Personal NAS Project

Quick update, final case revision is on the printer and my TrueNAS core is all but put together, just waiting on my new AMD board to start it up for fulltime load. switching from my WD Cloud pr4100 to this will be a world of difference for my steam library and game server hosting. while im still using the input cover shim, im not using it for the power button and instead i hooked up the power supply and made the mainboard power on AC attach. I have 5 out of my 6 drives ready to go (4 of which are coming from the WD). Cant wait to play around with my new ryzen board when it comes in. Thanks for the help everyone! Since ive created a case for this i will be uploading the STL for it shortly, ill also include a list for what off the shelf products im using for final deployment.

2 Likes

a shopping list is included for the off the shelf parts used in my deployment

4 Likes

now that i have the hardware all figured out, everyone’s still waiting on their new Ryzen boards, so lets talk software. i have truenas up and running on a 256gb expansion card and i might use another one as a caching layer, my main use case for having a nas is to have bulk storage for my main pc (photos, videos, documents, and a sizable steam library) and also i plan on playing around with game server hosting, luckily truenas makes it really simple to open docker containers inside it, what os would be best for game servers. most likely minecraft, ark, satisfactory being hosted, id prefer to have a relative beginner friendly linux distro because im not a compsci major and have no idea what to do on a command line. let me know if you have any thoughts.

…that’s also lightweight because it’s virtualized and why have it bigger than you need - why not Linux Mint XFCE? Beginner friendly for sure, lightweight, with “just enough” graphical nicety that you won’t have to use the command line, supports anything Ubuntu/Debian supports.

thats definitely convenient, ive used linux mint on my framework before and i agree with it being lightweight enough to not impact my set aside performance.

1 Like

I’m very familiar with TrueNAS, having installed FreeNAS onto dedicated server hardware 10 years ago and updated it to TrueNAS. Right now I’m updating the hardware and trying to move the install over. I have to say, TrueNAS is not terribly virtualization friendly IMHO. I would be more inclined to use TrueNAS SCALE for that. For one, it’s way more Linux friendly, since it IS Linux rather than FreeBSD on TrueNAS CORE. Another reason - TrueNAS CORE can be very picky about hardware. You will encounter a surprise if you try Framework’s Ethernet card, which has a Realtek chip in it which TrueNAS CORE doesn’t support. (There are workarounds though.) Also TrueNAS CORE is really demanding of storage hardware. I’m way too nervous to use one of those M.2 to SATA adapters, I don’t think it’ll work well. The JMicron and ASMedia chips in these adapters are not enterprise-y enough for TrueNAS CORE.

If you’re just a beginner at this it may be a difficult road. Get it nice and stable before putting it into “production”.

This is not to say TrueNAS CORE is bad, just to say it’s rather demanding. Once you get it up and running though, it’s bulletproof. My nearly 10 year old server has 4 drives with 77,800 hours on them and the server has not failed me even once.

i did notice it wouldnt pick up an IP on the first boot through my ethernet adapter, after a fresh boot to the most recent update where they actually adressed the realtek adapters it worked just great. its up and running and im waiting for the new board to actually set up my pool since i need my laptop for college currently. i will look at getting scale downloaded to see how it works out as well though.

1 Like

would there be any chance to use it as a router as well, id like to host a hotspot off of it to connect to the internet but i know it doesnt support wifi chips so would that be a problem?

For that you might be better off running proxmox or something on the board and running truenas and your other servers inside that.

even more of a reason to have proxmox under it so you can put more different stuff on it. The hardware itself is a bit too overpowered to just be a nas anyway.

1 Like

thats a great idea, ill look into it

There are one or two threads on that here. Something like pfSense or OPNsense would be ideal for that and both definitely do support WiFi.

As @Adrian_Joachim says, don’t run pfSense from within TrueNAS, run it on its own virtualized alongside TrueNAS. Make sure both have dedicated/allocated resources (threads and memory).

This is actually great! I’ve switched to proxmox and I’ve played around a bit with virtualization and this is exactly what I was looking for, I’ll likely go into opnsense because it sounds like the easier set but ill probably try out both.

2 Likes

oh boy i sure do love coming back here! after about $100 on filament and it never fitting together ive come back here for help. so far ive been printing in PETG because i live in an apartment and cant print in abs. it still will not print to scale, what other options would i have available? ive seen people make atx-framework brackets for stuff like this so that for sure an option. but would it be worth my while to keep trying on this case i designed? it might not look like much but it did take me a while to make since i had to teach myself 3d design for it. should i send it off for printing services? having a full or mid tower case seems like a bit too much for this project, i might try redesigning the case from scratch since im in batch 5 and definitely have the time to do it. do you guys know of any good small formfactor cases that would work?

Have you printed a calibration cube on your printer to check dimensions?

I print in a lot of PETG and have not had dimensional shift on cooling issues. Well within the measurement tolerances of my calipers. I suppose it is possible with stuff that is doped with a ton of colorants or modifiers…

1 Like

Finally figured it all out! ended up just using painters tape to give some more bed adhesion.
And with that it is complete!! files for my final deployment including off the shelf products i used can be found on my github. heartbreakingly, i broke my board while putting it together when the bottom two peices came apart and broke some internals in the board. since the 1135g7 isnt for sale anymore i get to upgrade to a 1165g7 board instead.

1 Like

Name brand Magigoo, or DIY version (it’s pretty much just glue stick and water and a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol IIRC), or the top shelf Vision Miner nano polymer adhesive would be my go to if you were having bed adhesion issues. I haven’t had too many issues since I changed to garolite fiberglass bed.

1 Like

Any final pics?