Overcoming the M.2 2230 size limitation

Many thanks for the insightful information.
For now, I’ll wait until I got my Framework Laptop 16, then try the extender I modified in this post.

In case that fails, I’ll re-check the options you provided here.
I did a quick check on EMI shielding tapes, and I’m concerned, that if wrap that around the cable and stuff it inside the laptop as-is, it might lead to short circuits due to its conductiveness. And if I wrap duct tape around the EMI shielding tape to prevent that, it might become as sturdy as the cable of my current extender.
Hopefully the shipping costs from the UK aren’t that bad… :wink:

Have you thought about using Kapton tape?

2 Likes

As I already mention in my initial post, I am no hardware expert, so I’m grateful for any useful suggestions in that regard. Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kapton tape, or generically polyimide tape, is often used on and around circuit boards because it’s an insulator / non-conductive, and extremely temperature resistant. They actually also use it to make flexible circuit boards since it’s fine even at solder melting temps. It’s orange colored and in the form of tape it’s as thin as common clear packing tape. Real brand name Kapton tape can be expensive, but generic polyimide tape is less., found on amazon, ebay, or aliexpress (often still advertised as “kapton”).

but does not work with high temps and can even literally be just sticky coloured plastic with no special material properties

There is a difference between polymide tape that is not called capton and random yelow tape that is labeled polimide or capton.

So in other words, beware of fake products? “Accept no substitutions!”

Real:
Kapton (brand name)
Polymide (real generic)

Fake:
Capton (bootleg/fake)
Polimide (fake)

1 Like

As long as it is actually polymide, there are people selling all kinds of tape as polymide but if you can hold a soldering iron to it and it doesn’t shrivel up or light on fire there is a good chance you got polymide.

1 Like

*Polyimide

1 Like

I have a roll of very wide polyimide from aliexpress. The very cheapest seller I could find. It works fine. If you just need it for a hobby project, wide rolls of Kapton brand are too expensive when generic works. If it was products I was selling, certainly I’d get my rolls from a better source. Just because you don’t want the potential hassle of getting a roll with poor adhesive.

I wouldn’t think actual fake polyimide is common, or a big risk. There isn’t much point since it’s so easy to test. And since you can dispute on alie and ebay, I’ve done it for other things.

They sometimes use “Kapten” or “Kaptan”.
I’ve used tape with Kapten marked on it. Works fine.

Trust Kapten brand tape! For all your taping needs. (image)

I got a bunch of generic stuff from aliexpress and a few of them were fake, I have long given up on believing just cause it’s easy to test the won’t try to fake/half-ass it. Good thing purchase protection from aliexpress in pretty good in cases like that.

Genuine polyimide is around 100USD for an A4 sheet.

There are plenty of options for genuine polyimide tape for much less and in much more practical sizes on Digikey, McMaster-Carr, etc.

The statement “Could use a heatsink” under the “Cons” is what convinced me, to buy a P31 Gold instead.