OcuLink Expansion Bay Module

Photos won’t be available until I at least get some form of prototype in for the OcuLink Expansion Bay Modules. LTE Module photo should be up in 20 or so days. ETA for the RP2040, Serial, and DongleHider+ is 14-21 days. LTE and OcuLink is closer to 30-60 days.

3 Likes

OcuLink 8x update emails have been sent, people who ordered the 4x module will also receive an update soon, but if you purchased both modules, you will only receive the 8x update.

5 Likes

Hey Josh wonderful work I have some questions tho regarding the 8x module

Mainly does it support the stock expansion bay fans or any fans

And does it come with a new cover with a port in the back

I’m really interested but these might be a deal breaker for me

If you even are able to make a 3D printable part for the port that works too

But the fans are a requirement as I don’t want to have to buy a whole new expansion bay and have to swap out the interposer and bay every time I want to use oculink

The OcuLink expansion bay module uses the Expansion Bay Shell with the Graphics Module interposer, and you just need to swap over the port cover with my 3D printed version that is included.

3 Likes

What about the fans that come with the expansion module?

Is there a connector for them on this new PCB?

Yep, there is an FFC/FPC connector on the PCB that will allow the fans that come with the shell to work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification I just ordered one

Hi, it seems the FW16 option came back to the table, as they finally support my local keyboard.

So where we are with this? The 8x Oculink sounds good - is there also corresponding enclosure for GPU?

I do not plan on making an enclosure, but I plan to test a few different enclosures and then crowdsource compatibility information.

1 Like

OK so there actually are some enclosures? Sounds good!

You can buy a bunch of enclosures on aliexpress. egpu.io has all the tests and reviews.

1 Like

Yep, I found separate metal enclosure, oculink 8i pci x16 board, and a cable. Those were quite cheap, hopefully they are good enough to work full speed.

I also put order in for Josh :s kit.

Links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005266235077.html (long atx model)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006051805558.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006651598613.html

1 Like

Mind linking what you picked up?

Sure, added

@Josh_Cook I gathered there is an USB2 output as well? That is interesting, I was thinking maybe I’d take mine without the connector (or solder it off), and use it to have either an internal flash or PKI “stick” instead, obviously without plastic covers. I wonder how much space there is internally?

1 Like

Yep, there is a USB2 socket, but if you have no use for it, I can remove it off your module myself if you want to use it for an internal device and I’ll include a 3D printed back piece with no hole for the socket. It should be able to fit a USB flash drive or similar with the enclosure removed, according to the drawing, there is 5mm of clearance on the top side of the PCB. Just send me a DM with your order number and I’ll add a note to your order if you would like me to do so.

1 Like

Is the USB socket on the 8x version as well, or just the 4x? Would a Logitech Lightspeed dongle fit in that socket and, more importantly, the signal be able to penetrate the housing? Could be a good ‘integrated’ usb dongle hider, if so.

1 Like

I had the same thought for a while. I feel like the signal should be able to go through fine since it is just some plastic above the keyboard.

There is a solution for that. GitHub - LeoDJ/FW-EC-DongleHiderPlus: Framework Expansion Card that includes a USB hub to hide a bare dongle inside and still have a USB-A port externally
@Josh_Cook has those for sale.

Wait…@Josh_Cook (or anyone for that matter) sells a logitech dongle hider?