Overheating framework 13

Hi,

My framework 13 keeps overheating even when I do very basic tasks such as watch a video. We’re talking too hot to touch the top. I don’t know if it has been adressed, but I couldn’t find the same topic.

Here are my specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1280P 1.80 GHz
32 Go of Ram
Windows 11 pro

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You may search for similar posts, it may be a poorly seated CPU or . . .

https://community.frame.work/search?q=overheating

Might be, but the cpu came preinstalled. Is there anyway to check that without dismanteling everything?

You can check the temp of the cores. If one is high then it may well indicate a poor seating.

https://community.frame.work/t/temp-spikes-under-single-core-load-possibly-uneven-thermal-paste-application/33802

I checked the temps and all the cores seem to heat up more or less the same. The fan works well because as soon as I stop the load (Very light) that causes the heat to go up, it cools the cpu pretty quickly.

1 Like

Just got my i7 13th gen Framework 13, and I’ve been noticing under heavy single threaded loads (say, unzipping a file,) the fan spins pretty high and the cpu gets pretty hot. This, to me, feels like a bad thermal paste application. Is it worth replacing the paste? Or is this just how modern Intel CPUs are? My last laptop was an AMD 4800H so I’m not so hip to the new intel nonsense.

edit: Browsing i7z, it looks like it’s mostly cores 4 and 5 (logically 6 and 8, because hyperthreading) seem to be the most problematic.

Here is a sreenshot after playing Fallout shelter. I’m not a gamer, but I use photoshop and after effect for work. I’m between two jobs now. If it heats up with Fallout Shelter, It’s going to melt with Ae…

It’s only a few cores, I wanted to ask before I go opening it up in case this is just intel being intel and nothing to be concerned about. I’ll pop it open later today or tomorrow to see.

1 Like

97 degrees max is still below 100 degrees and not thermal throttling, and is therefore safe for your processor. Please also send temps when running AE or PS for comparison, I expect those to be high 90s as well.

That being said, too hot to touch the top is interesting. Don’t think I’ve ever had the keyboard, trackpad, or palm rest area get hot. The vents in the hinge will heat up, and below if it’s sitting on my lap for sure. Are you by any chance sensitive to heat? If not, I’d contact support about heat transferring to the top. Be advised that they’re currently flooded with tickets as the 16” preorder opened today.

1 Like

On this note, installing thermald seems to have let the fans chill a bit, but now it still randomly gets pretty warm. I’ll pop it open this week to see if there’s an obvious problem, but this seems to be related to an intel 13th gen power draw issue I’ve been having elsewhere.

1 Like

If you’ve not bought a laptop or even a desktop for several years the changes in CPU tech can be a shock in how they work. Turbos are way higher than they used to be and more extreme.

I’ve had customers bring me their new laptops complaining they are noisy and hot and I check them and…working as intended.

These CPUs are like highly tuned high revving F1 engines. Lots of heat and noise.

Nature of the beast. Hot stressed little CPUs in tight small spaces. After all so many of you wanted thin crispy laptops…

1 Like

My last laptop was also a thin and light (though it was 15 inch) with an AMD 4800U. I understand it gets hot under load (if I load the CPU then that’s on me,) but it seems to randomly get spiked or something and then run up to 80-90C, before the fans then kick on and calm it down a bit. Also, it getting hot in my bag, even in deep sleep, is super stupid. More work on suspending needs to be done on my part.

Ssuspend is screwed in most cases especially if using Windows. I don’t use any of that. It’s either on or off for me. Too much trouble otherwise.

1 Like

This is Linux, where s3idle (not s2idle, which is the bs “modern standby”) is supposed to work (and at least doesn’t fail by crashing or causing a kernel panic)

Please at least check the ways sleep behavior on s2idle and deep differs in Linux on the Framework. For me, it was counterintuitive and s2idle actually gives me a better, less random experience on Fedora 37.

I’ll take a swing at it today or tomorrow.

Seems like those temperatures are within normal range to me. I don’t have that laptop CPU but on desktop I see intel temps going to almost 90 on all P cores during sustained loads. My own AMD desktop CPU sits around 70-80 during load as well. Point being if its not thermal throttling (hitting 100) then it will continue to boost power, using more energy and thereby releasing more heat.

That’s in spec for modern stuff, they’re engineering to run in the 90s these days. And anything over 65c is going to feel pretty dang hot to touch; bits of the case may be getting that high.

In fact, the case getting hot is a good sign for thermal paste - it’s transferring heat. When you get high internal temps and a cold chassis, it isn’t transferring heat - then it’s time to re-paste.

Isn’t modern computing fun? The days of running single fan desktops with one tiny thermal outlet via the PSU are long gone. Laptops get hot too.

Watch some current Jays 2c videos to get the unflattering truth on how hot CPUs will go, no matter the extent of your cooling solution. They just boost longer.

*Edit: Oh, and obviously listen to FW over me. If support say they’ve configured this for lower temps by all means go with them - but lets us know too, I’d be curious.

Results are in: From having it plugged in at 230pm (at 100%,) with s2idle it used 100% of the battery by 11pm.

There is a concern here, if the chassis is over ~55C (it’s something around that) it has the very real chance of causing serious burns if left for too long. I believe the EU has some safety standards around this, though I don’t know the enforcement.

That’s…interesting. My 11th gen on Fedora 37 will go about 20 hours on s2idle. I would assume that the core nonsense is to blame. If deep isn’t a good experience either, I think this may be a wait-out-the-kernel issue given the relative novelty of the 13th gen’s design.