Plan for Europe

Has there been an update on the availability of the Laptop in Europe? I know that end of 2021 was the plan, but is this still achievable?
I am asking because I need a Laptop in Q1 2022 and I want to wait for the framework.

5 Likes

Yes, the EU will be before the end of the year, if you really need it you could use a shipping forwarder or just wait for the EU release.

3 Likes

I have a question regarding the latest mail that discussed the plan for Europe, giving Germany as an example with EU plugs, German keyboard, etc. My question is - will I be able to order from Germany with US keyboard? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would guess that this is not an issue, but to be sure, I would send an email directly to Framework support and ask them. Here, unless a member of Framework comments, we are just speculating.

:+1:

2 Likes

I just hope they don’t stall on Dutch keyboards for the Dutch market, seeing as basically no-one knows of them or uses them here… Like, using a Dutch KB on the Dutch market would basically be something that makes dutch people NOT buy the machine… The US KB is king here. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I really hope they’re not getting bogged down with setting up importers for every single country in the EU. That would be about as smart as not shipping from California to Texas until you’ve set up an importer in Texas… But they’re the businessmen, so they hopefully know this, but the language of that blog scares me a bit there.

If you’re selling anywhere in the EU, you can sell everywhere in the EU. It’s basically the whole point of the EU. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yeah, they released an update just earlier today (Check about → blog on the main site) that confirmed they plan to open up pre-orders for a few foreign countries by the end of the year. They didn’t specifically mention Europe, but they used Germany as an example where they explained the challenges of localizing and why they’ve faced some setbacks, so I would bet 100% that at least one of the early countrys is going to be in Europe, likely Germany and the UK at minimum.

2 Likes

I’ve asked support and here is the answer:

Hi, we will generally have US International English keyboard systems in most countries.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, Framework can just sell in one country and offer localized keyboard caps to cover all of them.

In my country (Bulgaria) we use US layout and additional Cyrillic layout etching or sticker in the bottom right part of the key. Stickers I can find here myself, they are usually universal. Special etched caps would be a great bonus, but not really required for most people. Casual users would prefer them though, if available.

2 Likes

I did not find this update, do you have a link?

1 Like

Sure! It was actually recently reposted right on this forum, which might make it easier to view: Scaling Up Infrastructure

1 Like

Just don’t make keyboards for Romanian. Don’t even think about it because nobody uses them. Actually when I bought my macbook, I was offered a discount to get the keyboard but then I politely refused like most of the customers as US keyboards are the norm here.

Just the power plug should be European everything else can be like in the US version. Even the labels should be in English since there’s no standardized technical language and tbh I can’t even understand technical Romanian, like most people I just use the English version of the words.

I think the layouts they plan to offer initially are the ones already listed on Framework Marketplace:

• Blank ANSI, Blank ISO
  • Clear ANSI, Clear ISO
  • Belgian
  • English International, English (UK)
  • French (France), French (Canada)
  • German, Italian, Korean
  • Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Latin American)
  • Traditional Chinese
3 Likes

Any ideas when there will be a UK release date?

1 Like

Hopefully in this month they will open preorders.

3 Likes

So, if someone didn’t notice - Europe preorders opened today for three countries - UK, France and Germany. All layouts available in each. I already preordered DIY in Germany. :slight_smile:

1 Like