way though).” …
So can anyone here build a theoretical/actual system with this info if it is correct!?! … about the wait how will this go about firmware or bios!?! … also what it is about 8-Channel controller … will it be physical refresh of Z790 and we should hold for now buying any Z790 NUC!?! thank you!

Why are you banging on about 4x kits? The laptops will take only 2 RAM boards. The FW AMD machines can already use 2x 48GB RAM kits. The link you provided is totally irrelevant as it is a year old, and is describing the build of a high end desktop workstation, so is also irrelevant to laptops.

NUC 4x96gb

i’m confused. what is the relevance to framework laptops?

That is exactly what I’m saying in my post.

cuz FW notebook approach in this post-AI-Winter is little and late … (high school) children in west will soon need portable 256gb ram devices (till unified ram+drives arrive) … FW is silent on CAMM and CAMM2 … 4x96 is the only available option but intel’s docs dont take into account these specialty fabs and list say NUCs/CPUs as compatible with general market max…Asus mentoring NUCs has added insult to injury (no more xeon-nuc) and all others HP/Dell/MS etc are busy matching their laptops with nail-polish shades…

4x96 isn’t an option. a) the frameworks only have two ports, b) there do not exist 96g sticks in the appropriate form factor.

also you keep bringing up things that have nothing to do with frameworks.

thats what i am asking FW is what they are now addressing is too little too late … .goal posts have moved … the experts seniors here in FW forums can help us tell FW \roadmap so whether we keep hope else where to go … as soon; this niche i am talking will no more be niche in this post-AI-winter…new gen kids will need 256gb+ ram “portable” devices/lab instead glued to xeon-1U chassis servers or giant tower ones at home and better collab physically by carrying say NUC “portable-powerhouse-brick” to places and collab… its now uselss to waste breath with HP/Dell/Lenovo/MS etc hell MateBook has higher chances … anyway this FW forum, reddit, NUC (unfortunately now asus) are the few renowned/respected sources left for guidance. in addition to 4x96gb in last posts … 4x48gb can also be an acceptable start but despite Z690 / Z790 motherboards have 4 slots the arc.intel keep saying 96gb max… i need to know atleast anybody has 1st hand experience with like 4x48gb with NUC 14 pro+.

NUC is not a laptop. Give a laptop example of what you are wanting. Otherwise, there is no “too little too late” since there is no very popular example existing on the market of what you say.

laptop or not (though it is) … FW despite champion of open model is iteself not disclosing its intent over this new emergence standing right in fornt … its is this vagueness that atleast an open forum might help in exploring other avenues instead us putting all or eggs in FW basket and wait… again to laptop or not… NUCs are clear emergence where laptops failed, failing, throttling and and even handicapping for decades… our kids/youth coming out of highschools already is (2+ years) late to work on AI/ML etc in a physical (non teamviewer/rdp) collaborative manner and laptops are not only hindrance, busy matching with lipstick shades but a slow poison in progress. hopefully this open forum (instead a framework) will make FW listen and announce something else someone here might give clue for how to run ~256gb ram in respected SFF/NUC/2.5L brand. … Pixel 9 pro (out of box) and Pixel 8 Pro (with OTA) is supporting wireless-HDMI so google is turning its phones into processing-powerhouse-bricks where laptops are siting duck as said above… soon even pixel-phones will take place of even chromebooks and Windows-12-ARM is few months away… so ditching laptops as restrictive monopoly is a strong case… batteries are getting denser too… so soon this NUC brick will contain everything … with/without wireless-HDMI i can take my NUC out of bag and hook to my professor’s home/lab screen…

What a load of rubbish, disjointed text, claiming things that have no basis and with no references. FW don’t need to tell anyone what their plans are, that is up to them to decide, not your ramblings that are not backed up by any facts.

You keep bringing up machines that have no relation to any FW current product.

It is already possible to put 256GB RAM into an AMD based FW when large enough RAM chips become available. I would suggest such SODIMM modules are likely to be available before CAMM modules become widely available.

We’ve moved your discussion about NUCs to its own thread in General Topics.

Please note that Framework has made no announcements in this area and so will not comment on it.

Please limit off-topic discussions to General Topics.

3 Likes

… Pixel 9 pro (out of box) and Pixel 8 Pro (with OTA) is supporting wireless-HDMI so google is turning its phones into processing-powerhouse-bricks where laptops are siting duck as said above… soon even pixel-phones will take place of even chromebooks and Windows-12-ARM is few months away… so ditching laptops as restrictive monopoly is a strong case… batteries are getting denser too… so soon this NUC brick will contain everything … with/without wireless-HDMI i can take my NUC out of bag and hook to my professor’s home/lab screen…

Quote from my above already said post … “AMD pitfalls/boobytraps of their never ending “SEV” “SNP” “P-State” handicap drivers/kernel patches and ever aw so inspiringly epic claims of efficiency with ever so “next” linux kernel driver/pstate updates” Also threadripper etc all have proved now sham and beaten at hands of newer revision intel CPUs…no more bang for the buck

Keep the Community Guidelines in mind while responding.

There is no such thing as “wireless-hdmi” per se. The only thing that comes close is miracast, which is an open standard by the wifi-alliance and existed since 2012. It was introduced to Android in 2012 with 4.2 Jellybean, though later replaced by Google cast.
What you might be referring to, is USB-C DP alt mode, which only Pixel 8 (and newer) models support.

The Pixel 9 has not been announced by Google or even really mentioned, they haven’t even released the Pixel 8a yet.

There has been no such announcement by Microsoft, only thing we know, is that Windows 12 is currently in development.
It is rumored to be heavily cloud-focused and based on a subscription model anyway, so heavy ARM processing power won’t even be needed.

AMD still has the upper hand on Workstation CPUs. And Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX when compared to an Intel Xeon w9-3945X is on average 30% faster in almost all workloads while still being cheaper and way more power efficient.

USBC DP ALT MODE is short ref for wireless hdmi (wireless Dex equivalent)… win 12 is not just cloud native…whole directx-12 stack has been rewritten for arm native emulation/translation… MS n qualcom r working hand in glove for win12-arm n Soc release in few months will demonstrate a win12-arm build to showcase photoshop,premier etc native speed demonstrations… about AMD i said … “AMD pitfalls/boobytraps of their never ending “SEV” “SNP” “P-State” handicap drivers/kernel patches and ever aw so inspiringly epic claims of efficiency with ever so “next” linux kernel driver/pstate updates” Also threadripper etc all have proved now sham and beaten at hands of newer revision intel CPUs … AMD wins momentarily but looses face down …back n forth cinebench etc have proven time n again…plus the pitfalls with “SEV” “SNP” “P-State” handicap drivers/kernel patches… its not just speed or cheaper …risks of advanced (even software only) stacks setup hitting road blocks with AMD cuz of drivers etc are always dangerously high…

Not to sound disrespectful, but please back up your claims, some of them are just nonsensical and outright wrong.
I don’t know if you’re trolling or just misinformed.
Interacting with this thread is quite nonsensical.

2 Likes

This thread is proving to be too contentious. It will now be closed.

You can continue this conversation privately if you wish.

1 Like