Open Sourcing our Firmware

Paging @DHowett !!

Based on some of the comments by Kieran in that excellent thread, I’m sure there’s cooperation.

4 Likes

This is definitely something to look into! :eyes:

5 Likes

This is fantastic news — thank you!

1 Like

Absolutely amazing! This is why I love the framework team lol, it’s a refreshing breath to have a team so intertwined with the consumers.

3 Likes

HELL YEAH FRAMEWORK TEAM! Thanks so much!

edit notes: switched to more inclusive language! “guys” is not inclusive. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Maybe this will lead to a cure for the issue with my Framework laptop where it drains the main battery when completely shut down.

2 Likes

Great news. Thank you, Framework team!

Now I am checking the source code. Maybe the following diff shows the Framework specific modifications.

$ git diff c7fea151a88925c8167d7ad788452cdca3635215..hx20

or GUI.

2 Likes

They really did it! :confetti_ball:

@junaruga from the readme:

Most changes are limited to the following folders, however there are some modifications in common.

board/hx20
chip/mchp
2 Likes

This is absolutely awesome, congratulations Framework! :smiley:

Aww, thanks! We love Framework too! :heart:

4 Likes

Would Coreboot be able to make use of this?

1 Like

@nrp – Thank you! This news switched my planned purchase of a Star Labs Starbook Mk V to a Framework Laptop. I’m looking forward to more news of this sort, especially re: BIOS/UEFI firmware.

4 Likes

I would give you a standing ovation, but I’m sitting at my desk :slight_smile:

All jokes aside, very well done Framework Team

1 Like

With the EC now open, does that mean that it’s possible to map a ThinkPad keyboard to the framework laptop? It sounds like a fun thing to try out.

Nice. Also looks like you’ve already fixed the amber blinking LED when charge is disabled because of the limit: https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/EmbeddedController/commit/d8fa4cc0f83d49d3c912cc8a5bfed2823bf662a9

4 Likes

This sounds like fantastic news, though I’m not extremely clear on what exactly the EC Firmware controls. What sort of projects can I expect to be able to try using this?

This sounds really cool! Do we know where/what flags (if any) gets set when the Fn lock is toggled? Because I have a cool idea for a Windows tray app, and it sounds like “Fun Indicator!”

Nothing that is exposed to the host, unfortunately! In board/hx20’s keyboard customizations you can see how Fn is tracked, but that’s all internal state.

2 Likes

Great to see it, Framework team!

Thinking ahead for the future, I’m hoping to fill in a few gaps in my understanding of how to actually utilize this firmware.

1. What are the methods for actually programming new EC firmware? Is there an exposed flash programming interface on the mainboard? The BIOS updates have clearly been doing it through some software-based approach as well.
  2. Would there be any best-practices for reducing risk in experimenting with firmware changes? Some form of QEMU that can help at least verify the board won’t immediately halt and catch fire (even if the pretend hardware isn’t quite right)? Have a flash programmer on hand and a known-good copy of the EC firmware lying around? Test on an ARM M4 devboard? Give the code a second read through before programming?

My previous experience making changes in CPU boot firmware was only ever tested via FPGA emulation, so I’ve never needed to worry about actually breaking something :slight_smile:

Edit: poking around a bit, ARM’s Fixed Virtual Platforms for the Cortex-M4 seem to require licenses, so that (coupled with the fact that there doesn’t look to be any Microchip Cortex-M4 platforms in the current set of qemu-system-arm boards) probably eliminates any “simple” QEMU-esque approaches

The readme points to traces on the mainboard where you can debug (and presumably flash) the EC via JTAG. Though you would need some extra hardware/solder some wires.

I would also be interested in a guide for a software approach though.

2 Likes

Looks like @DHowett put together more details on software programming in a previous post. That ectool binary mentioned there is built by default with the repo’s hx20 instructions under build/hx20/utils/ectool. make utils builds it separately under build/bds/util/ectool as well.

1 Like